Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD - Fender American Special Stratocaster Sonic Blue - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD - Fender American Special Stratocaster Sonic Blue

What's Hot
New Guitar Day - Fender American Special Stratocaster Sonic Blue

Just got hold of this second hand Strat from 2016 and it looks almost new. Great 70s style headstock, which I love, and a rosewood fingerboard too.

It came with what I think were gauge 8 strings, so it’s taken a bit of setting up now that I’ve changed to a set of 10s. The tremolo especially needed some serious adjustment. Everything seems good now.

The pickups are Texas Specials, which I don’t know a great deal about, but they certainly sound pretty good. The only thing I’m not totally sure about are the jumbo frets, don’t think I’ve ever had a guitar with those. They do seem quite tall, but I’m not sure if I’m over thinking that at the moment. They actually feel quite slinky. Does anyone know the advantages of having jumbo frets? Bending does feel nice.

Very pleased with it so far.

0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    That is perfect. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    edited September 2023
    What a perfect and elegant thing that is. Class just always endures doesn’t it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    I once played a mate's Strat with texas specials. Definitely twangier than  my standard strat pickups. The notes just seemed to pop out more. Especially when I went hard at it a la Philip Sayce with a tube screamer. Made me jealous because it made mine sound too dark by comparison! 
  • Classic.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Lovely.  That is a classic-looking Strat.  Love the colour of the body and the scratchplate, the lovely dark r/w 'board and the decent-sized frets.

Many have tried but in reality I don't think you can improve on a decent US Strat.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Looks lovely.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Nice! I'd like a guitar that colour for sure. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    I love my jumbo frets. I think they make the guitar more expressive. Also there’s more meat so they last longer. I had some dressed back a while ago & there’s still plenty of life in them. 

I bought a 2016 Am Special in January. Mines the maple board, fiesta red one. I love it. Although it’s now been hot Rodded with a Dimarzio SD in the bridge & a Vega Trem.

Enjoy. 
  • Beautiful thing !!
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 287
    Absolute stunner! Hope you enjoy it
  • Ohhh very nice - she’s my type of gal indeed (and I don’t often say that !).

Personally I’d struggle slightly with the jumbo frets so may go for a dressing to lower a smidge.

Great colour and gorgeous rosewood board. 

When I had some Texas Specials I thought they were brill - lots of smooth cut.

Congrats !!!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    So pretty... one of the best strat colours, especially with the mint scratchplate and lovely rosewood. HNGD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Ace colour 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Great guitar - congrats! It would be interesting to get your thoughts on the Texas Specials.

I have a CS Strat with Texas Specials and I’m really not sure. They take gain well and certainly pop out of a mix, but they seem to have a bit of a middy ‘honk’ that dominates and are pretty compressed sounding. Sometimes I think I really like them, but I have a feeling a decent set of more ‘classic’ pickups would be better. Something like the CS 69s or Pure Vintage ‘65 maybe? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    26.2 said:
    Great guitar - congrats! It would be interesting to get your thoughts on the Texas Specials.

I have a CS Strat with Texas Specials and I’m really not sure. They take gain well and certainly pop out of a mix, but they seem to have a bit of a middy ‘honk’ that dominates and are pretty compressed sounding. Sometimes I think I really like them, but I have a feeling a decent set of more ‘classic’ pickups would be better. Something like the CS 69s or Pure Vintage ‘65 maybe? 
    My CS Strat has Texas Specials and they sound nothing like the Texas Specials in my other two Strats. I agree with your impression of them. I was going to change them. But as I don’t gig the guitar I decided not too. 

I think the CS ones are very different and not in a good way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    that's not been played much...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    No, I don't think it has. Not yet anyway!
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Beautiful strat. 

I don't like massive frets, but I prefer the Jumbo's on these to the 'tall, narrow' (6105?) fretwire everyone loves these days. 
  • Good score, enjoy. I had a Strat with jumbo frets and it played really well, I liked them. I’m less of a fan of the large headstock tbh but you’ve cunningly minimised it with your photo angle!  ;)
    Great colour too, love a Sonic Blue Strat.  :)