Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
I got to watch this Adam Curtis documentary again, and I found it a bit more interesting than the first time I saw it.

I was in a research environment when the internet came about, so I experienced the early beginnings of it's existence. Needless to say I was convinced that it was really great idea, but surprisingly my thoughts slowly  started to change post Y2K once big business began to show an interest, followed by global governments, etc.

It's definitely worth a watch in 2023 if you can find it online.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1955162

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I love all of his documentaries but this one is especially good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited September 2023
    I love all of his documentaries but this one is especially good.
    Some of his documentaries can be found on BBC iPlayer but I didn't see this particular one.
  • They usually make it on to YT as the fan base is quite wide.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I think it's on prime
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    is the title a quote?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • I like his documentaries but I don't think I've ever seen this one, I will look out for it. 
  • tony99 said:
    is the title a quote?

Poem by Richard Brautigan

All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace

I like to think (and
    the sooner the better!)
    of a cybernetic meadow
    where mammals and computers
    live together in mutually
    programming harmony
    like pure water
    touching clear sky.

I like to think
    (right now, please!)
    of a cybernetic forest
    filled with pines and electronics
    where deer stroll peacefully
    past computers
    as if they were flowers
    with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
    (it has to be!)
    of a cybernetic ecology
    where we are free of our labors
    and joined back to nature,
    returned to our mammal
    brothers and sisters,
    and all watched over
    by machines of loving grace.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Dagnammit. The title made me think MOLG had a new album out. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • tony99 said:
    is the title a quote?

From the Wikipedia page:

"All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" is a poem by Richard Brautigan first published in his 1967 collection of the same name, his fifth book of poetry. It presents an enthusiastic description of a technological utopia in which machines improve and protect the lives of humans. The poem has counterculture and hippie themes, influenced by Cold War-era technology. It has been interpreted both as utopian and as an ironic critique of the utopia it describes. It is Brautigan's most frequently reprinted poem"

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited September 2023
    Going off on a tangent, this song was soundtracked in the above mentioned series, and it's a new one for me. Apparently it appeared in Peaky Blinders too.