Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Frampton Comes Alive 35th Anni- WOW. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Frampton Comes Alive 35th Anni- WOW.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30192
I've always thought Frampton was someone I should explore more- even as far back as seeing him with Bowie in 1987.

But FCA35th is absolutely bloody jaw dropping. I really didn't realise just how incredible this man is.

I listened to the whole album on repeat on the drive to Lille and back over the weekend and my gast if flabbered.

Absolutely bloody incredible. I have really missed out on this bloke.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Do I sense a 3 pickup Les Paul on your horizon Gassage ?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Do I sense a 3 pickup Les Paul on your horizon Gassage ?
    Fell off the back of a plane
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Do I sense a 3 pickup Les Paul on your horizon Gassage ?
    Nope.

I actually prefer his 1960 burst!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    It is a long time since I last heard the whole album from beginning to end 

I also saw Frampton as Bowie's guitarist on the Glass Spider Tour in 1987 - Maine Rd Manchester and it poured down
  • I regularly listen to the original and comes alive II, both are for me utterly fantastic, the first one a huge part of the soundtrack to my teenage years. Easily in my all time top ten albums
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I've just never managed to get into that album. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Astonishing

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I've never even heard the original, and although he seems a nice chap I suspect I'd hate it. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    I loved that album when it was released in 76.

I was lucky to see him play a 35th anniversary concert at Bridgewater Hall, front row, and have a recording of the event. First half was FCA then after the interval greatest hits.
  • Doesn't this fly in the face of some of the opinions in here?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/44641/unpopular-musical-opinions#latest

Personallly, I have always rated Live and Dangerous ... but I'm a Lizzy fan.

I must now revisit FCA too :+1: 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    edited September 2023
    FCA35 is one of my guilty pleasures...what an album, what a guitar player, some of it is a bit cheesy in parts.

There's youtube footage somewhere of the same band on a live TV performance doing "Do you feel like we do" where that middle bit with the talkbox builds up into one of the best funky vamps I've ever heard and better than the one on FCA35 - I'll see if I can find it and post it here - I think its some Canadian Music show.

EDIT - Found it...47 mins in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've always quite liked Frampton because he was the featured interview and cover star of the first issue of Guitar Player I ever bought, at the end of 1981.  As a result I bought a few of his albums, and of course Humble Pie's Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore.

He's a very talented chap, with a unique style like many of his generation, although to be honest he's never quite rockin' enough for my tastes so I don't listen to him very often.
  • I bought Frampton comes alive when it first came out as a fifteen year old. I didn’t realise that some of his early albums were recorded in the next village to where I have lived the last thirty plus years. Recorded at Clearwell Castle in the Forest of Dean.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    I was lucky to see him at Royal Albert Hall last year - which was easily one of the best gigs I have ever been to - and then spend time with him at a guitar camp in Vegas in January. He asked me what I thought of the RAH gig, and my reply - with tongue firmly in cheek - was "Yeah, it was alright".

Thankfully, he still retains his British sense of humour!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited September 2023
    I’ve told this story before but I was at BT’s training college in Staffs for a course, some time in the early 90s. One of the lecturers was really into blues music and invited those who were interested over to a pub in Newcastle under Lyme where the resident band were the Barflies, which featured most of the Climax Blues Band, who were quite big in the 70s. 

I was sitting watching the show and the band were inviting people they knew up to sit in and play. Balding guy near me opens up a tatty old hard case and produces a really sweet Les Paul. I said something like “nice guitar” and we had a bit of a chat, where he said he knew the band. He then introduced himself.  “I’m Peter Frampton”. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    He's pretty much my all time favourite player. His style is so melodic. He's certainly had the most influence on my own playing.
    His soloing on Humble Pie's Performance, Rocking The Fillmore is the stuff of legend, he was way above his peer group at the time, it was like he was inhabiting another universe.
    Check out his solo at 2.17 on Stone Cold Fever from the album, it's just so 'out there'.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter