Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How can ebay scammers get my email address? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How can ebay scammers get my email address?

What's Hot
I just got a fake email containing an "offer" for an expensive item I am listing in ebay

The email was sent to the email account used for this ebay account 
I don't think that I have ever published this email address, can't find it searching in google

I suppose the obvious possibilities are:
  • someone got my email from a previous transaction, unlikely since I have sold and bought only 2 or 3 items in recent years
  • someone got the email address from ebay
  • someone hacked my use of a wifi hotspot. Unlikely since my seller account is not used on my phone
  • someone got my email from somewhere else and worked out it was me selling the guitar
  • my PC has been hacked
Is anyone else getting this kind of phishing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Someone else posted about this scam a week or two ago. As you say, having your ebay-registered email address connected by a scammer to an Ebay account is a bit of a worry.

Maybe some low-wage bod at Ebay managed to steal a partial username/email database to flog on the dark net?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Never got that before, but it won't be long before that kind of sophisticated phishing/hacking becomes rife (if it is indeed that). Could just be option 4 in your list of possibilities above though. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    As ever, try here to see if your details have been involved in a data breach  https://haveibeenpwned.com
    Or, try a web search for "ebay email address data breach"... there have been many over the years.
  • I've created a new email address only for use with that ebay account, let's see what happens
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtop said:
    Someone else posted about this scam a week or two ago. As you say, having your ebay-registered email address connected by a scammer to an Ebay account is a bit of a worry.

Maybe some low-wage bod at Ebay managed to steal a partial username/email database to flog on the dark net?
    I've had a few phishing emails like this before for ebay, but been too busy to follow up
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    I've created a new email address only for use with that ebay account, let's see what happens
    To help prevent this sort of thing happening, I use my DuckDuckGo alias email with my eBay account. That way, any wrongdoers lurking about don't have access to my actual email, and DDG removes any trackers if they do manage to find a way to send dodgy stuff in my direction. Same with Amazon and Gumtree.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    I have the opposite problem. I have some brewing equipment up on eBay and I've had an enquiry from an old chap about 20 miles away asking if I would be prepared to deliver it as he doesn't drive much anymore. I would be prepared to do that but not for the price I'm asking (which was collection only). So I need to figure out how to get my email to him so we can chat about it away from eBay.