Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). P bass pickups...? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

P bass pickups...?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
edited September 2023 in Bass
I'm back here again... D 

Building a new P, partly based on lessons learned from my current one and partly just because I really want a white one. 

I have a regular Lollar split P pickup in my current bass, and not necessarily looking for anything different, but interested to see if anyone has any first-hand experience of Lollar vs Fralin, SD Antiquity, Aguilar, etc? If anything I wouldn't mind a smidge more output and upper mids, but I don't want something completely different like a quarterpounder or P90

This will be using TI flats almost exclusively, I think. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• By far my favourite is the Aguilar AG4P. It's a 1960s recreation.

It sounds great with a nice mid range bump as all good P pickups should have and it tolerates being exceptionally close to the strings for a strong output. Unlike many others the pole pieces are slightly lower than the plastic cover so there's no annoying string on pole clicking that others have.

I've got them in 2 basses and I've had them in previous basses too. Whenever I get a precision type that I want to keep passive, that pickup goes in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    I knew you’d say that. It’s definitely a good contender and probably my first choice if I don’t go Lollar. 

Novak also has a bunch of nice looking stuff. I'm also still very tempted to chuck a thunderbird pickup on something at some point but that can wait for now..

https://www.curtisnovak.com/product-category/bass/p-bass/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Well I do also really like the EMG PX.

It has more headroom than the standard version, but sounds like a great P should. Just with quite a bit more output.
    That one is always my choice for a PJ set up... but always with the EMG active balance control to solve insertion loss.
  • I don't want something completely different like a quarterpounder 
    Good because that's a beefburger. You would need to pair it with a Greasebucket tone control.

I have experience of some of the pickups on your wish list. I suggest that you add Nordstrand and DiMarzio to it.

The differences between the brands may prove extremely subtle - depending on your amplification.

Extra output is DiMarzio's calling card. The DP146 Will Power Middle delivers a strong Rock sound. This has been superseded by the Relentless model. 

I agree with fretmeister about the merits of active replacement pickups. I also agree about the "rightness" of Fender 62-64 era pickup specifications. c. 11k, A5, adjust height to taste, get on with it.

Be seeing you.
  • Is the Tonerider any good?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Is the Tonerider any good?
    I don't know but instinct says they'll be very good for the money, if not on the same level as the handwired guys
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm really happy with my @OilCityPickups Hardman. I'm a bit of a brute though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I have a BK 62 P-Bass in my 1965 Precision.  Having had older Precisions in the past, the 65 was lacking in the sound, but the BK is perfect and has the tone of the older basses I had.  It has all the thunder and grunt you need, with the clarity and fullness that is the P-Bass sound.
  • I'm no expert by any means, but I had a Vintera that someone had put an Aguilar P in and it sounded phenomenal.