Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). '72 Telecaster Deluxe - Classic Series vs Vintera? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

'72 Telecaster Deluxe - Classic Series vs Vintera?

What's Hot
I once again find myself GASsing for a '72 Telecaster Deluxe, an itch I have had many times but never quite scratched. Things have changed quite a bit since I was last here though, with Fender making proper CuNiFe Wide-Range Humbuckers again, and selling them as replacement sets.

I'm cheap by nature, so definitely something second hand, but I'm enough of a snob that I want Fender on the headstock rather than Squier. Based on that, I think my best options are the Mexican ones:
  • Classic Series '72 Telecaster Deluxe - MiM, apparently decent bodies but bad electronics. 12" radius "Vintage C" neck, medium jumbo frets, big Strat headstock.
  • Vintera 70s Telecaster Deluxe - MiM, better pickups but not proper CuNiFe, 9.5" radius "Thin C" neck, medium jumbo frets, big Strat headstock
Anyone have experience with either (or ideally both) of the above? Fairly sure I remember Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand saying the Classic Series was as good as his original 70s model once Creamery Pickups were installed, but I've not heard much about the Vinteras.

I think I'd probably yank the pickups out anyway and put either Fender CuNiFe's in, or the Creamery WRB-voiced ones, so I'm not too bothered by the differences there. From what I can see around the web, the original neck radius of the '72 deluxe was often reported as being 12", but everyone who has measured a vintage one says it's actually 9.5", so perhaps the Vintera is more period-accurate.

I'm ruling out the Vintera II, as it's brand new and I don't want a trem. Also ruling out the Road Worn model, as nitro is a faff and I don't like relicing. If there are any other interesting specials or FSRs I've missed, let me know.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 240
    Aren't the WRHBs too big for a normal HB routing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • willo said:
    Fairly sure both those models have WRHB shaped pickups, but they’re just conventional humbuckers in reality. It should be possible to drop the real ones in as replacements. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Classic is an excellent guitar. Really nice neck and in truth felt more playable than the vintage example I've played. We bought a secondhand one as the "workshop demo" guitar because it played so nicely in the shop. 

Sadly after much testing I've decided the pickups are terrible: unpleasantly microphonic but somehow dull at the same time. I'm sure 1M pots would liven it up a bit, but you may as well budget for the upgrade if you're going there. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Have you ever played real 70s Fender CuNiFe magnet pickups? They're really not that special, being unavailable for a few decades did wonders for their mythology in my opinion. 

If you've tried them and love them fair enough, go for it, but I never liked them and never heard anyone famous get anything notable out of them either. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    p90fool said:
    Have you ever played real 70s Fender CuNiFe magnet pickups? They're really not that special, being unavailable for a few decades did wonders for their mythology in my opinion. 

If you've tried them and love them fair enough, go for it, but I never liked them and never heard anyone famous get anything notable out of them either. 
    The pickups they used in the Classic series a few years back (and also in the Squier version) sounded very good. They had a single coil’s chime and attack, while being noticeably smoother and less noisy.
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    Alexlotl said:
    willo said:
    Fairly sure both those models have WRHB shaped pickups, but they’re just conventional humbuckers in reality. It should be possible to drop the real ones in as replacements. 
    Ah, that should be handy. Makes sense!

Also, @p90fool I'd be interested to hear more about your experiences with the originals. I was really interested in the rereleased Cunifes because, in the videos I'd heard they sounded great - very clear, but perhaps a bit too bright?
  • p90fool said:

To be fair, I haven’t, I’m going on reputation on the whole. I’ll have a go on an American Pro II next time I’m up at Gear4Music, if they have one.

As for famous players, I love Alex Kapranos’ work. Can do that David Byrne spiky rhythmic thing, but get some beefier sounds on the big riffs. I appreciate FF are a marmite band, though!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    willo said:
    Alexlotl said:
    willo said:
    Ah, that should be handy. Makes sense!

Also, @p90fool I'd be interested to hear more about your experiences with the originals. I was really interested in the rereleased Cunifes because, in the videos I'd heard they sounded great - very clear, but perhaps a bit too bright?
    I found them bright but still kind of lifeless really, a bit of a halfway house that vintage Firebird pickups do better.
    Obviously that's just me as lots of people love them, and as @Alexlotl says, Alex Kapranos is a very good shout.
  • p90fool said:

I played a fair few about 8 years ago when I was intending to buy one. They do sound different to the generic HB and I quite like them. However, I bought a 2015 MIM Tele Deluxe FSR (for how it played) and replaced the electrics. I replaced the wiring with a loom from a US-company (nice pots and switches, proper values) and bought a pair of WRHBs from The Creamery. Not CuNiFe, but voiced close enough that I'm happy. 

Famous players? Graham Coxon and Thom Yorke have both used them at Glasto appearances.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alexlotl said:

To be fair, I haven’t, I’m going on reputation on the whole. I’ll have a go on an American Pro II next time I’m up at Gear4Music, if they have one.
    Actually, looks like the American Pro II doesn’t have CuNiFe either, only the American Vintage II. I forgot how confusing Fender’s model names are at the top end of the line. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    I have a ‘72 Reissue Tele Deluxe from ca. 2008.  Not a Vintera, but I’m not sure if it’s a Classic series either.  It’s awesome and comfortable, though.

The WRHBs were physically different than regular humbuckers.  I ordered a new pickguard when I changed out my WRHBs.  They were too muddy to me.  But everything else about the guitar is great.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    p90fool said:

I don't know if they would count for you as famous but two guitarist who I like and have put out at least a few albums and played  gigs with old Wide Range pickup'd guitars Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead and Lee Ronaldo of Sonic Youth.

They're a bit older I suppose but pretty popular with my friends and bands I've played with.

(Unfortunately I've only tried one guitar with them - an old Tele but I only played it for a few minutes after soundcheck so I can't comment on how good the pickups are from experience. But those players above have made some great music)
  • Pabcrane said:
    p90fool said:

I don't know if they would count for you as famous but two guitarist who I like and have put out at least a few albums and played  gigs with old Wide Range pickup'd guitars Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead and Lee Ronaldo of Sonic Youth.

They're a bit older I suppose but pretty popular with my friends and bands I've played with.

(Unfortunately I've only tried one guitar with them - an old Tele but I only played it for a few minutes after soundcheck so I can't comment on how good the pickups are from experience. But those players above have made some great music)
    Yes! A '70s Starcaster. Forgot that. I've never played one of those. 
  • The pickups in my Vintera Tele Deluxe are quite dark sounding, they need a bit of eq to perk them up a bit. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    I used to have the Classic series '72, mid 2000s model. Easily as good a guitar as my USA Standard Tele of a similar age. Possibly the nicest neck of any guitar I've owned. Only parted with it to pay for a big mechanic bill when an engine blew itself apart and have lived with regret ever since. I even followed the guy I sold it to on eBay just in case he ever put it back up for sale!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter