Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD (With a long story) - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD (With a long story)

What's Hot
Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 135
edited September 2023 in Guitar

I was visiting my home town Izmir (Turkey) earlier this year in March and I met a local guitar and amp builder whom I found via social media. He is kind of specialized on strats with aged finish and fender/dumble-ish amps. I was very impressed after trying 2 of his builds even if  I am mostly a tele guy for the last 4-5 years.

I decided to give a custom order after some chatting, playing and looking at pre-cut woods. I selected an alder body with a good weight same piece from one of the guitars that I tried. And I selected a neck with flame maple and the famous rosewood from South America for the fretboard. We also talked about the neck thickness and profile and agreed on a slightly chunkier neck which measures 0.96-0.97” at 12th fret.

And the most important part was the colour. I always loved Sherwood green but after seeing some Danocasters on the web I asked him if he can do “aged lake placid blue” (blue faded into green). At the beginning he told me that he tried this colour in the past but he was not perfectly happy with the result. He told me that he will make some trials again and share the results with me then we can change to a different colour unless we don’t like the result.

I came back to London after and we kept the contact for the other details via phone and emails. Guitar was finished in August and I was able to collect in September when I was there for summer holiday.

Colour trials went well:

I really how it looks, colour, aging, neck etc. It felt a little bit different at the beginning in my hands because I was not playing strats for long but I am getting used to it again.

0reaction image LOL 25reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I can't see the pictures at work but I love the story! Looking forward to having a proper look from home :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    It looks absolutely gorgeous, congratulations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Beautiful guitar man. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    That's lovely.  And that neck... good lord.
  • Revisited and duly wowed. That’s rather good!! 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    He's one hell of a luthier/builder, that looks amazing
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Looks great. Who built it?
  • Love it! The neck reminds me of a lot of what you see on Smitty guitars. 

Does the fella have a webpage or FB page? Would be nice to give him a proper 'shout out', even if it's unlikely many of us are gonna be heading to Izmir to buy a guitar. But you never know! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Wow that is stunning. Congrats
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 135
    edited September 2023
    @stickyfiddle @dazzajl @blueskunk @Offset @tony99 Thank you guys!

@rhinofeet @Dontgiveupyourdayjob ;;;
    Luthier name is Ertan Elmalik, his brand: Elma Guitars & Amps. His Instagram page:
    https://instagram.com/elmaguitaramp?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
    I think he has a FB page as well but but his IG is more up to date. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Utterly fantastic.  And, that neck :astonished: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • That's lovely. Can you still see the light patch on the fretboard around the 17th fret on the finished guitar?

Nature's little anti-theft mechanism.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited September 2023
    Wowsers, thats awesome, that fretboard is amazing!!

Dare I ask, what pickups are in it, and rough ballpark cost? Sorry for being cheeky but I do like boutique Strats! If you want to not say I understand!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    That's lovely. Can you still see the light patch on the fretboard around the 17th fret on the finished guitar?

Nature's little anti-theft mechanism.
    ha I looked for that too, can't spot it
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    congrats, absolute beauty. Fretboard in particular has my eye.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • @english_bob @tony99 You can still see those but not as pronounced as before frets

• Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 135
    edited September 2023
    @roberty @jerkmoans @Boromedic thanks guys.

He told me that he is rubbing fretboard with another small piece of rosewood, I think this makes it a little bit shiny and smoother. 

Picks up are also made by him, he is a real geek and knows a lot about pickups and vintage stuff. He told me that he also installed a sheet of aluminum under the pick-guard which helps to get rid of some treble frequencies and make the guitar sound similar like a real vintage guitar. 

He wound the neck pick up twice after testing the guitar on the stage with higher volumes and in band context. One of the things that I wanted to get one of his guitars, he is a good player. I am not saying that all the good guitar makers needs to be player but I guess it helps. There is also a bottom plate at the bridge pickup, I guess it adds some umph.
  • Very nice looking guitar!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Impressive!!!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That amp, too. I see he is a man of taste :-)

• Absolutely stunning ,congratulations 
  • That's a real beauty, great colour and that neck - wow! HNGD.
  • @roberty Yes!! I played that amp and it was fantastic. He refurbished that one with some old parts and sounded amazing. 

@richman6100 @hollywoodrox @grungebob @Yorkie Thank you!!

• May I ask what sort of ballpark this sits in, price wise? 
  • That's a stunner, and a great story too. Enjoy!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar