Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Inmusic killed Moog - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Inmusic killed Moog

What's Hot
After promising its buyout as the start of a collaboration (just 3 months ago) they've fired almost the whole Asheville workforce and are moving almost all production to China. 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/moog-just-fired-everyone-at-their-asheville-factory.2498910/

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/inmusic-has-fired-a-large-portion-of-the-moog-staff-a-sad-day-for-synth-industry.html ;

A quote, from THE MIDDLE OF JUNE: 
"Nothing is changing," he said. "We'll still build everything here in Asheville, North Carolina, to the same standards. For all of us working here, this just helps to safeguard the future of what we do. The past few years have been challenging, with parts shortages and supply chain issues. Something had to change, but this is ultimately a great thing for us."

Fucking bastards. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Yep.  Shocking, but not surprising.  It happens every day I'm afraid but in areas of business that won't be of interest to most (except those impacted).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A good American friend of mine used to work for Moog. Alas Behringer copying their products has slowly led to their death as they were just not big enough to counter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah it's really sad. The only Moog people I've ever had contact with are the guys at Asheville Music Tools, but I've been to Asheville twice and the Moog factory has been a huge part of that city's history for the last 50-odd years. It'll hurt the music community there
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    I do like Moog and the brands contribution to music immense.  It’s really sad as I would never buy Beringer copies and pay up for the real thing with proper values.  I can understand moving production (tho not a fan) but the BS is what I find the worst part of it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeW said:
    I do like Moog and the brands contribution to music immense.  It’s really sad as I would never buy Beringer copies and pay up for the real thing with proper values.  I can understand moving production (tho not a fan) but the BS is what I find the worst part of it 
    100% agreed. If they’re said “we’re buying the brand and will keep halo production the old way in Asheville, but move bulk production to China so we can bring you MOOG quality at more competitive prices” that would be a fairly different story
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    O'Donell seems to be determined to buy up every music manufacturer going. Greedy bastard.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Aaaand thats why I don't by Behringer synths.
  • And in less than 20 years, manufacturing will be moved from China to either India or Indonesia.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited September 2023
    Not to play devil's advocate but I would be curious to know how the soft synths have impacted the sale of hardware

Apparently Boss can't afford to plow as much into product development they'd like to these days because cheap clones appear too quickly
  • If true, that is really sad - lots of iconic companies just can't compete in the modern world.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    And in less than 20 years, manufacturing will be moved from China to either India or Indonesia.
    More likely somewhere in Africa.

The idea of India becoming a cheap manufacturing base became nonsense around 1992.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    And in less than 20 years, manufacturing will be moved from China to either India or Indonesia.

The idea of India becoming a cheap manufacturing base became nonsense around 1992.

And yet Apple have moved a hell of a lot of their manufacturing from China to India, and are in the process of moving the rest to India, much to the upset of the Chinese and especially the Chinese workers.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    TTony said:

And yet Apple have moved a hell of a lot of their manufacturing from China to India, and are in the process of moving the rest to India, much to the upset of the Chinese and especially the Chinese workers.
    Yes, but not because of cost.

US companies are moving out of China largely because of the politics and risk to supply chains.  India is deemed lower risk.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    TTony said:

Yes, but not because of cost.

US companies are moving out of China largely because of the politics and risk to supply chains.  India is deemed lower risk.

Costs is most definitely one of the reasons it was done, even Chinese manufactures are out sourcing manufacturing to India and Indonesia, because labour costs have become too expensive now in China.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Not too play devil's advocate but I would be curious to know how the soft synths have impacted the sale of hardware

Apparently Boss can't afford to plow as much into product development they'd like to these days because cheap clones appear too quickly

I don't think soft synths are the problem.

People use them for different things. Budget hardware clones on the other hand

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:
    Not too play devil's advocate but I would be curious to know how the soft synths have impacted the sale of hardware

I don't think soft synths are the problem.

People use them for different things
    Maybe you're right

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    joeW said:
    100% agreed. If they’re said “we’re buying the brand and will keep halo production the old way in Asheville, but move bulk production to China so we can bring you MOOG quality at more competitive prices” that would be a fairly different story
     To my mind it is their lower end products (mid range by most manufacturers' pricing) where Behringer may have eaten into their sales. I don't think many genuine potential buyers for say Grandmother upwards would buy a Behringer instead, so agree with the idea it would make sense to move their lower end product manufacturing out to lower costs.