Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any idea what wood this is? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any idea what wood this is?

What's Hot
As per title. Found this nice  piece of wood hiding in the shed that’s the perfect size for a guitar body, but not sure what it is. Does anybody know?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    WBT2079 said:
    that’s the perfect size for a guitar body, 
    That makes it "guitar wood".
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Really hard to tell from the pic but my first thought was English walnut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    WBT2079 said:
    As per title. Found this nice  piece of wood hiding in the shed that’s the perfect size for a guitar body, but not sure what it is. Does anybody know?
    I’m not sure. How heavy is it? That may make it unsuitable for a guitar anyway…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    I'm gonna guess some type of alternative mahogany, khaya or some such. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikeP said:
    I'm gonna guess some type of alternative mahogany, khaya or some such. 
    I would second that.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    My first thought was Sapele.
    You have some pretty good images of grain structure and general appearance of lots of timber on https://www.wood-database.com/
    If you search for something like Sapele it will also show you a selection of similar types of "mahogany substitute" woods to compare, for example:
    The following article discusses real mahogany vs substitutes:
  • Thanks all
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    Sapele would be pretty heavy/ dense. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    The hard line between the sap wood that makes me think likely not a mahogany type.  Bubinga sometimes has contrast like that, but I don't think it is that

I'm sticking with a walnut, as some European ones can be rather pale