Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Refinished Guitar Day - Baja Tele in 2tsb to Blackguard tribute with CUNIFE wr hb in neck - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Refinished Guitar Day - Baja Tele in 2tsb to Blackguard tribute with CUNIFE wr hb in neck

What's Hot
Another long term project finally realised. I purchased a Baja Tele in two tone sunburst back in 2020, and while i loved the feel of the guitar, I wasn't in love with the sound, or the poly finish.

Having had a Les Paul refinished last year by Paul at Retro169, it was a no brainer to pitch the project to him. I wanted to turn this Baja into a Blackguard tele, with a CUNIFE wide range hb in the neck.

Pickups have both been changed, as well as the CUNIFE, the bridge also has an Esquire - both of these are Mojo pickips. 

So from this.....

to this....

It sounds excellent and looks killer in my opinion. 
0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Someone's nabbed your switch tip  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    Very nice
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Great job mate, it looks great now. Ridding a decent Fender of its thick poly finish and replacing it with some thin nitro is a beautiful thing, just done the same thing myself.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Someone's nabbed your switch tip  ;)
    Only had a white one, awaiting delivery….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Deadman said:
    Great job mate, it looks great now. Ridding a decent Fender of its thick poly finish and replacing it with some thin nitro is a beautiful thing, just done the same thing myself.
    Totally agree, I adore fenders, but the poly finish puts me off almost everything. It looks better than my last custom shop now for 1/4 of the price.
    edited September 2023
    Vintage-T said:
    Deadman said:
    Totally agree, I adore fenders, but the poly finish puts me off almost everything. It looks better than my last custom shop now for 1/4 of the price.
    Brilliant. When I took the neck off my 2003 US Tele recently and a thumbnail sized piece of finish came away with it I knew I had to do something. I measured the thickness too, it was 500 microns. That’s a shit load of paint! And the guitar weighs 3oz less now. Really!
  • How much does it weigh now? Did you weigh it before and after?
  • That looks nasty :D 

I did this to mine a few years ago and often wondered if I should get it nitro'd...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Someone on this forum did this many years ago, the finish removed from the body weighed not far off 500g if I remember correctly. Worth doing if you find a good (decent weight, nice grain) Baja or similar imho.
    How much does it weigh now? Did you weigh it before and after?
    Sorry @victorludorum not sure if you're referring to me or Vintage-T but I did with my US (ash body).

Before weight was 7lb 15oz. After was 7lb 12oz. I used a calibrated scale too, not the kitchen/bathroom ones lol.
    Someone on this forum did this many years ago, the finish removed from the body weighed not far off 500g if I remember correctly. Worth doing if you find a good (decent weight, nice grain) Baja or similar imho.
    I remember it well and I promised myself I'd do the same, only I didn't get the Baja in the end but an equally disgustingly thick US Ash version. I also did see through blonde, not oil, I'm not hard core enough for that :anguished: 

I think you're referring to @Alnico, sadly not a frequent visitor any longer:

NGD - Born to Run Baja Telecaster - Guitar Discussions on theFretBoard
  • Sorry @Deadman I should have made it clearer. I was asking @Vintage-T ;
  • That looks like a great job. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited September 2023
    Lovely refinish and relic job! Out of interest is the body solid and if so how many pieces, or is it a veneer top and bottom? It’s hard to tell from the pics. Looks a cracker!
  • Someone on this forum did this many years ago, the finish removed from the body weighed not far off 500g if I remember correctly. Worth doing if you find a good (decent weight, nice grain) Baja or similar imho.
    Correction - it was just short of 300g.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170923163104/http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/bajage.html
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Lovely work.
    Didnt realise mojo had cunife magnets?
  • Lovely refinish and relic job! Out of interest is the body solid and if so how many pieces, or is it a veneer top and bottom? It’s hard to tell from the pics. Looks a cracker!

It looks like a 4-piece body to me.
  • Sorry @Deadman I should have made it clearer. I was asking @Vintage-T ;
    I didn’t weigh it, think any difference might be offset by adding the humbucker. 
  • chris78 said:
    Lovely work.
    Didnt realise mojo had cunife magnets?
    https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-category/pickups/cunife-wide-range/

Boom