Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Calling Vintage ARIA experts - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Calling Vintage ARIA experts

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
For a long time, I've been keeping an eye on eBay to try and find something similar to my first guitar but as yet I've been unable to work out what it was.

I have no pictures of the guitar, so only what I can remember and some of that maybe a bit mixed up, but there were a few things which I think were unusual and may help...

So, jump back to about 1985... I wanted an electric guitar but I knew nothing about them - I remember drawing a Strat outline and being specific that that was what I wanted, I knew I didn't want an LP style because that looked too much.like an acoustic (weird I know).

We went to Wishers in Derby (long gone) and bought a second hand Aria, I'm guessing from the 70s, and here are the features I recall:
- it was a Strat shape
- it had a Strat headstock with a script Aria logo
- It was sunburst
- it had just 2 single coil pickups

In addition, I feel.like the bridge may have been the Jag style one used on the 1532, but I may be wrong.

The 2 single coil pickups is the bit that I'm absolutely sure about and this is the weird thing - could the guitar have been something like the 1532, but I'm convinced it was a Strat rather than offset shape - did any such guitar exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    RevMatt said:
    For a long time, I've been keeping an eye on eBay to try and find something similar to my first guitar but as yet I've been unable to work out what it was.

I have no pictures of the guitar, so only what I can remember and some of that maybe a bit mixed up, but there were a few things which I think were unusual and may help...

So, jump back to about 1985... I wanted an electric guitar but I knew nothing about them - I remember drawing a Strat outline and being specific that that was what I wanted, I knew I didn't want an LP style because that looked too much.like an acoustic (weird I know).

We went to Wishers in Derby (long gone) and bought a second hand Aria, I'm guessing from the 70s, and here are the features I recall:
    - it was a Strat shape
    - it had a Strat headstock with a script Aria logo
    - It was sunburst
    - it had just 2 single coil pickups

In addition, I feel.like the bridge may have been the Jag style one used on the 1532, but I may be wrong.

The 2 single coil pickups is the bit that I'm absolutely sure about and this is the weird thing - could the guitar have been something like the 1532, but I'm convinced it was a Strat rather than offset shape - did any such guitar exist?
    I was 'Wishers' - Or should I say my grandfather, then dad, then dad and me - Before we sold it to what was Carlsbro, in 1987 - Later became Academy of Sound 

You've got me on such a guitar when you say 2 single coil p/ups - I know Aria offered various grades of guitar within their range, as per Fender do today , but guessing yours was more of an entry level model - I still have the old stock book from back then, so will have a look in later and see if I can spot an appropriate model - Nice to know I might have sold you your 1st guitar - Mark
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
    That's a great bit of history, thanks @guitars4you - I remember the building in its various guises over the years but it was Wishers that got me started.

We didn't have a lot of money and the choice I had was between the 2 cheapest electrics in the shop, the Aria and what.might have been an Encore, but not sure - I do remember they were £40 each!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @RevMatt 1802t ??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    1802T?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @jasonbone75 and @ICBM - blimey you guys are good! That'll be the one.

Thanks gents - great to get an answer to my question and fill in my knowledge of Wishers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Impressive stuff!  Has the second one above had a pickup replacement, or did Aria change the spec?
    Philly_Q said:
    Impressive stuff!  Has the second one above had a pickup replacement, or did Aria change the spec?
    I think they changed the spec - I'm pretty sure the one I posted is later than the one jasonbone75 found.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think they changed the spec - I'm pretty sure the one I posted is later than the one jasonbone75 found.
    And it certainly looks more like the one I remember 
  • Yeah all above seems correct. I know little about Arias but I am good with computers  ;)

"Serial numbers on these guitars were arbitrary numbers and did not indicate date of manufacture. When dating these guitars only ballpark ranges is possible. One tip is the type of pickups. Single coil trapezoid face = mid to late 1960s, P-90 sized single and dual coil pickups = early 1970s, normal humbuckers and more strat like singles = early to mid 1970s."

Source is an old reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/18848065-original-minty-aria-1802t
  • Great thread 10/10, would read again.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    RevMatt said:
    That's a great bit of history, thanks @guitars4you - I remember the building in its various guises over the years but it was Wishers that got me started.

We didn't have a lot of money and the choice I had was between the 2 cheapest electrics in the shop, the Aria and what.might have been an Encore, but not sure - I do remember they were £40 each!
    Still a guitar shop now - Rattle 'n' Drum, so has been a shop there since 1984 - What is more remarkable, I have a pic from the mid 30's and what is now the roundabout at the top of Bradshaw Way, was a row of shops - My grandad was manager of the music shop back then (Brentnall's as per the old store in Nottingham) and lived above the shop - My dad was practically born there and lived there for nearly 20 years - So that little yard or two was my dad's hunting ground for years - I now have a pic of that old store and you can just see what is/was our old shop back then 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    RevMatt said:

Thanks gents - great to get an answer to my question and fill in my knowledge of Wishers!
    I know I've sold a lot of guitars but can't recall selling one of those - I do like such old nostalgia - I've loads of old pics of the store back then - In fact 2/3 of the old staff and me meet up every so often for a chat and a bite
    RevMatt said:

I know I've sold a lot of guitars but can't recall selling one of those 
    Ah,must have been one your staff - shame as that would have been a cool twist
    tFB Trader
    RevMatt said:
    RevMatt said:

I know I've sold a lot of guitars but can't recall selling one of those 
    Ah,must have been one your staff - shame as that would have been a cool twist
    Great to see that little bit of history that got you started 
  • @RevMatt 1802t ??

IIRC, also sold under other brand names - Commodore, etc. I have pics of my old one somewhere - will see if I can find them.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

IIRC, also sold under other brand names - Commodore, etc. I have pics of my old one somewhere - will see if I can find them.
    I knew you'd have had one at some point!
  • RevMatt said:
    "one"? 

;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Richtone Music have some vintage Arias for sale, though not the one you're after. The quality construction on these two look superb: 

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/aria-pro-ii-pe-r80-1981-cherry-red-hard-case-2nd-hand/

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/aria-rs750-1979-natural-hard-case-2nd-hand/
    beed84 said:
    Richtone Music have some vintage Arias for sale, though not the one you're after. The quality construction on these two look superb: 

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/aria-pro-ii-pe-r80-1981-cherry-red-hard-case-2nd-hand/

They are. The first one is surprisingly cheap - those go for more than that these days. Or at least they do if some tit hasn't drilled holes in it for a hideously inappropriate pickguard....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    beed84 said:

Thanks, I keep a regular eye on Richtone, in fact I bought a Pipa (Chinese lute) from them last month!

If anyone spots an 1802 let me know, be interested to get another for nostalgia reasons.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    RevMatt said:
    Lol!

Well, if you fancy the bass version, there’s one on FB Marketplace!

https://i.imgur.com/QeQLIvr.jpg

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/