Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Edit: now NGD PSA 25% off entire Burns range at Andertons - ends tomorrow - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Edit: now NGD PSA 25% off entire Burns range at Andertons - ends tomorrow

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10231
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Posted it in this thread too but thought I would call it out here for more attention

25% off the entire Burns range at Andertons until tomorrow: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/burns-guitars

Haven't tried one but this seems like good value

I've ordered the short scale 12 string (and used some loyalty points yay)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Billy Bragg will be happy
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:
    Billy Bragg will be happy

Billy Bragg is never happy.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Good first impressions! Pickups sound good (the middle one in particular)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

Nice.

What's the nut width?
    roberty said:
    Nice.

What's the nut width?
    49mm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Nice looking Burns there - how long is that headstock!? It's a credit to them that it looks okay. I was tempted by the 30" Jazz Six and I'm a bit relieved that the price has gone up (to only £369, some others are now well north of £400).

Now I keep thinking about the 12 string too. Oh, Gas. HNGD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    edited September 2023
    GoFish said:
    how long is that headstock!?
    Yes
    GoFish said:
    Nice looking Burns there - how long is that headstock!? It's a credit to them that it looks okay. I was tempted by the 30" Jazz Six and I'm a bit relieved that the price has gone up (to only £369, some others are now well north of £400).

Now I keep thinking about the 12 string too. Oh, Gas. HNGD!

Oh yeah looks like the sale has ended. Maybe if you called they could sort you out

I was GASsing over the 6 string Jazz guitar as well (not the bass one). I have an Epiphone Crestwood Custom already that fills that sort of hole in my collection. Sort of lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Not sure what's going on here

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited September 2023
    Aren't Burns now a brand owned by the same consortium that produces guitars under the EastCoast name? Presumably made on the same production lines. I think most of the main box shifters (including Andertons) have a stake in the company.
  • Is this the pre-Andertons purchase of Burns stock? 

I was looking at the exact same 12 string!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Is this the pre-Andertons purchase of Burns stock? 

I was looking at the exact same 12 string!
    I think the brand was relaunched a few months ago. Andertons had a flash sale. Pretty sure it's new stock
  • Does it sound like a Red Special through a vox amp?
    No idea @Axe_meister ;

Body is made of four pieces that I can see, and the headstock is scarf joined. The tuners are pretty good, two of them feel a bit crunchy compared to the others but they are fine. The fretwork is excellent, I've got the action nice and low. Just a smidge of neck relief out of the box. The profile is a good shape

Overall I'm impressed, especially for what I paid! Really pleased to have this in my collection

Kind of wish I got the six string as well but there's always another day
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    That is definitely my favourite colour on a Burns... looks very cool. Happy NGD!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    roberty said:

Proof reader note up to the job then?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    HAL9000 said:
    roberty said:

Proof reader note up to the job then?
    Icy what you did there
  • I'm really quite proud of myself for resisting the bass VI effort.

The 12 string intrigues me, I quite fancy one but not enough to buy one. How's the balance? I had a schecter electric 12 and the neck dive was awful. 
    I'm really quite proud of myself for resisting the bass VI effort.

The 12 string intrigues me, I quite fancy one but not enough to buy one. How's the balance? I had a schecter electric 12 and the neck dive was awful. 
    It's neck heavy but balances on a strap

I'm a bit upset with myself for not getting a six string one as well. I'm quite smitten with this green monstrosity
  • Is yours an evolution of the Burns Double Six? I always fancied one of those.
    They had a b stock 6 string Jazz for £220 so I've ordered it lol. It's the blue one, not my colour preference but I am sure I will manage :-) cheap guitars are great, expensive guitars are great. They can happily coexist 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The 6 string is really nice. Great pickups. I think it'll be a useful sound to have. I really like the necks on these
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice score on the 12-string, I was eyeing that up myself too but I'll save it for a similar-ish build next year. Are you bringing the 12 to Firebird?? ;)
    Nice score on the 12-string, I was eyeing that up myself too but I'll save it for a similar-ish build next year. Are you bringing the 12 to Firebird?? ;)
    Ha I don't have a need to but if you want to see it I will

The trem on the 6 string is excellent. Looks like a steel block and saddles. Frets are a bit rough but they are level with few sharp edges. Should polish up nicely. Insane value!
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 203
    roberty said:

Alan Entwistle worked with Burns through much of the Barry Gibson era and was responsible for many of their pickups (Rezomatic; Tri-Sonic etc). I don't think he's directly involved since the buy out, but it would seem they are still using fitting his pickups.

Cliff
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 92
    My first guitar was a Burns/BaldwinDouble Six in greenburst… yep, a finger strength challenge for a beginner. I still have bits of it , neck and loaded scratch plate with original 1967? Tri-Sonics.
    I’d love to retro fit the electrics into the newer model but sadly the don’t do a lefty 12 string ( I played the original upside down) .
    happy days.
    That's cool @Mike58 what happened to the body?

I'm blown away by the quality of both of these for the money I paid. The 6 string needs a bit of work to play its best so I'm taking it in to my guy for some work. It's nice and resonant though
  • roberty said:
    Nice score on the 12-string, I was eyeing that up myself too but I'll save it for a similar-ish build next year. Are you bringing the 12 to Firebird?? ;)

The trem on the 6 string is excellent. Looks like a steel block and saddles. Frets are a bit rough but they are level with few sharp edges. Should polish up nicely. Insane value!
    It could be fun/interesting for some of the rythm sections - entirely up to you though, no pressure ☺️
    roberty said:

It could be fun/interesting for some of the rythm sections - entirely up to you though, no pressure ☺️
    I will try to remember on the morning. It is far better than it needs to be for the price IMO 
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 92
    roberty said:
    That's cool @Mike58 what happened to the body?

I'm blown away by the quality of both of these for the money I paid. The 6 string needs a bit of work to play its best so I'm taking it in to my guy for some work. It's nice and resonant though
    I’m a lefty and played it upside down, the upper ( my lower) horn on the body got in the way...so I sawed it off and rounded it down to a Tele shape.... I also stripped the greenburst off ( lacquer was massively cracking) and stained the natural wood a kinda walnut colour ( this was late 70’s ).
    so when I disassembled the guitar a couple of years ago I reckoned the body had no value ... binned.
    The Original guitar cost my parents £28 from Cuthbertsons in Glasgow, it was sold as a second due to lacquer cracking in 1972/3... I think they bought a job lot of them with the lacquer flaws.
    i then upgraded to a 1960 Fender Musicmaster ( £65) that eventually had the first ( that I know of ) DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup in Scotland imported and fitted by Magnum Sound,  Wishaw , Lanarkshire.
    Those were the days !!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter