Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tool to use Google Drive Images in TheFretboard Classifieds - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tool to use Google Drive Images in TheFretboard Classifieds

What's Hot
Hi folks!

I know that many people (including myself) struggle with embedding images on their ads in the Classifieds section, so I thought I'd make a really basic online tool that can be used to generate embed-able links from Google Drive Links.

Let's get started.

What you need:
1) A Google Account
2) A nice Guitar or something that you want to sell/list so people on TFB can post thirsty comments about it and offer trades instead of hard cash money (guilty!).

Steps:
1) Upload your images to your Google Drive (http://drive.google.com/ ) . I usually create a new folder for each of the things I want to sell, it just makes things a bit more organised. To make a Folder > Rightclick and click 'Add folder'

2) Once you have your folder with the images uploaded, click on the Folder, click Share, go to the options and set access to 'Anyone with the link' and ensure the right hand side says 'Viewer'

3) Open The link below to the Google Sheets tool (The Fretboard Google Drive Image Tool, or "FGDIT" - pronounced FUG DIT, which is similar to something else I say when uploading images here) that I made to reformat the links:
Click File > Make a Copy or if you have Excel or another editor, just download the .xlsx file. Keep this open.

4) In Google Drive, Copy the links for your images individually, by clicking the three dots next to the image, clicking Share and then clicking Copy link

5) Paste the copied link into Column A of the FGDIT tool, another link should appear in column B - you can do up to 100 links at once

6) Copy the link from column B and paste it into the Image embed feature on Thefretboard

7) Repeat with all links. You can keep copying and pasting and the images will appear one after the other in the listing.

I hope that this guide and the FGDIT tool will help someone sell that special guitar!

If I've missed anything here, or something isn't working, please let me know and i'll try to help!

Cheers,
Stephen

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Or ....

Subscribe and (a) get free and easy drag-and-drop image uploads and (b) contribute to the running costs of the forum.

The issue with *all* of the "free" image hosting services is that they regularly change their terms of service (free becomes not free), and/or functionality (worked yesterday, doesn't work today), or even just disappears completely.  Plus, what you think works, doesn't always, or for everyone, or without annoying pop-ups.  You test it on your set-up (device, OS version, browser), but those images aren't always visible on a different combination, or on the next OS version, or without clearing multiple pop-ups first.

Anyone remember Picasa?  Or FotoFucket.  Or free Flickr?

I say that because I put a lot of time into defining "how to" for the typical image hosts and platform combinations.  But that was outdated pretty quickly when the host changed their service, or a new OS version was released, or (etc).

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:
    Or ....

Subscribe and (a) get free and easy drag-and-drop image uploads and (b) contribute to the running costs of the forum.

The issue with *all* of the "free" image hosting services is that they regularly change their terms of service (free becomes not free), and/or functionality (worked yesterday, doesn't work today), or even just disappears completely.  Plus, what you think works, doesn't always, or for everyone, or without annoying pop-ups.  You test it on your set-up (device, OS version, browser), but those images aren't always visible on a different combination, or on the next OS version, or without clearing multiple pop-ups first.

Anyone remember Picasa?  Or FotoFucket.  Or free Flickr?

I say that because I put a lot of time into defining "how to" for the typical image hosts and platform combinations.  But that was outdated pretty quickly when the host changed their service, or a new OS version was released, or (etc).

;)

Fair enough, point taken, I obviously didn't think of subscription when writing this, just wanted a solution to a problem that I was having at that moment and figured it might help someone else in the same position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    Sorry this is way more complicated than Imgur album and copying the direct link. It’s very straightforward and there are easily searchable instructions on the site. 

Or, yes, subscribe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    A subscription is about £4 a month, it allows you to add a picture in about 20 seconds with about 3-4 clicks.  

Given that there are no listing or selling fees (classifieds is free to use) I think £4 is a bargain if you wanna sell a guitar, amp or pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    To clarify my post last night - and with apologies to @StephenB - I didn't mean to dismiss his guidance or the time/effort he put into creating that guide.

But we've seen it repeatedly with all the hosts, and platform OS or browser updates - a process may work today, but they invariably break sooner or later, or may break for someone using an Android device and Firefox but not for someone else using a PC and Chrome, unless the PC user is still on Windows 10, or they forget to close all south facing windows and make sure that Planet Rock isn't playing on next door's digital radio (streaming via the app is fine) before they try to upload something ...
    :D

Alternatively, as noted above, the upload facility for subscribers (which StephenB now is) is as-simple-as.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I might have look at it. My phone camera syncs to Google photos and I pay a little bit for Google cloud storage. My current workflow is Google -> Imgur
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited September 2023
    pt22 said: Or, yes, subscribe. 
    TTony said: Alternatively, as noted above, the upload facility for subscribers (which StephenB now is) is as-simple-as.
    I’m a subscriber but I keep getting the message ‘pic to large’ when trying to post something. And at that point it’s quicker and easier to go back to good ol’ Imgur rather than have the faff of turning the iPhone pic into a jpeg and reducing the size and then trying to upload it again.
    @fretfinder ;

There's a limit on the file size you can upload - it's ~2mb/file.  

It's a balance between the subscription rate and the cost of storage that comes with that rate, which is modelled down to a file size per upload (obviously lots of assumptions/variables in that calculation).

I just reduce the size/quality of the files I upload here, which isn't hard, rather than uploading the original photo.
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    pt22 said: Or, yes, subscribe. 
    TTony said: Alternatively, as noted above, the upload facility for subscribers (which StephenB now is) is as-simple-as.
    I’m a subscriber but I keep getting the message ‘pic to large’ when trying to post something. And at that point it’s quicker and easier to go back to good ol’ Imgur rather than have the faff of turning the iPhone pic into a jpeg and reducing the size and then trying to upload it again.
    If doing it from an iPhone click on “show selected/actual size” and change it to medium or large. That way the image is usually under 1mb
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited September 2023
    TTony said:
    @fretfinder ;;

There's a limit on the file size you can upload - it's ~2mb/file.  

It's a balance between the subscription rate and the cost of storage that comes with that rate, which is modelled down to a file size per upload (obviously lots of assumptions/variables in that calculation).

I just reduce the size/quality of the files I upload here, which isn't hard, rather than uploading the original photo.
    I’m aware there’s a size limit. Digitalscream was talking about possibly increasing it to 3mb.

If you’re on iPhone/iPad, how do you reduce the size /quality of a photo and turn it into a jpeg? I email it to myself and then resave it but that’s rather laborious, compared with the relative simplicity of using Imgur.
  • I subscribe and still use Imgur just because I'm in the habit. But honestly using Google/Dropbox/facebook/icloud is such a pain I'm amazed people ever do it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    @fretfinder i have detailed this in my last post
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    TTony said:
    Or ....

For less than the price of a pint of beer each month (in fact considerably less these days), subscription is a total no-brainer.
    I subscribe and still use Imgur just because I'm in the habit
    Yeah same. "Repetitive and restrictive behaviour"
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    TTony said:
    Or ....

For less than the price of a pint of beer each month (in fact considerably less these days), subscription is a total no-brainer.
    For the non drinkers here (HAHAHAHAHAHA) it’s less than any Heinz products right now
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    You can lob the end off those Drive URLs with forumula:

=mid(A1,1,len(A1)-20)

Where A1 is the URL

It's a little more fragile but Google could change anything tomorrow without warning
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    I post to my Pinterest page and link that to the Fetboard
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Great band but what are they doing in the classifieds?