Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Another headphone question - what are the most open of all open backed headphones? Really leaky ones - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Another headphone question - what are the most open of all open backed headphones? Really leaky ones

What's Hot
I want some open back cans that do not remotely cut me off from the world. I have others for that.

So what models are the most open backed so I can still hear the mice moving in the garden?

No Grados though. I do not find them comfy at all.

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Bone conduction ones. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looking to piss people off on the tube ;o)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    Bone conduction ones. 
    I have some of those for going for walks and things, but this is for home use. 
    The bone conductions ones are very clever but I'd like better audio quality for this. Mind you mine are a fair few years old so new ones might be better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The Shokz ones I tried sounded surprisingly decent. I wouldn't put them up against my Sonys or Shures, but they were good enough to listen to music and enjoy it. 
  • Koss Porta Pro.

Weird looking, but well reviewed and very cheap (for quality audio gear) on-ear phones.

Koss Porta Pro review  What Hi-Fi

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Sennheiser HD600.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    The Shokz ones I tried sounded surprisingly decent. I wouldn't put them up against my Sonys or Shures, but they were good enough to listen to music and enjoy it. 
    Mine are Shokz - but from when they were still called Aftershokz. I must investigate if there is a new model. I think mine are "OpenMove".
  • HD 414s
    Not sure what closest equivalent is now.
  • Both my AkG 712 Pro and Grado SR80e are very open.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited September 2023
    Grado SR80
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My Beyer DT880's do a pretty good job of not isolating me from my surroundings unless they're quite heavily cranked, comfy for long term usage as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don’t know about “the most open backed” but the Beyer DT990 are a great set of cans and def open
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Grado SR80

ta
    :) 
    Grado SR80

ta
    :) 
    Oops sorry fella..
  • Disregarding budget, Stax
  • Shure SRH1840 are great and very very open.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    edited September 2023
    Koss Porta Pro.

Weird looking, but well reviewed and very cheap (for quality audio gear) on-ear phones.

Nice. I've just got myself an old Sony Walkman 2 and reckon these will be an ideal companion.

@fretmeister it's such a shame you find Grados uncomfortable – I'm listening to my SR80s now and still can't get over how good the soundstage is. Sadly I can't think of an alternative but I hope you find a comfy pair of cans which fits the bill nevertheless  
  • My Beyer DT880's do a pretty good job of not isolating me from my surroundings unless they're quite heavily cranked, comfy for long term usage as well.
    Same. I've not owned other open backs but these are nice and not sweaty.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Sennheiser HD600.
    +1
  • beed84 said:
    @fretmeister it's such a shame you find Grados uncomfortable – I'm listening to my SR80s now and still can't get over how good the soundstage is. Sadly I can't think of an alternative but I hope you find a comfy pair of cans which fits the bill nevertheless  
    I got some alternative foam pads for mine that improved the comfort a lot. I also love the sound of mine.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • What about a set with active noise cancellation and a transparent mode, or whatever it's called?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• beed84 said:
    I got some alternative foam pads for mine that improved the comfort a lot. I also love the sound of mine.
    I've tried all that. 

Mind you, as I never use them I could go full janky and see if I can glue on a more traditional ring type pad so the contact is my head and not my ears.

Might have to find my hot glue gun!
  • Beyer Amiron?  Pricey but according to What Hifi, the “leak like a sieve”.  
  • beed84 said:
    Koss Porta Pro.

Nice. I've just got myself an old Sony Walkman 2 and reckon these will be an ideal companion.

I've never had a pair, but I did have a pair of KSC-75s which use the same drivers (at least according to t'internet), and they were great. Equally weird looking though.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

No idea how leaky they are, but given how lovely (and comfy) my SRH1540s are, the Shure SRH1840s must be worthy of consideration.
  • Sporky said:
    No idea how leaky they are, but given how lovely (and comfy) my SRH1540s are, the Shure SRH1840s must be worthy of consideration.
    As lovely as they look I don't want to spend that much. Also, this morning I discovered that I might need to buy my eldest a new lappie that has "great" performance for Matlab and Solidworks.

As she never carries a lappie out with her anyway I'm going to try and convince her that a desktop is the way to go, and save me some money. Not to mention the easier upgrade path.
  • Oh - and it's seems the Sennheiser  HD599SE are on special offer at the moment at under £100 so I'm going to take a punt on those and see if I get on with them.

Thanks everyone!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Stax earspeakers. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum