Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I built a pedalboard, and ditched my amp (now with Seagulls) - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I built a pedalboard, and ditched my amp (now with Seagulls)

What's Hot
blobbblobb Frets: 2600
edited October 2023 in Guitar
I usually play into Trio+ which sends guitar to an a clean amp and rhythm section goes to monitors.

Great in the room but a bit disturbing if anyone is doing something in the same room. So I came up with this:

Guitar into Lucydreamer, which also has a boost. Into Broadcast as a clean pre-amp, into delay, into Trio, stereo out to Hardwire reverb sending stereo out to 2x inputs on interface, into powered monitors.

So, the best bit, I can direct monitor the interface which means I can now run headphones (in stereo) from my interface and the only person I annoy is myself! It will also be one click DAW record as well with guitar on channel 1 and rhythm on ch2.

The Broadcast a such a great pre-amp, it really chimes. You can get crystal cleans or a bit of break up if you prefer. The Lucydreamer is fantastic, an 808 without the mid hump and the boost can lift the overdrive or colour the Broadcast. Then you have the Broadcast fuzz as well. All of them stack together really well.

Delay LLama sounds so rich and it has some lovely tails hanging in there.

And it's all at desk height for adjustment so no more back breaking to reach down. Trio operates from footswitch on the floor.

It really is band in a box, or band on a tabletop.

Next stage wil be to integrate Beebo into the Trio fx loop, then it will start getting weird.

Who needs big amps any more?

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I love my delay llama.

If you want to get even nicer amp-like tones then I'd recommend trying a revival drive compact. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't always use an amp at home and plug a pedal board into my interface, but I do use an IR speaker aim after the pedals (Revivaldrive for the amp sounds). Does it not sound very fizzy and harsh if you are not using any speaker cab simulator or is there one built into one of the pedals?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That looks like a great set up - I've been considering a Trio+ for home jamming and practice for some time now, seems like a great tool if you learn how to use it. 

Pedaltrain Nano would do nicely for your rig:

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    blobb said:

Who needs big amps any more?

Er, those of us who play with and for other people?
    It does look like a great recording rig though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Yes, you are right there. It's been a while since I had to do that playing in front of people thing. Probably for the best to be honest. =)

It's not fizzy at all. I thought it might be, but it's just like having a good recording level. I might take the reverb off the guitar line though as it's getting a bit washed out having both lines through the same reverb setting.

It's great having it straight to DAW. In time I thnk I might take the stereo headphone out of the Trio for the rhythm section and keep the guitar line mono.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I can't believe I have never thought of doing this. I built a massive pedalboard in lockdown too, using a ton of effects that I have hoarded over the last 40 years or so.
    Then did nothing with it.

Same goes for my half finished telecaster project, but that is another tale of idleness and faddishness!
    edited October 2023
  • I like that! Good job. 
    Cheers @TheBigDipper! just a bit of fun but it amazes me how we have this kit now. How many years rewinding 4 track tape and adjusting tape speed to deal with tape stretch, programming drum machines, God forbid getting real drummers involved (and I include myself in that) - then home DAW came along and plug ins and all that. This is a breeze. Just need to actually compose something a bit more meaningful than getting attacked by flyng vermin!

I've got one of those UltraTap delays in the post, should be fun to see what that can do. There's almost certainy a ping-pong video in there somewhere.

It's growing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter