Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If Smoke on the Water was played in a delta blues style on a resonator - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If Smoke on the Water was played in a delta blues style on a resonator

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
in Guitar tFB Trader
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    To be fair he can make a shovel sound great  :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited September 2023
    I actually do Smoke on the Water as part of the acoustic set, in a swing jazz sort of style. Introducing it as aSwiss folk song about a great tragedy in a small Swiss town!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I actually do Smoke on the Water as part of the acoustic set, in a swing jazz sort of style. Introducing it as aSwiss folk song about a great tragedy in a small Swiss town!
    I do like it when you kind of re-invent a song in a different style- doesn’t always turn out well 

Fly me to the moon was a 3/4 waltz until Quincy Jones re-jigged it for Frank Sinatra 

I actually think that both Hotel California and Layla are better as the unplugged version 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I like that a lot but then I’ve never been a massive fan of the original. I know it’s a very very small club but I think Machine Head would have been a much better album if they hadn’t burned down The Gambling House. 
    tFB Trader
    inewham said:
    To be fair he can make a shovel sound great  :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
    I see Chicken' Bone John at many guitar shows that I exhibit at - He's big into this 'Sea Sick Steve' style and makes it look so easy - Some say the Ukulele is the easiest instrument to play - I challenge that and say a cigar guitar box is - Hard to play well but you can get something out of it almost instantly 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    ....I was going to say "I wouldn't listen to it".

But actually I quite enjoyed that.  I think the fact that he has a stab at the Paice/Glover rhythm section groove makes a big difference, although it still gets a bit twee at times.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    ....I was going to say "I wouldn't listen to it".

But actually I quite enjoyed that.  I think the fact that he has a stab at the Paice/Glover rhythm section groove makes a big difference, although it still gets a bit twee at times.
    check out some of his other clips - I couldn't listen to a whole gig/album, but in isolation it is interesting - Try Fleetwood Mac's Chain
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I've been a Justin Joihnson follower for ages. He does good stuff. Always worth a look.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Tannin said:
    I've been a Justin Joihnson follower for ages. He does good stuff. Always worth a look.
    Oh, is his name Justin Johnson?  To me, Justin Johnson is the guy who curates kids'/family films at the London Film Festival.

Justin Johnson BFI on Twitter You spend all day Monday waiting to meet  one comedy legend then on Tuesday another one comes along BFIComedyGenius  httpstco19orPqE2rE  Twitter
  • I wish he’d clip his strings. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    liked the music but I really hate that slapping /drumming type rythmn thing ......there's some acoustic players who do it all the time and it gets on my willy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    inewham said:
    To be fair he can make a shovel sound great  :)
    To be fair so can Peter Kay...

https://youtu.be/WID4cGlP1mw?feature=shared
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    inewham said:
    I'm really digging it!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Loved it. Great slide playing. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)