Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Hot Rod Deville speaker swap advice, ohms in particular - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Hot Rod Deville speaker swap advice, ohms in particular

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2139
I have a MkIV Deville, which I think is a great amp as a pedal platform.

It has two 8ohm Celestion A-Types fitted as standard and I have a pair of 16ohm Celestion Copperback Neos that I'd like to try in it, primarily to see if they will help cut a bit of the amp's natural bass, and also to shave a couple of kg off the payload.

The current speakers are wired in parallel (I think) to give a 4ohm load.  Is it safe to put the Copperbacks in with the existing wiring and run the amp at 8ohms?

I *think* it will be fine but ohms confuse the hell out of me so I'd appreciate some peace of mind.  I've already done the 230/240v mod on the amp by the way...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    edited September 2023
    I have no idea if that is the correct schematic for your amp but it shows a 4 Ohm tapping? So, problem solved?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    Thanks Dave, although that schematic may as well be Chinese writing to my lay eyes!

Are you saying the amp can only be run at 4 Ohms from the diagram?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    (Edit - ignore that, I read it the wrong way round.)

Yes, the amp does have an 8-ohm tap, but you will need to swap a couple of wires inside to access it. From memory they may be soldered connections though, rather than push-connectors.

If you’re going to do it, undo the white wire from the output jacks, move the green/yellow to where the white was, and the green to where the green/yellow was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    ICBM said:
    (Edit - ignore that, I read it the wrong way round.)

Yes, the amp does have an 8-ohm tap, but you will need to swap a couple of wires inside to access it. From memory they may be soldered connections though, rather than push-connectors.

If you’re going to do it, undo the white wire from the output jacks, move the green/yellow to where the white was, and the green to where the green/yellow was.
    Thanks very much, as always.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I forgot to add, move the grey wire (which is the negative feedback feed) along with the green/yellow wire, they go together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson