Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ‘Musical’ overdrive. Wtf? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

‘Musical’ overdrive. Wtf?

What's Hot
This is the strangest description ever used in pedal reviews for me. Does anybody have any clue what somebody is trying to get across when they use it? Feels like the most nonsense of all guitar pedal jargon…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• It means that if you wind it up and then open it, it plays a tinkly version of The Nutcracker Suite while a model ballerina rotates for your amazement and delight.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's the opposite of "un-musical".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • But in general I am always impressed by the gap between the reality of an overdrive (compression, sustain and a buzzing noise caused by squaring off the waveforms) and the lyricism of the manufacturers' marketing staff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    The old Jan Ray marketing bumpf going on about the tonal characteristics of the enclosure was funny. 

Also Isle of Tone going on about NOS cardboard for their circuit board. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Bearing in mind not only how many different types of music there are in the world, and how many different guitar tones there are.... and taste. Let's not forget a twiddler's taste. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It’s all to do with crystal lettuce.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Unmusical would be hard clipping without any pleasing compression or harmonic distortion. So the opposite of that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Could it refer to there being more even-order than odd-order harmonics?
  • It means that if you wind it up and then open it, it plays a tinkly version of The Nutcracker Suite while a model ballerina rotates for your amazement and delight.
    Yep, if it's also a transparent overdrive, you should be able to see the mechanism turning.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  With drive pedals people are looking to hear certain frequencies (generally speaking mids)  pushed or boosted, and others (generally speaking bass and treble) cut or at least not boosted. 

A “musical” pedal, in my understanding at least, is one that does that in a way that aligns with what the player wants to hear, and ideally can be adjusted to whatever gear a player is using.

I recently picked up a Klon clone and I would describe the tone control on it as “musical” - it’s one knob, it boosts and cuts and it works well with a variety of pedals running into it, nearly always “improving” the sound to my ears at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think "musical" is a fruity word, more fruity than say "pleasant sounding" or "smooth". 

It's a bit like "nose" meaning "smell" in wine snobbery. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Unmusical would be hard clipping without any pleasing compression or harmonic distortion. So the opposite of that
    Does the sound coming out of said pedal cease to be music? Just feels like an arbitrary label people put on things that they presume everybody understands 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've seen heard/that but I'm not sure what they mean. Everything you could say to give it meaning (clarity, harmonically rich or whatever)you could have said in the first place. At least it's not 'organic' I guess. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Could it refer to there being more even-order than odd-order harmonics?
    You might be onto something there.  It wouldn't be quite that straightforward.  Using only even- numbered harmonics, you can generate a triangle wave an octave up from the fundamental frequency, or with different parameters you could get an asymmetric waveform. 

You raise a very good point, though.  It would reduce the waffle if manufacturers provided sample waveforms and frequency plots at a couple of different gain levels. A bit like they do for speakers. 

But that wouldn't be very rock and roll and we might just choose the pedals that look coolest anyway. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I must confess that when I've heard overdrives described as "musical" it doesn't conjure anything in my mind other than as another way of saying "Good"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's just hype that sounds like it means something but doesn't, like most hype.
  • ICBM said:
    I used to love her song "Don't it make my brown eyes blue" when I were a kid
  • This is the kind of marketing bullshit I hate that is said when selling stuff of this ilk 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited September 2023
    It means that it would work especially well if you were playing tunes from Showboat, Oklahoma, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, The Book of Mormon, Les Miserables. The King And I..... et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is the kind of marketing bullshit I hate that is said when selling stuff of this ilk 
    It’s also said by reviewers when they feel the need to trot up some fluff
    This is the kind of marketing bullshit I hate that is said when selling stuff of this ilk 
    It’s also said by reviewers when they feel the need to trot up some fluff
    And when they can't hear or feel the difference between this week's latest Musical Overdrive and last week's latest guitar that plays like butter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Julie Andrews Overdrive
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Needs a 'Liz Truss' setting.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    edited September 2023
    On a serious note, I think it's one of those 'fluff' words that we're all guilty of using as guitarists.

In my mind, it's like this: I have a few Marshalls here - one manages a reasonable facsimile of a cranked 2204 and sounds great to my ears. Musical, I guess. The other day I bought an MA100H head for dirt cheap as a platform for experiments. The drive channel is nasty (and not in a good way). Harsh, grating, generally unpleasant. That's not musical.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    randella said:
    ICBM said:
    Needs a 'Liz Truss' setting.

Wis'd. Whatever Cormac Battle used in Wilt.
  • randella said:
    On a serious note, I think it's one of those 'fluff' words that we're all guilty of using as guitarists.

In my mind, it's like this: I have a few Marshalls here - one manages a reasonable facsimile of a cranked 2204 and sounds great to my ears. Musical, I guess. The other day I bought an MA100H head for dirt cheap as a platform for experiments. The drive channel is nasty (and not in a good way). Harsh, grating, generally unpleasant. That's not musical.
    I do get this. I think all the words you used to describe the dirt channel there make sense, except I still don’t know if I’d say it makes it ‘not musical’ because almost any sound can be found a use for in some kind of musical context. Feels to me like people use it to mean ‘pleasant’ or ‘unpleasant’.