Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who actually uses their volume control? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who actually uses their volume control?

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8108
… and how? I thought this would be a useful complement to the “Who actually uses their tone control” thread.

For the record, I normally play with my volume on 6. That gives me space to turn up for solos, and turn up/down if I’m too quiet/loud. 

My guitars have a Treble pass capacitor so that the sound gets slightly brighter when turning down, maintaining the ability to cut through. Most of my amp settings aren’t overly compressed, so the volume actually does go up rather than fattening.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I thought this was a parody thread!

Who actually uses their pickup switch?
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Who actually uses their guitars?  Not me.  Certainly not to any useful purpose.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steersteer Frets: 1043
    When using a fuzz it's essential. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Strat no
    Les Paul yes
    Gretsch no
    Ric no I rarely touch the pickup selector
    Es125 no I I don't use the nonexistant pickup selector
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steer said:
    When using a fuzz it's essential. 
    This. I have my volume on full most of the time and use pedals to get gain but for fuzz I use the volume knob a lot
  • I do, but only for balancing the volume with the rest of the band, rather than altering the tone. I've got a treble bleed* in my tele as I just want it to change the volume. I tend to start with the volume on about 6 or 7 and adjust. 

*I know, I know, it shouldn't be called that... 
  • Yep, definitely good to have some room for maneuver, light and shade / dynamic range. 

Also picking dynamics, muting, emphasis on different parts of chords - these can all impact on the perceived volume.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Yep for clean sounds
  • Mines mainly on 11
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Yup, every time I want the thing quieter. I think that's probably one of its main functions
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Only before or after the gig before turning the amps on or off.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    Yes, all the time. Volume is rarely on 10, similarly tone controls but only on the bridge pickup. Neck pickup tone controls normally wide open and only occasionally dipped a touch. 
  • I use it constantly, not only for different amounts of gain but as a noise gate. If I'm not playing the volume is all the way off, even if it's only for a few seconds. You don't notice the effect much at home or at pub gigs but on big stages with a lot of wedges and big PA the resonance of a guitar turned up but not being played can build up quickly. 

So the rule is if you aren't playing, roll the volume off. 

I am on my 3rd or 4th volume control in 15 years though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I use mine to fine tune crunch tones. It's usually on 10 for heavy tunes but 6 or 7 when it's classic rock. I also use it to mute when not playing
  • Also all the time, adjusting volume, swells and stuff.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Mostly play unplugged to avoid the faff of using it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    100% all the time - 10 is the place to go to when you need a touch more 'turbo boost' - 6-8 is my base camp on most guitars - It will vary a touch from 6-8 depending on each guitar and the taper of the pot and how much gain I need
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Strat/Tele, not much. Westbury with 2HBs, a lot. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited September 2023
    Yep - I find it especially useful for a solo boost when using a clean channel. I wish it would respond as markedly for my gain channel - but as you say - it fattens up rather than increases the volume. 

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • Yes use mine on all my guitars,, mainly for something to do!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I do - I usually set it on 10, but quite often back it off a bit to give a cleaner sounds - although I don't use it to fully clean up a distortion sound, since I normally use enough gain that doing that kills the volume as well. (If I want actual clean I turn off the distortion!) A volume control with a treble-pass cap is useful for that since it gives a slightly brighter tone as well as less distortion, so it doesn't drop out of the mix as badly. And as Danny says, to mute the guitar between songs - although I don't use it just for brief pauses, I mute the strings with my hand, so I haven't worn out any volume pots yet :).

But there was one band I played in that for no known reason - I've never done it in before or since - I did leave my distortion pedal on all the time and control the whole thing from the guitar volume... it just worked, for that band.

I find the tone control much more useful for controlling fuzz than the volume though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Live - on a Tele or a Ric I’m adjusting volume and tone all the time. On a Strat or offsets not so much as they have a sharper roll off on the volume. 
  • Yep. All the time. I’m too lazy to hit pedals with my feet, so I turn down to clean up (ish) and whack it up full for maximum gain. My amp isn’t so compressed so the volume goes up and down, too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Personally, I never really use the volume or tone controls.  I just have them all on full and dial in the sound I want using the amp and effects. I’d also be quite happy if the pickup selector was superglued in the bridge position. Not saying I’m right, it’s just how I roll 
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
    I use it rarely. I play through a Helix exclusively and I use a preset per song, with the snapshots for sections of it. So if I want to go from a verse to a lead bit with an extra bit of volume, I just program that in to the preset so it boosts when needed when I press the button. I have a volume pedal too which is what I use between songs and stopping feedback. 

One gig I played where my pedal stopped working so I had to use the volume knob, and I hated it! 
  • Ironically (as I am so inept) I am using both the volume and tone much more than I used to.

Particularly with the pickups on my Jazzmaster (Pure Vintage 65s) and Mustang (Mojo Vintage). The bridge on the JM goes from bright brilliance, to punchy smooth cut, to P90ish rasp via both the volume and tone.

And the Mustang bridge gives a hefty thwack when the tone is rolled off to around 7 - 8.

And similar on Strat.

But am often maxed out on middle and neck.
  • I played predominantly gibsons and gibson style guitars. I use the volume and tone more than anything else. More often than not I'll set a lead sound I like then back everything off with the guitar. My Daniels guitars junior the controls are incredibly interactive and for a single pickup guitar make it very flexible 
  • When I was gigging I used to have everything on maximum, then back off the volume for a semi-clean sound when I needed it (about 26 seconds per gig), and kill the volume completely before songs. Nowadays I use different patches for different sounds, and I tend to keep everything on full 99% of the time.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar