Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Solo - can anyone explain what is happening here? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Solo - can anyone explain what is happening here?

What's Hot
pjfpjf Frets: 304
edited September 2023 in Guitar
My little bro is obsessed with this band

Could someone kindly explain what this guitarist is doing - in terms of tone, gear, scales? Is there any tapping involved?

The band is "Monster Truck", the song is "Get My Things and Go", and the 30-second solo begins around 1:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alG8NqgX38A

To me it sounds like a wah pedal and lots of pentatonic (?) runs. There's what sounds like a 1.5 step bend at 1:56.

it doesn't sound impossible to learn, I'd just like to understand what is happening before I try to learn it for him.

P.S There's a live video on Youtube where the guitarist is playing on an SG with a wah pedal but the solo is different, I'm asking specifically about the above version.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Bit of phaser on a couple of bars. It's 95% pentatonic I'd say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    No doesn't sound impossible to learn. Dm blues pentatonic. There aren't any uber fast runs and sounds pretty standard blues pentatonic for the most part, apart from the short section in the middle where I can hear what sounds like a 9th being repeated (I don't have my guitar while I'm writing this so apologies if I'm wrong lol). Just saying that's the only bit that doesn't sound blues pentatonic.

There's a descending blues run near the beginning where its hard to make out the individual notes because of the fully cocked wah at that point. But overall I think you gotta nail those bends (and vibratos) to really replicate it and not just hit the solo note for note. Great solo though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah, mainly just standard pentatonic stuff with a few chromatic notes thrown in for colour in a few places. Nice vibrato, though - almost had a Jake E. Lee feel in places to my ears. 
  • It's cool, I like it.  It's very basic, and I know that because it reminds me of my own lead playing!  There's definitely some chromatic playing that repeats, basically running down the D minor pentatonic at the 10th fret including the notes between, specifically Bb. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • pjfpjf Frets: 304
    Thanks, all really helpful. Time to re-learn playing with a pick, I can’t see that done fingerstyle  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

If there is, it's subtle enough that you wouldn't need one. All sounds like stuff you could do with a wah pedal to me.

pjf said:

P.S There's a live video on Youtube where the guitarist is playing on an SG with a wah pedal but the solo is different, I'm asking specifically about the above version.

While it's totally worthwhile learning a solo you like as close as possible, this is worth pointing out too. The solo on the record was likely improvised, so even the guy who played it probably couldn't do it again exactly the same.

That's particularly relevant for the last little run around 2:03 which definitely sounds like it was made up on the spot and wouldn't really make any rhythmical sense if you were to notate it. Likewise the playout part from around 2:43, which is just a repeated pattern played as fast as the guy can manage. That kind of playing is better (and much easier) to copy in spirit than it is to nail note-for-note. That kind of playing is as much about attitude and feel as it is about the exact note choice or rhythmic accuracy.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• It's not impossible at all. It's an intermediate solo, nothing that fast in there, nothing that advanced and sounds more difficult than it is. Give it a go, you'll find it's not as hard as you think it is.
  • That kind of playing is better (and much easier) to copy in spirit than it is to nail note-for-note. That kind of playing is as much about attitude and feel as it is about the exact note choice or rhythmic accuracy.
    Wholeheartedly agree.  It's probably why it reminds me of my own playing - because I've rarely learned anything from start to finish accurately!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:

If there is, it's subtle enough that you wouldn't need one. All sounds like stuff you could do with a wah pedal to me.
    You're right it's just a slow wah sweep at 1:46
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    I can't comment on the theory because I am almost completely music-less (and thicker than moose dribble). 

But I will say the track in the video has more than a faint whiff of an updated ZZ Top track: La Grange, for instance. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)