Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Danish Oil vs Tru Oil for a neck finish - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Danish Oil vs Tru Oil for a neck finish

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding

I usually finish necks in a few coats of Tru Oil.  Perhaps 2 coats and then I cut back with wire wool to take the shine off. I’m left with a nice raw feeling finish.

I have a neck incoming, but only have Rustins Danish oil.  Since I’m not trying to build up any finish, will it work just the same as Tru oil?

Example of a previously finished neck below.  This was stained with Wilco Georgian oak woodstain, prior to the Tru Oil.

https://i.imgur.com/N4G26r3.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    It is thinner and doesn't build up like tru-oil. Still works well for an oil and wax finish  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    I used rustins on a recent Tele kit build. Neck feels lovely after 5 coats of Danish oil. Followed up with a bit of Howard Feed N Wax to give it that music man feel.
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• WezV said:
    It is thinner and doesn't build up like tru-oil. Still works well for an oil and wax finish  
    Great, thanks.  Assume you could always add tru oil over the top if required at a later date? (over the Danish oil, not wax)

I'm thinking since I only really seal with Tru oil, rather than build in anyway I may as well just use what I have already got.

WYNIR0 said:
    I used rustins on a recent Tele kit build. Neck feels lovely after 5 coats of Danish oil. Followed up with a bit of Howard Feed N Wax to give it that music man feel.
    Sounds like the way to go then.  I think I have some wax, so may add that as well.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Heres quite a good video about various oil finishes and what the differences are.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I won’t buy Danish oil 
      Andertons are farming it from Danish Pete  like those people who get Bears Bile 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Gunstock oil is great for finishes 

https://i.imgur.com/HRY81OG.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rabs said:
    Heres quite a good video about various oil finishes and what the differences are.

Thanks, that was really helpful.  Seems danish oil is very much in the direction of Tru Oil, but less glossy and not quite as hard.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    edited September 2023
    sweepy said:

https://i.imgur.com/HRY81OG.jpeg
    Nice.  Looks really good with the flame 

I did this tele in Tru Oil about 12 years ago, still looks and feels good.

• inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    edited September 2023
    sweepy said:
    Certainly does, it feels lovely on the neck.

Hi Ian, It was me who bought the Eggle from you.
    What brand gun stock oil did you use and does it ever need reapplying?
    Its faded a little where I've been resting my pinkie (although it doesn't look worn)