Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). A+E for a splinter! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

A+E for a splinter!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RobDavies said:
    Don’t feel bad about going to A&E with a splinter.  The last time I was in Southampton General’s emergency department, it was to have the cotton from a cotton bud removed from my ear.  

I still enjoy sticking them in my ears now but ALWAYS use Johnson’s and not Asda own brand.  
    The only thing you should poke in your ear is your elbow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I decided the only sensible option was to cut my foot off.

In hindsight, it wasn't my best decision.
    If only you'd said before.

With only one foot, you definitely need an auto.
    https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/yeti/for-sale/gearbox-automatic/#:~:text=If you're looking for,budgets, tastes, and lifestyles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    RobDavies said:
    Don’t feel bad about going to A&E with a splinter.  The last time I was in Southampton General’s emergency department, it was to have the cotton from a cotton bud removed from my ear.  

I still enjoy sticking them in my ears now but ALWAYS use Johnson’s and not Asda own brand.  
    My grandmother always said 'never touch your eye, except with your elbow'.
    Took me a quite a while to work out the absolute sense of it...  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had to go to A+E to have a splinter removed when I about 12. It was over an inch long and in my right arse cheek. We’d been messing about shoving each other on the PE benches. 

I tried to get it out but couldn’t. Went to the school nurse and she couldn’t. Nor could the other school nurse so A+E it was. 

5 injections and a couple of stitches later and it was out. 

Not embarrassing at all for a 12 year old lad
  • @skunkwerx - intrigued to know what you’re shooting to get a belt like that. 

My brother had a stay in hospital and a skin graft after lancing an insect bite on his thumb. He didn’t realise that he’s an MRSA carrier and he pushed it through his skin into the muscle underneath. A chunk of that was cut away and skin taken from his forearm to cover the hole. It’s worth disinfecting yourself and anything you use before doing home surgery. 

Anyhoo, hope you’re sorted and home soon. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, because I've seen for myself how bad an archery injury like that can be, but I'm really curious about whether the furry thing in the photo is a taxidermy trophy of something you hunted, or a live animal.  It seems to have an outstretched paw.

• cm01cm01 Frets: 419
    edited September 2023
    I went to A&E over here in Aus a few months back when I tore my bicep tendon, which was excruciatingly painful, but I didn't realise what I'd done at the time because all of the pain was in my forearm where the tendon attached (or not as the case may be!). They had signs up saying 'Is it an Emergency?  Go to your GP if.....' followed by a long list of ailments you shouldn't bother A&E with, top of the list being broken bones!!  I sat there for 3 hours for them to X-Ray my arm, not bother examining it and then send me home saying it was a sprain and to go see my GP if it was still hurting in 7 days... my GP wasn't impressed!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Emp_Fab said:
    I once went to A&E because of a blister on my heel.  My GP couldn't give me an appointment for at least two weeks so I had no alternative, not being wealthy enough to afford private healthcare.  After waiting in A&E for six hours, having to endure an endless stream of skanky crims, usually accompanied by constables, plus the odd old lady on her last legs, I decided the only sensible option was to cut my foot off.

One less to put into your mouth.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited September 2023
    BillDL said:
    I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, because I've seen for myself how bad an archery injury like that can be, but I'm really curious about whether the furry thing in the photo is a taxidermy trophy of something you hunted, or a live animal.  It seems to have an outstretched paw.

Haha no worries! 

Bowhunting in the UK is illegal, and even if it wasn't, personally I still wouldn't choose to shoot an animal. 

Just a personal thing for me though. If others hunt then thats their bag I guess. 

There is a type of archery called field archery, which usually takes place around courses laid out in woodlands, and sometimes the targets are life size 3d animals, made from rubber/hard foam. I do enjoy that, its quite different to shooting the usual round paper face targets, but its still 'target' archery rather than a hunting simulation. Ie shoot from a peg at a marked or unmarked distance and score the arrows based on how close to the 'kill zone' they hit. 

As for the furry thing you can see, that is a fake fur hat/hood type thing... keeps my bald head unbelievably toasty when playing guitar in the winter months haha. 

Here it is: 

It has ears, and long drapes with pockets at the end and when I saw it I thought I have got to have that! Lol should have been born a women really!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @skunkwerx - intrigued to know what you’re shooting to get a belt like that. 

My brother had a stay in hospital and a skin graft after lancing an insect bite on his thumb. He didn’t realise that he’s an MRSA carrier and he pushed it through his skin into the muscle underneath. A chunk of that was cut away and skin taken from his forearm to cover the hole. It’s worth disinfecting yourself and anything you use before doing home surgery. 

A bloody compound bow it was! 

I usually shoot recurve bows, but theres good banter between the compound archers and recurve archers, and a fellow member recently switched to compound and brought it along, offered me to have a go so I did.. to see what the dark side was like... 

Anyway, I'd never shot one before and the very first shot and that happened. My bow arm was at all the wrong angles. It was about 40lbs in draw weight, and I've no idea how fast the string would be travelling when it whipped me but my god did it sting! 

Needless to say the 5 shots I took after that I was very conscious to keep the arm way clear haha. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    I had a splinter like that turn into a painful pus filled mess after digging it out myself (badly).  So worth getting out or cleaning/disinfected.

I did get a fly fishing hook in my face… that was fun and did require an A&E visit to cut and push it through, I was given a tetanus shot.  

I did think I was being silly but they see things like this all the time and were really nice about it. 

They’ve seen it all before. 
    That happened to me once, the fly was quite a big fluffy thing in dayglow orange. When I eventually got to see a doctor, he laughed so much he couldn't do the job, a nurse I know it's eventually dealt with it, it was quite painful. First the nurse had to cut the hook and then withdraw it. Even the nurse thought it was quite funny. Worst thing was I had to have a tetanus jab, I hate test tetanus jabs.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Emp_Fab said:
    I once went to A&E because of a blister on my heel.  My GP couldn't give me an appointment for at least two weeks so I had no alternative, not being wealthy enough to afford private healthcare.  After waiting in A&E for six hours, having to endure an endless stream of skanky crims, usually accompanied by constables, plus the odd old lady on her last legs, I decided the only sensible option was to cut my foot off.

One less to put into your mouth.
    I never put my foot in my mouth.  I always say what I mean and mean what I say.  The problem is with the recipients' ears, or rather the void between them.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerx said:
    @skunkwerx - intrigued to know what you’re shooting to get a belt like that. 

I usually shoot recurve bows, but theres good banter between the compound archers and recurve archers, and a fellow member recently switched to compound and brought it along, offered me to have a go so I did.. to see what the dark side was like... 

Anyway, I'd never shot one before and the very first shot and that happened. My bow arm was at all the wrong angles. It was about 40lbs in draw weight, and I've no idea how fast the string would be travelling when it whipped me but my god did it sting! 

Needless to say the 5 shots I took after that I was very conscious to keep the arm way clear haha. 

I had a go at shooting compound but got the yips so bad that I had to stop. The most bizarre sensation I’ve ever had, like someone else controlling my body. In fact the only thing that really kept it under control was shooting recurve with a clicker. 

Still, could have been worse - if that had hit your tit your eyes would still be watering.  :)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • skunkwerx said:
    @skunkwerx - intrigued to know what you’re shooting to get a belt like that. 

I had a go at shooting compound but got the yips so bad that I had to stop. The most bizarre sensation I’ve ever had, like someone else controlling my body. In fact the only thing that really kept it under control was shooting recurve with a clicker. 

Still, could have been worse - if that had hit your tit your eyes would still be watering.  :)
    Ahh that is a problem I can relate to very much! 
    @Dr_Necessiter this may be a long ish read but might interest you! 

I bet you could draw up and aim perfectly if you know you were going to come down and not make the shot. 

In archery, or any shooting sport really, it's called 'Target Panic' or 'shot anticipation'. 

When I first started back when I was 14 I shot quite well with a recurve but a year later I developed target panic so bad. 

I would 'lock' off target and no matter how strong I was I could not for the life of me move the sight onto the gold of the target. Its like I was frozen, like the bow arm weighed a million pounds. I would have to almost jerk my arm to get the sight on the gold then release at the same time. 

If I tried to draw up with the sight already on the gold, I could not get the string back to my face, I'd loose at 3/4 draw. Couldnt help it, no matter how hard I tried, I would just snap shoot, let go way before I reached full draw. 

No one could understand it back then. I gave up. 
    It always bothered me.. I hated it. 

Then about 6 years later I decided to give it another go, as an adult. First arrow and boom, there came back the problem immediately.. like it never ever went away. I gave up again. 

I was always too embarrassed to tell people exactly what the problems were, and I thought I would sound absolutely nuts!

Then 3 years ago (as my mum and step dad have always shot), they convinced me to give it another go. 
    Step dad coached me for several weeks and I was managing it. 

But it was still there and getting worse again. 

My step dad was the one who said 'its target panic'. 
    I thought initially no, I'm not panicking.. 
    So I started researching and there it was! 

Finally all those years later I found it had a name. Researching further there I found the yips, and for gymnastics the twistys. Its very similar. 

There are tonnes of 'cures' or 'drills' online, they might help for a short period but then the issue comes back. 

I even enlisted a psychiatrist and had a couple of sessions because I thought this has got to be in my mind! It didnt work. 

I then discovered a guy named Joel Turner. He is an American archer, former Swat sniper etc etc. 
    He wrote a book called Controlled Process Shooting. 
    The science behind Target Panic. 

I bought it with little hope to be honest. 

Best £20 I've ever spent. 

Long story short ish, there isnt any cure. But he has seen many archers and shooters suffer from it and developed a process of shooting that can help get it under control. 

In brief, when a bow or a gun goes off, there is an explosion of sorts, a recoil. Our brains are hardwired to protect us from explosions since the day we were born. Letting an explosion go off in front of us and not bracing for it is unnatural.

Pulling a trigger or settling a bow on the target means we know full well what is coming, we know we are going to make it go off. Our brain doesnt want that to be a surprise. 

So, what do our brains do? They will only let us let the explosion happen if we are ready for it.. the result is it means locking off target or not reaching full draw because then it knows the bow or gun wont go off and we are safe.

We will then force it to happen by jerking the sight over and firing at the same time or releasing before we are at full draw. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Dr_Necessiter ;

So. The reason you had better experience with a recurve and clicker? 

You couldnt shoot until the arrow came through the clicker, we know that, our brains know that. So you can aim on the target, settle in nicely and keep pulling until 'click', then immediate release. 

The key to that is, the click of the clicker cannot really be anticipated. It serves as something outside of our body telling us when to fire and we cant guess when it's coming. 

When it does happen we fire, and that process is way too fast for our brains to then 'protect' us from the coming recoil. 

So having something external that we cannot anticipate that acts as a trigger for us to 'fire' or loose the arrow is the key. Counting, doesnt work, we can anticipate that, we know when 1,2,3 will come. 

So Joel Turner developed a shooting process that effectively breaks the shot down into two stages. 

Pull back, aim is stage one. The sub conscious can take care of that. 

It will work because we know we cannot fire until stage 2 is done. 

Stage 2 is the hard part. We have to use our conscious mind (something thats called a closed loop process) and focus intently on the action that will make the external thing that tells us when to shoot happen. (Ir a clicker on a recurve). 

So for me I shift my focus to my hand holding the string, saying 'keep pulling keep pulling'. Eventually the clicker goes off. 

Thats basically as brief as I can describe it, theres a fair bit of science and psychology behind it that Joel Explains in the book and there are cues that are to be used in the form of verbalisations throughout the shot. 

He has the same but modified process for compounds and traditional archery too. 

But yes I completely understand how you felt!
    Every single shot I make I'm combating 'target panic' and implementing his process. Its not easy, but I've gone from literally not being able to hit a barn door, to being right up the top end of the club and in the top 8 at regional competitions. 

I owe that man a beer at the very least!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a crash a few years ago where my car spun on a muddy road & bounced off a fence straining post & section of hawthorn hedge. My drivers window was smashed & I had some minor cuts & scratches on the right side.
    Over the next few weeks my right wrist joint became more & more sore & inflamed, yet X-rays showed nothing.
    One day in sheer pain & rage I gave the angry red lump a good squeeze & a hawthorn came rising out in a sort of pus volcano.  It was about 1cm long & left a small scar that I still have today.

Going to A&E with 'just' a splinter seems to have brought out the macho side of a few here, yet that is just what the 'accident' bit is for...
    Once upon a time I would have suggested going to a Minor Injuries Walk In unit instead. They were a great idea, taking pressure off serious cases in A&E in the wider Sunderland area. Guess what happened?
    They were 'adopted' by an unelected group of local GP's acting as a consortium. The walk in aspect was scrapped & appointments had to be made, rendering the useful part of the service useless & putting pressure back onto over strained A&E's. Genius at work...

That’s awful , it must have been quite satisfying when that thorn popped out though 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lol/Wis... Lol this time  ;)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    If we ever have to like, go and slay a demigorgon, and we need to form a party, I'll take @skunkwerx as the archer/hunter of the party. I'll be healer obviously, so we just need a rogue, a warrior and a mage. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If we ever have to like, go and slay a demigorgon, and we need to form a party, I'll take @skunkwerx as the archer/hunter of the party. I'll be healer obviously, so we just need a rogue, a warrior and a mage. 
    I reckon we can find them among us!
  • skunkwerx said:
    If we ever have to like, go and slay a demigorgon, and we need to form a party, I'll take @skunkwerx as the archer/hunter of the party. I'll be healer obviously, so we just need a rogue, a warrior and a mage. 
    I reckon we can find them among us!

9ea.jpg 151.8K
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    RobDavies said:

Took me a quite a while to work out the absolute sense of it...  :#
    She didn't wear contact lenses, did she?
    edited October 2023
    Pjon said:
    RobDavies said:

Took me a quite a while to work out the absolute sense of it... 
    She didn't wear contact lenses, did she?
    In wearing contact lenses for over 50 years, I have never needed to touch my eye with my finger, much less any other body part