Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Two Rock TS1 misbehaving… - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Two Rock TS1 misbehaving…

ChéChé Frets: 302
So I hooked all my amps up to my KHE switcher to have my cab in an iso booth while I swap heads. Strangely, whenever I stand near my Two Rock head when playing through it, it begins to screech and howl the closer I get to it. This doesn’t happen with any other of the 6 heads I have hooked up. I’ve tried connected directly to it and it still happens.

it only occurs when the guitars pickups are facing the amp head and the gain is up a little, so I’m thinking it’s some sort of feedback with transformers inside the head or the valves? Seems very odd as I’ve never experienced anything like it before especially when adjusting tone on amps with the guitar strapped on. 

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Have you got a valve gone microphonic? Tap them gently with a chopstick one by one and see if you hear anything through the speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChéChé Frets: 302
    randella said:
    Have you got a valve gone microphonic? Tap them gently with a chopstick one by one and see if you hear anything through the speaker.
    Thanks Randella, it did sound quite microphonic like, will check when I'm next in the studio. 

Another interesting discovery with having heads separated from a cab was when a client bought in their Marshall. We were able to crank it up and I noticed you could hear the guitar signal coming from the amp head itself. Does anyone know what this phenomenon is? I found an answer on the forum that also suggested staying away from the amp head as loud high frequency feedback can occur, seems it may be a normal occurrence. Interesting none the less! 
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    edited September 2023
    The only thing I could think re. the Marshall would be something in the amp that's excited by the guitar signal setting up a vibration - output transformer windings, maybe?

I remember old tube tellies making a horrible whine from the line flyback transformer.
  • The transformer can indeed act like a really shit speaker as the coils vibrate. In the same way a guitar pickup can act like a microphone and with enough gain you can shout into it and hear it through the amp. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Your pick ups are picking up signal from the amp and feeding back, could be a igh frequency signal that you can not hear, could also be aggravated by microphonic valve or parts in the amp and also your pickups.

Output transformers make audible sound normally due to Magnetostriction, the laminations are moving/changing shape. If your output transformer is potted properly the winding should not really be moving.