Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Steinberger design - the Phin - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Steinberger design - the Phin

What's Hot
I saw a thread about this on TGP, and a quick google found this article:

Interesting looking new design near the bottom of the page - including a custom EMG pickup which is 3 humbuckers inside one unit, apparently:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

phin.jpg 81K
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Looks a bit Teuffel to me. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Are they still owned by Gibson? (as the headstock appears to have snapped off ;) )
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I may have a project from January at work which will see me hoteling 4-5 nights a week for 6 or so months, I was looking at the Yamaha SLG, but a Steinberg looks a better choice for travel.
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:
    Are they still owned by Gibson? (as the headstock appears to have snapped off ;) )

I see what you did there! I only scanned the TGP thread very quickly (I can't stay there for long), but the OP mentioned that since Gibson own the Steinberger name, this would probably come out under "NS Design", which isn't something I've ever heard of tbh.

Presumably shortly after that, Gibson will send Ned a cease-and-desist letter for stealing their intellectual property :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    I rmisread this as Tufnel and was about to give you a Wiz.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I like Steinbergers but I don't really like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sporky said:
    I'd settle for a sympathy LOL.

Presenting the Teuffel Tesla - I think the NS might be better looking. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ I think Teuffel peaked early with the marvellously loopy/design genius Birdfish.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I like the aesthetics of the Phin, but I doubt the ergonomics would work for me
  • Cool. I’d definitely give that a try. Probably a bit harder to swap the pickups out , tho . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I'd definitely change the body colour to make it a re-fin Phin. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    I love it but too many knobs in such a small body and I'm not a fan of multiscale guitars. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    nero1701 said:
    I may have a project from January at work which will see me hoteling 4-5 nights a week for 6 or so months, I was looking at the Yamaha SLG, but a Steinberg looks a better choice for travel.
    This will be a very expensive guitar.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I like it, especially that massive pickup.
  • scrumhalf said:
    I'd definitely change the body colour to make it a re-fin Phin. 
    If Juha Ruokangas did the job, it would be a re-fin on a Phin by a Finn.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    DiscoStu said:
    I like the aesthetics of the Phin, but I doubt the ergonomics would work for me
    That was my first thought. There’s not enough body for my forearm to hold the body in position. I remember trying the cricket bat. When ever I lifted my fretting fingers the neck had a tendency to follow, making it difficult to play cleanly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    It looks alright, but the pickup is weird for the sake of being weird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I prefer the original design 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Reminds me of there old Ibanez Guitar Synth

https://www.joness.com/gr300/img2010.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I saw a thread about this on TGP, and a quick google found this article:

Interesting looking new design near the bottom of the page - including a custom EMG pickup which is 3 humbuckers inside one unit, apparently:

Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    I'd settle for a sympathy LOL.

Presenting the Teuffel Tesla - I think the NS might be better looking. 

Well - that's two guitars I would have no aspirations towards owning.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Well quite. In fact as a thumb over player they're barely even guitars at all, the bottom one is just an electric harp. 
  • I wonder if they’ll do a Neil Finn signature model?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm always intrigued by stuff like this...but it seems a shame to have a headless guitar with 3" of string retaining gubbins beyond the nut.

Would love to have a bash on the Teuffel too!
  • carlos said:
    nero1701 said:
    I may have a project from January at work which will see me hoteling 4-5 nights a week for 6 or so months, I was looking at the Yamaha SLG, but a Steinberg looks a better choice for travel.
    Likely at the honer end of the market ;-)
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    nero1701 said:
    carlos said:
    nero1701 said:
    Likely at the honer end of the market ;-)
    The Hohner Steinberger version is an ace guitar, very handy for travels and not expensive 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I like everything except that hideous acre of plastic used to hide pickups. Hideous and a dealbreaker. 
  • Anyone seen these still for sale 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724

Personally, I think that this body shape is a better design than the original Ned Steinberger, which moved around too much for my playing style.

I can see it working very well for my seated style of playing, but I'd have to try the guitar before buying. I doubt it will made from a composite of carbon fibre/graphite.

Ned Steinberger has made a lot of instruments over the years, Double bass, Cello, Violin, Viola. All with the NS band name.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."