Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). SOLD: Asher HT-Deluxe, as new £2450 - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

SOLD: Asher HT-Deluxe, as new £2450

What's Hot
StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
edited September 2023 in Guitars £
Bit of a sickener, this one, as my one-in-one-out policy crashes headlong into my never-sell-a-truly-great guitar one, but needs must.

This is one of the best guitars I've ever had in my hands - I have three Ashers, and I've never played better instruments. Of the three, though, this one gets the least use because I prefer the 60s neck profile on my other ones.

I remember Doug at Coda telling me this was the best Asher he'd had in the shop, and one of the very best guitars they'd ever had in. It's INCREDIBLY resonant - way, way louder than any other solid-bodied guitar I have. According to my scales it also weighs a shade under six pounds, since it's been made with roasted Swamp Ash and maple.

The neck profile is Bill Asher's renowned Soft V - which is the carve that gave his guitars their early reputation. It feels absolutely incredible in the hand, really smooth and inviting. 

The flame on the neck has to be seen to be believed. My pictures don't come close to capturing the movement or doing it justice at all.

Pickups are Asher's own Sweet T in the bridge, which, along with the Klein Broadcaster, is my favourite Tele bridge pickup, and the neck pickup is his Blues Bucker, which isn't voiced like a typical neck PAF at all - it's actually voiced to sound more like an old archtop pickup. The six-position Tone Styler makes the guitar extremely versatile.

The resulting middle position is pure Keef - it NAILS the intro to Start Me Up, which is just about my favourite Keef tone. Bill told me he'd built the guitar in the hope of getting it into Keith Richards' hands, and it shows!

Build quality is second to none. I'm no fan of relics, but the ageing and checking on this one is incredibly convincing.

Apparently Bill has stopped taking custom orders now and is only building the guitars he wants to make (like his Wolf guitars he's currently making for John Mayer etc for a cool $20,000 each) and going out on the road as Neil Young's guitar tech. 

This was a £4000+ guitar new. Comes with a choice of a G+G hard case or a Mono M80 gig bag. I'm only advertising this here for just now, as I'd really like to keep a guitar this special in the "community" if possible - probably in the hope I'll buy it back one day!

£2450 + insured postage, or collect from near Glasgow/Edinburgh.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    edited September 2023

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I sold my Asher too because the neck was too skinny for me.
    Great guitars though and wonderful build quality 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78 said:
    I sold my Asher too because the neck was too skinny for me.
    Great guitars though and wonderful build quality 
    If anything this one is just a shade chunky for me! It's not that big, but as I get older I prefer slimmer necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • F**king... wow! Lovely guitar and best of luck with the sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Oooff. Always liked the look of these
  • CastroCastro Frets: 446
    Wowser! I've had one of Bill's T-styles and they are pretty special.
  • Fishboy7 said:
    Oooff. Always liked the look of these
    This one's as good an example as you'll see
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    Ooooff indeed. What a beaut. GLWTS.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    edited September 2023
    I was driving this morning when this came on the radio, and I realised it's this guitar in the right channel (the one doing the blatant Andy Partridge rip-off before I kick in a Thorpy Camoflange and it becomes a blatant Andy Summers rip-off).

You can hear the bridge pickup up doing it's thick, chunky bite thing, with no nasty top end stuff. It's a very balanced guitar tonally - there's no EQ used on this guitar track either on the way in or in the mix.

https://spotify.link/aUh9m7PVqDb
  • Sold!