Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Reverb Prices. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Reverb Prices.

What's Hot
Man the Reverb prices are depressing. £6000 for a 2017 plain top R8. The world has gone mad. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    I'm after a Vintera 50s modified Tele which can be bought new for around £800.   Bloke has one for sale for £700 + postage.  After much haggling he knocks £50 off.  No wonder it's been for sale for six months.  And I didn't buy it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited September 2023
    Man the Reverb prices are depressing. £6000 for a 2017 plain top R8. The world has gone mad. 
    Yeah but no-one sane will pay a dumb price like that.  When sellers find they're sitting on stuff at these prices for many months, those prices will come down.  Buyers need to vote with their feet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    On the other side of the coin I had a load of stuff for sale on here at TFB very friendly prices, no takers, not even a sniff. All then sold for far more on either Reverb or Flea Bay within days of advertising. Probably more to do with the number of potential buyers.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    And how long has it been sat there and how much longer will it sit there? Look at sold prices, not the asking prices from Bognor Regis or similar.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I price everything well on reverb and nothing hangs about. At the same time a friend asked me about the value of his DG335 (gold second run) then listed it 3 times what I told him. People think they know better 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    Offset said:
    Yeah but no-one sane will pay a dumb price like that.  When sellers find they're sitting on stuff at these prices for many months, those prices will come down.  Buyers need to vote with their feet.
    Unless you are from Bognor Regis, that mad man being sitting on stuff for 3 years now!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • there's always a premium on reverb for the charges they levy. I alway overprice stuff on there at least 30% (accounts for fees and a bit of haggling). Lately my sales of gear is about 10 on reverb to every 1 I sell at a very reasonable price here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I try list fair prices, I don't bump that often...but some buyers logic escapes me as well as some sellers.

Had a guy reach out offered less money for an item with the reason "I've sold one at this price before so how about youbaell me your item at my previous price"

Yes he had, 18 months ago with the psu missing..

Offered to meet on the middle with the price ..he declines?

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Part of the problem is that Reverb's got this historic pricing database within it that, if you read the fine print, is "based on US sales for SIMILAR items on Reverb".  So when people list their items in the UK, they might refer to those historic prices and think "well this thing sold for x just last week, I'm gonna list mine at the same price" - not realising that the historic price index they just saw was from someone in the US who paid for the next model up.  And it's also highly possible they're willing to pay more for things in the US than they do here.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Part of the problem is that Reverb's got this historic pricing database within it that, if you read the fine print, is "based on US sales for SIMILAR items on Reverb".  So when people list their items in the UK, they might refer to those historic prices and think "well this thing sold for x just last week, I'm gonna list mine at the same price" - not realising that the historic price index they just saw was from someone in the US who paid for the next model up.  And it's also highly possible they're willing to pay more for things in the US than they do here.    
    The price guide takes no account of condition or completeness either... if I've got a beater in an aftermarket gig bag that I want to sell and the last one that went was mint with all the case candy and the OHSC...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Reverb fees are always hard to swallow when you get an eBay fees promo, I had a few bad experiences on Reverb where the buyer took 4 days to pay, never replied back to me even after being very active when haggling the price to later tell me to POST NOW because he wont be available if he didn't get it next day, fair to say that I told him to jog off and cancelled the order but was a pain in the butt, luckily reverb could check his replies and sided with me when he tried to report me.

Also the low balling has become even worst than eBay and general rude replies when you say no, so now I only put the minimum price I can take on Reverb considering fees with no offers allowed, if they want to haggle more I send them to eBay and we can have a talk there with less fees.

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    Whitecat said:
    Part of the problem is that Reverb's got this historic pricing database within it that, if you read the fine print, is "based on US sales for SIMILAR items on Reverb".  So when people list their items in the UK, they might refer to those historic prices and think "well this thing sold for x just last week, I'm gonna list mine at the same price" - not realising that the historic price index they just saw was from someone in the US who paid for the next model up.  And it's also highly possible they're willing to pay more for things in the US than they do here.    
    The price guide takes no account of condition or completeness either... if I've got a beater in an aftermarket gig bag that I want to sell and the last one that went was mint with all the case candy and the OHSC...
    You're right about completeness but the price guide does have a column for "Condition"...BUT that's very subjective though isn't it.  One man's "Mint" is another man's "Piss Off That Ain't Mint" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nice Relic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think we are seeing the remnants of covid price madness that hasn't adjusted to the plunging cesspit of incompetence and greed known as the UK economy. Things on here are generally well priced. I sold my Lowden in a week on a Facebook group (couldn't sell it on here despite trying) but man it wasn't a pleasant experience as they all jumped on me for being a scammer as it was too cheap! I still think this place gives like minded people the reassurance of buying from fellow enthusiasts and you meet a lot of really good folk. It may nor serve for the quickest sale but its still a sound place to buy generally imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There’s a 2014 Johnny Marr Jaguar on there now (also on ebay), the guy wants £3500 for it. At least £1000 over what you’d pay if you walked into a shop and bought a new one now, They were probably £1600 when it was new.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Dumodal said:
    Nice Relic.
    Thanks. I dragged it behind my pickup truck for a few blocks, you know.. to make it look realistic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I haven't read the thread - but please remember that shops use Reverb as a front window. So, if you see something make sure to go straight to their website or email them direct outside of Reverb to get a better price.

For bedroom sellers make sure to haggle like there's no tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 297
    edited September 2023
    It's rare to find a deal on reverb now, and if it is fair, it gets sold quickly. In addition, reverb will continue to raise its fees until there is no point of using the platform anymore. I always encourage people to message me and see if we can make a deal between the 2 of us, because if I don't need to pay the reverb fees, I'm happy to cancel that cost. 
    There was a 1987 gibson explorer for £7000, and I waited and waited, and finally snagged one for £1200 with local pickup in London. Sometimes people buy a guitar, then list it on Reverb for double the price, so that if it does get sold, the seller can just buy another one, and pocket the difference, essentially making it free. 
    It is ridicilous and it's 2023, it will only get more expensive, and reverb will only take more in the future. The guitars that are being sold will probably be about 25% more expensive on a couple of years. Save your Squier strat and sell it in 10 years for £3000.
    I bought a Marshall Guv'nor pedal for £40 on gumtree about 10 years ago, this year I saw an ad for the identical pedal for £750 sold as a piece of Marshall history. I still have the pedal and I'm biding my time until I can get a custom shop guitar for it!
  • LPManic said:
    I haven't read the thread - but please remember that shops use Reverb as a front window. So, if you see something make sure to go straight to their website or email them direct outside of Reverb to get a better price.

For bedroom sellers make sure to haggle like there's no tomorrow.
    I see this all the time on both EBay and reverb listings. Listed as ‘EBay Price’ or ‘Reverb Price’. 

This being on 2K-3K guitars. Go directly to their website and they knocked off just £100. 

Hardly a saving and much easier to have reverb involved should something go wrong with the sale. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    edited September 2023
    I used to really enjoy getting MIJ Ibanez guitars on eBay for £300-£350. Years ago around that time someone listed a load at close to a grand each, and I thought it was some kind of thing where he was hinting you contact directly with an offer. When I did that he wasn't impressed.
    I'm pretty sure this was prior to my daughter being born. She's 7 soon and those same guitars are still on there now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    No-one has to buy an overpriced guitar unless they're some sort of insane collector.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I think we are seeing the remnants of covid price madness that hasn't adjusted to the plunging cesspit of incompetence and greed known as the UK economy. Things on here are generally well priced. I sold my Lowden in a week on a Facebook group (couldn't sell it on here despite trying) but man it wasn't a pleasant experience as they all jumped on me for being a scammer as it was too cheap! I still think this place gives like minded people the reassurance of buying from fellow enthusiasts and you meet a lot of really good folk. It may nor serve for the quickest sale but its still a sound place to buy generally imo. 
    You're absolutely on the money with every point.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    edited September 2023
    There’s a 2014 Johnny Marr Jaguar on there now (also on ebay), the guy wants £3500 for it. At least £1000 over what you’d pay if you walked into a shop and bought a new one now, They were probably £1600 when it was new.
    Madness. They were £1477 in 2014, and I practically couldn’t give one away last year. Ended up getting £1400 for it. I’ve bought 3 and every time I forget how awful they are *edit* just looked and it’s a sherwood green one. Crazily it’s priced at what they sell for to the right buyer 
  • Sherwood Green is arguably nicer than Olympic White… but it’s not £2000 nicer!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    edited September 2023
    I’d rather wait months to find something here than buy it off Reverb straight away. That place is mental. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• I have guitars in my favourites list on Reverb that have literally been listed for a couple of years, and some of those are from reputable UK retailer’s. Don’t quite understand the economical  logic of that. But what would I know 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Another thing to be wary of on Reverb; I listed a pedal but somehow neglected to select the 'sold as described' option.  A week later the buyer raised a refund request as they'd changed their mind and I had to accept the return.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter