Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Earthquaker Plumes, is it a good Tube Screamer? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Earthquaker Plumes, is it a good Tube Screamer?

What's Hot
Getting the awkward stock answer out of the way, NO, I will not "just buy a tube screamer".

Now we've sorted that, will the Earthquaker Plumes give me a good Tube Screamer sound in the classic TS sense? And also will it boost my high gain amps well, like a classic Tube Screamer would?

I like the idea of versatile pedals that do more than one thing, hence why I'm after something more than just a stock Tube Screamer. And I don't really want to spend on something like the Origin Halcyon.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I've heard very positive reviews. I've never tried one sadly. The new Keeley Noble Screamer could be a good idea but it's more money...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Not a Plumes but the Pillars model on the Helix is pretty good. I've got it in one of my main patches and use it as a solo boost. Jason Sadites compares it with a real Plumes here:

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited September 2023
    Yes. It’s very versatile. I liked it very much but happier with an Analogman Maxon.

edit - btw it’s also a bit tone sucky. The bottom end disappears. Some might like that. I didn’t. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    This is a very versatile TS:
    MI Audio Blue Boy.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    This is a very versatile TS:
    MI Audio Blue Boy.

That's a great shout actually
    I had one of these and a plumes and various others . Didn't really bond with the plumes, really liked the blues boy

Trex moller, and Wampler paisley worth a look. Particularly the wampler

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Look at The Studio Rats' demo. It was his favourite OD pedal for a while and he doesn't like TS-type pedals.
  • I believe @octatonic may have/have had one? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have a whole bunch of TS-alikes... All are excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them. 
    • Animals Surfing Bear - dead simple, cheapish, and has the best graphics on it
    • Way Huge Green Rhino V (the little one) - the extra tone controls are very nice to tune it to your rig
    • Origin Halycon Green - nice and simple but the Adapt and dry mix really add to its usability 
    • EQD Palisades - way complicated but sounds great. I'd assume from this that the Plumes is great
    If I had to pick one it'd be the Origin, but obv it's not the cheapest! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    I was looking at the Plumes but I ended up with an EHX East River Drive. Super cheap and co-designed by Mike “Analogman” Piera which was essentially a secret until comparatively recently. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've got a Plumes and it's pretty versatile. I tend to use it low gain, no clipping, with a bit of a boost. It's very good at that in an always on style.

I don't really know what a classic TS sound is, so can't really advise on that...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I think there’s a TS9 for sale on here atm. Fab pedals and I think that’s an AM modded version so it’ll certainly be one of the most tubescreamery tubescreamer you can probably find.  I used a TS9 throughout the 90s - loved it. It’s excellent - particularly with single coils. But really it depends what you’re using it for.