Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Little fruit flies - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Little fruit flies

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
Is anyone else being plagued by these little buggers?  My kitchen is like a fly-arium.

I even accidentally drank several of them that kamikazed into my bottle of wine.
Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Those things I call banana flies probably , they seem to want to get in your face  they’re ridiculous ,they should know we can crush them easily but still they taunt us
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We had loads last week. 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tons of the little sods around, Get a jar, fill it with cider vinegar, cover with cling film, poke a few holes in the top, leave in affected area. Job done, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We have loads. They're a right pain. Need to invest in some spiders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited September 2023
    What’s the source?  Got lots of open windows, or are they breeding indoors somewhere?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Those things I call banana flies probably , they seem to want to get in your face  they’re ridiculous ,they should know we can crush them easily but still they taunt us

We can crush them easily but the little bastards never stay still long enough to be squashed.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    you may have some rotting food somewhere, perhaps in the foodbin or may need to invest in a scrotum washer.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Loads here too this last week
  • hate the little bastards

• crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited September 2023
    Had loads for weeks and fly spray doesn't kill them. They love the food waste bin so that's wrapped in a plastic bag now. I used to vacuum them off the window glass twice daily but finally did the vinegar in a tub and must be 200 dead ones floating in that. 
    But.. but.. I don't remember them from years back?

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Cider vinegar with a tiny drop of washing up liquid in it. The vinegar attracts them, the washing up liquid makes them sink when they land on it. Put it next to your fruit bowl.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    My Fruit bowl ???

My FRUIT bowl ???

:lol: :lol: :lol: 
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Using a spray only kills the hatched adults, it's the eggs you need to get....which you can't. The vinegar trick is best as they go to it as soon as they can, which is pretty much as soon as they hatch.

They like any rotting or wet plant material, so it doesn't need to be fruit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open dirty dishwasher, loaded and ready to go. 
    Insert plate with ketchup on it.
    Bleach the kitchen and remove all food sources.
    Wait for them all to feast on the ketchup before quickly closing the door, consigning them to their doom and maniacally laughing.

Vigilantly keep the kitchen uber clean for 2-3 days.
    Works for me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There was an old Emp that swallowed a fly
    I don't know why he swallowed a fly...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Dysophilageddon.  The biblical plagues have started.  The end is nigh.  We're all going to die!  Death is upon us all.
    Whoops, wrong thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Get a couple of carnivorous plants.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    merlin said:
    Using a spray only kills the hatched adults, it's the eggs you need to get....which you can't. The vinegar trick is best as they go to it as soon as they can, which is pretty much as soon as they hatch.

They also like to drown themselves in my red wine when I'm not looking.

Perhaps it smells too much like cider vinegar? I may need to sack the sommelier.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Add them to the list of other insects we never used to get many of in the house until recent years. The worst are those horrible thin and spindly spiders, they have pretty much infested our house, and breed like wild fire. You can blitz them with fly spray but the bigger ones can take a good blasting. The reason for those is the increase in wood lice. I put some ant killer down outside a few weeks ago and was shocked at how many wood lice it had unintentionally wiped out. Started to see more of those long thin black beetles too, that just don't die no matter how hard you stand on them.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Keiko said:
    Cider vinegar with a tiny drop of washing up liquid in it. The vinegar attracts them, the washing up liquid makes them sink when they land on it. Put it next to your fruit bowl.

I so want this to work. 
    I have built the trap.  Next to my bananas.  (That vinegar is remarkably pungent though.)
    And now, let's wait.

This sort of thing is pretty much why I still inhabit this forum.  Guitars?  Sure.  Fruit flies?  Oh yes!

• MaxA867 said:
    Tons of the little sods around, Get a jar, fill it with cider vinegar, cover with cling film, poke a few holes in the top, leave in affected area. Job done, 
    We've got them as well this morning. I suppose it's the warm weather. I'm giving this method a go! 
    I think there's something wrong with me.  I emptied a half drunk wine glass from last night into the sink and saw about a dozen of them, half of which were still alive...  but barely.  I then spent the next five minutes rescuing them from the sink with a bit of tissue and letting them dry out on the window ledge.

I hate killing anything.

If there was a humane fruit-fly trap, I'd use it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    goldtop said:

They also like to drown themselves in my red wine when I'm not looking.

Console yourself with the fact that they died pissed and happy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MaxA867 said:
    Tons of the little sods around, Get a jar, fill it with cider vinegar, cover with cling film, poke a few holes in the top, leave in affected area. Job done, 
    We've got them as well this morning. I suppose it's the warm weather. I'm giving this method a go! 
    Tried this and can report there's a fair few in there now. Most of them look pretty groggy. Probably have hangovers tomorrow. 
  • MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 19
    MaxA867 said:
    Tried this and can report there's a fair few in there now. Most of them look pretty groggy. Probably have hangovers tomorrow. 
    In solidarity with the pesky blighters I also have a hangover today. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I tried them but they aren't very filling so I'll probably just stick with an apple in future
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    merlin said:

Why don’t they F off into my garden which is full of wet plants then ?
  • Pour boiling water down your plughole every couple fo days, particularly the kitchen sink. It will kill the eggs that get laid in there.