Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Adding a TC Spark Booster - where does in go in my pedal array? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Adding a TC Spark Booster - where does in go in my pedal array?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3464
Just bought a TC Spark Booster from the classifieds on here and before receipt I would like to know where best to place it in my pedal array.

At the moment I have:

Guitar> Wah, SD-1, Big Muff, Flanger.

Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Answer: it depends.  Do you want it to give a gain boost or a volume boost?  And clean or dirty amp?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Answer: it depends.  Do you want it to give a gain boost or a volume boost?  And clean or dirty amp?

Volume boost.

Hopefully clean and drive channel?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Then pop it at the end of the chain. Your dirt channel will get a bit more gainy, but not as mushy as having it before overdrives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Then pop it at the end of the chain. Your dirt channel will get a bit more gainy, but not as mushy as having it before overdrives.
    This.  Or, in your amp's FX loop, if it has one.  Putting it before drive will make things more gainy and compressed, without getting much louder.  For a straight volume lift, you want it after your gain stages.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    I would also suggest in the FX loop but it depends! Getting a "volume boost" or "solo" boost is not as simple sometimes as just more gain. If the amp is already running close to its clean power limit any gain boost will just produce dirt with little subjective increase in volume. Remember, the bald figure is that you need TEN times the watts to double perceived loudness.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for the input Gents.

No FX loop on the amp so it looks like it needs to be at the end of the chain just before amp?
  • FWIW I run my boost pedal after my drive pedals but before modulation and delay. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Is it the small one or the full fat Spark boost?
  • I use mine in my amp send and return loop so I get a splendid volume boost for solos.  Excellent 
  • Neil said:
    Thanks for the input Gents.

No FX loop on the amp so it looks like it needs to be at the end of the chain just before amp?
    Yep, I would expect it to do the job best here, if your amp has the headroom.
    Sassafras said:
    Is it the small one or the full fat Spark boost?

The small one.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'd put it last for the volume boost, then.