Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss TU-2 question - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss TU-2 question

What's Hot
the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
edited September 2023 in FX
Is it normal for the TU-2 to take 6 - 8 seconds from switching on to start actually registering the note in tuning mode? Had a rough gig at the weekend with lots of tuning issues (new strings, poorly cut nut etc etc)...bottom line is I can't afford to wait what feels likes a lifetime for the Boss to start tuning. I've not seen reference to this problem elsewhere which leads me to believe mine has an issue. 

Secondary question...does the TU3 improve on tuning times or am I better off looking at the Polytune 3 or Korg Pitchblack offerings...

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TC Unitune clip on is great backup.  Best tuner I’ve found.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Is it normal for the TU-2 to take 6 - 8 seconds from switching on to start actually registering the note in tuning mode? Had a rough gig at the weekend with lots of tuning issues (new strings, poorly cut nut etc etc)...bottom line is I can't afford to wait what feels likes a lifetime for the Boss to start tuning. I've not seen reference to this problem elsewhere which leads me to believe mine has an issue. 

Secondary question...does the TU3 improve on tuning times or am I better off looking at the Polytune 3 or Korg Pitchblack offerings...
    No, it's not normal unless the battery is on the way out. If you're using it on a power supply not a battery, the first thing to do is check the input jack nut is tight - they can occasionally work loose and cause problems. (Check the output ones while you're at it, but that won't cause the problem.) If it's not that, it sounds like it might have a more serious fault.

The TU-3 is faster and more accurate, but I still prefer the TU-2, it seems less 'fussy'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TC Unitune clip on is great backup.  Best tuner I’ve found.
    Yeah, I've got the polytune clip-on thing but for a live setting I need a pedal for the mute. Just trying to establish whether my tu-2 is behaving normally because apart from the speed, i does everything else i need (accurate enough, buffer, rugged)...
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    edited September 2023
    ICBM said:

No, it's not normal unless the battery is on the way out. If you're using it on a power supply not a battery, the first thing to do is check the input jack nut is tight - they can occasionally work loose and cause problems. (Check the output ones while you're at it, but that won't cause the problem.) If it's not that, it sounds like it might have a more serious fault.

The TU-3 is faster and more accurate, but I still prefer the TU-2, it seems less 'fussy'.
    Interesting, thanks...tried tightening everything up and it's still taking at least 6 seconds to 'find' the note...in my non-technical brain you'd think it would either work or not. Strange that mine seems to have a lag thing happening...looks like tuner shopping is one the cards! 
  • I had a TU-2 that did that, too—I replaced it with another, which didn’t. I do prefer the TU-2 to the TU-3 assuming it isn’t one that does this!
  • well...got a TU3...I am embarrased to say i've gigged with a defective TU2 for best part of 20 years and never questioned it...just thought it was what the Boss tuners did!!  :/ 

Tu3 is slightly more fussy but given that it's got an 8 second head start, I can live with it  =)
  • Tip: enable Accu-Pitch.  It makes the TU-3 less fussy to use, IME.
    https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/articles/215478843-TU-3-Regular-Mode-Vs-Accu-Pitch-Mode
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Tip: enable Accu-Pitch.  It makes the TU-3 less fussy to use, IME.
    https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/articles/215478843-TU-3-Regular-Mode-Vs-Accu-Pitch-Mode
    Good tip - already on it!  ;)