Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Don Letts on BBC Breakfast this morning - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Don Letts on BBC Breakfast this morning

What's Hot
Big PSA, guys.

I’m just in awe of the bloke. Speaking from the heart, a tiny bit controversial, and a new solo record on the way. So glad he’s still around, what a great human.

Have a look on catch-up if you missed it, it’s worth it. Apart from that twat Charlie whatever his name is doing the interview/not so cool.

Vive Don!!
I play at my dining room table.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I haven’t seen BBC Breakfast in ages, Charlie’s embarrassing interview style part of the reason. 
    Don is an interesting chap who has had done some cool work. I rewatched his documentary about skinheads not long ago and have a couple of his compilation albums but he’s a thoughtful person always worth a listen to. 
    I presume this is off the new record: 

https://youtu.be/dt98_LONPrs?si=gmAbDtr1MfEgSluE
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    His Big Audio Dynamite stuff was good but don’t know of any of his other work. What should I check out?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I know him as a film maker, DJ and presenter. He made some well regarded compilation albums of lesser known reggae tracks. I guess those will be on spotify or whatever now and worth a listen. Deadman will know more than me but I don’t really know of much he has done as a recording artist. 
  • Saw it this morning, had no idea who he was - but jolly entertaining and definately a fun night down the pub!
  • Starts one hour fifty into it on iPlayer. 
  • Quite entertaining. I was expecting a bit of a political rant although we didn’t get that. Charlie wasn’t horrendously embarrassing. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Not heard the whole album as yet (sort of Madness does dub reggae so far) but does have Holllie Cook featured on some tracks so I’ll tag @Placidcasual79 in as he might be interested. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I’ve got it on in my big bastard private garden in the countryside (currently on hols in Cornwall). I’m loving it so far and in fact I’m about to crack open some ale to go with it.
  • Not heard the whole album as yet (sort of Madness does dub reggae so far) but does have Holllie Cook featured on some tracks so I’ll tag @Placidcasual79 in as he might be interested. 
    Thanks @EricTheWeary I have this on my iTunes wish list - it was only released a couple of days ago..... and I have a few other things I want to get before this...... Hollie Cook is on a couple of tracks - I am still enjoying her most recent album and have just bought. the dub of it - it's good and has some excellent musicians on it..... but there was just something very special about Prince Phatty's production and mixing that is missed. 

Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips is on this album - which is interesting - in fact it sounds a bit like the Thievery Corporation album that Wayne Coyne was on.....

I think Don Letts has some strong mix/compilation albums out - that might suit him better - his entry in the 'late night tales' series is pretty good - has some newer stuff on it.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My knowledge of him is very poor @EricTheWeary but thanks for thinking I’m the authority on him :lol: 

Like most young Clash fans, I was introduced to him by his depiction on the cover of Black market Clash. At that moment, he was a hero to me and has been ever since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Deadman said:
    Big PSA, guys.

I’m just in awe of the bloke. Speaking from the heart, a tiny bit controversial, and a new solo record on the way. So glad he’s still around, what a great human.

Have a look on catch-up if you missed it, it’s worth it. Apart from that twat Charlie whatever his name is doing the interview/not so cool.

Vive Don!!
    I play in an originals band with his backing singer Tiece. She’s brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wow that’s really cool @Littlejonny ! Got any links you’d like to share?
  • This is our first release. Actually recorded live in the studio with a few overdub bvs. https://spotify.link/zeGlAqcABDb
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This is our first release. Actually recorded live in the studio with a few overdub bvs. https://spotify.link/zeGlAqcABDb
    Brilliant. I’m straight on it. Cheers!
    So, let’s get this straight, you’re playing (guitar?) on ‘Water’ Jonny? 
  • This is our first release. Actually recorded live in the studio with a few overdub bvs. https://spotify.link/zeGlAqcABDb
    I really like that grove - its a good recording too - feels like you're in the room. Brilliant 
    Very much so. It’s great!