Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Wiring Help.. Earth buzz.. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Wiring Help.. Earth buzz..

What's Hot
Hi all,

Finally got around to rewiring my old '86 Hamer Chaparral this weekend after a recent refin.

Was a challenge given that I couldn't find an actual wiring diagram for this version but I thought I had enough to work with. Everything works but I get a pretty terrible earth buzz in any setting - even all pickups in the 'off' position. This reduces when I touch the strings/trem etc. Problem is that I've metered for continuity and everywhere I think I should see it, I do.

I've included some photos but just in case anything is unclear the setup is volume, tone (mid-range control actually), 3 off 3 way mini-toggles with neck and bridge offering phase reverse and neck offering coil split. I purchased replacement toggles. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure about were the earth wires from the pickups which I popped to ground.

Any help or advice really appreciated.

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Have you checked for continuity between your earth and the bridge? You need a wire from the earth to the base of bridge or posts depending on the configuration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have you checked for continuity between your earth and the bridge? You need a wire from the earth to the base of bridge or posts depending on the configuration.
    Thanks for coming back.

Yes - bridge (Floyd) is earthed back from trem claw and shows continuity.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    If the buzz reduces when you touch the strings then the wire to the bridge must be in place, and the noise is from a lack of shielding.

When you touch the strings you are earthed through the guitar (and thus amp), and your body then acts as a shield. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    If the buzz reduces when you touch the strings then the wire to the bridge must be in place, and the noise is from a lack of shielding.

When you touch the strings you are earthed through the guitar (and thus amp), and your body then acts as a shield. 
    Thanks Sporky. Appreciate it.

What I can't understand is that everything is as it was before (other than the fact I've rewired and replaced the old toggles) and it never buzzed before..

Si
    That is odd.

I don't think this fits the behaviour, but have you checked you've got the jack wired up the right way around? 
  • Sporky said:
    That is odd.

I don't think this fits the behaviour, but have you checked you've got the jack wired up the right way around? 
    Thanks..

I have; tip is live and shield to ground.. 
  • I would grab a length of wire and try grounding the backs of pots to the foil shield to see if that improves things. If it is an improvement solder that connection in place.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Check all the ground connections, especially to the cable shields - don’t rely on contact between the pot casings and the shielding plate. If that’s an unshielded cable to the jack, replace it with shielded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks all.

@ICBM - is it actually better to insulate the pots from the shield plate and then wire to earth? Does such a thing as a ground loop cause issues? I'll replace the jack cable as it is un-shielded..

Si
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

@ICBM - is it actually better to insulate the pots from the shield plate and then wire to earth? Does such a thing as a ground loop cause issues?
    No - there is no such thing as a ground loop within a guitar. Ground everything, don't worry about duplicating a connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:

@ICBM - is it actually better to insulate the pots from the shield plate and then wire to earth? Does such a thing as a ground loop cause issues?
    No - there is no such thing as a ground loop within a guitar. Ground everything, don't worry about duplicating a connection.
    Brill - appreciate it..
    And I'll repeat my personal hobby horse - don't solder anything to the back of a pot. It's harder than having a central screw with a loop of solid core wire for the grounds, and there's a real risk of damaging the pot innards. 
  • Sporky said:
    And I'll repeat my personal hobby horse - don't solder anything to the back of a pot. It's harder than having a central screw with a loop of solid core wire for the grounds, and there's a real risk of damaging the pot innards. 
    Thanks - I'll give it a go!

Si