Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What songs/pieces/ techniques are you all working on this week? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What songs/pieces/ techniques are you all working on this week?

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66 said:
    Leo Brouwer Etude no. 5 - just started it, I'm working through them all in order. Enjoying it but no. 3's a bit of a nightmare. 
    I just listened to 1 - 20. Hats off to any player who can make it all the way through and play to performance standard. Yes, No 3 clearly does keep both hands very busy  :) 
    Hats off to anyone who can listen all the way through!

Although #6 gets a pass:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Leo Brouwer Etude no. 5 - just started it, I'm working through them all in order. Enjoying it but no. 3's a bit of a nightmare. 

Also learning some original songs on acoustic for recording later on in the year. Mostly fairly straightforward but just trying to get them all up to a good level.

I just listened to 1 - 20. Hats off to any player who can make it all the way through and play to performance standard. Yes, No 3 clearly does keep both hands very busy  :) 
    Yes I think part of the problem with 3 is it just sounds wrong when played slowly. I've got it to the stage where I can get through it, but still not as fast as it should be. I really like nos. 2 and 4, they are quite enjoyable to play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

I had no idea about this at all! How bizarre. Every day's a school day... 

Bit of a spoiler though, I've not got to that one yet! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettle said:Hats off to anyone who can listen all the way through!

Although #6 gets a pass:

6 was the only one of that collection that grabbed me.  Not played like that (Ozzy) though!

As for the OP question, I started looking at Tommy Emmanuel's Angelina.  Not sure I have the patience/time these days  to work it all out though.
  • @ Digitalkettle and Jimbro66
    Thanks, very kind
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

Oh no...I feel bad now...#6 is about as nice as an etude can be!

I recently dusted off my classical and started working on Antonio Lauro pieces...currently 'Works for Guitar Vol. 7' (so that's Nelly, Ana Florencia, and Petronila).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I'm mostly working on two things. One is a long-standing theme in F# dominant Phrygian, morphing into B mixolydian and back. I've been playing that for perhaps a couple of years but it's really come on lately and I'm finding interesting new things to do with it. 

The other is a new departure for me, a piece in Dm. Now I have always hated playing in F major (= D minor - same thing) and never seen any reason why I should employ that awkward key when there are plenty of other perfectly good keys to use. But this new thing in D minor, only a couple of months old so far, is really starting to take wing and I'm getting a bit excited about it. Little by little I'm discovering little tricks that work in that key and my life-long dislike for it is morphing into a newfound liking. Love? Much too early to say that. But there is a spark there.

• Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

I recently dusted off my classical and started working on Antonio Lauro pieces...currently 'Works for Guitar Vol. 7' (so that's Nelly, Ana Florencia, and Petronila).
    That's ok I was just joking. I had to look up Antonio Lauro but those are some nice pieces, I will listen to some more on YouTube. 
  • Jimbro66 said:

Although #6 gets a pass:

That's ok I was just joking. I had to look up Antonio Lauro but those are some nice pieces, I will listen to some more on YouTube. 
    Cool...here are a couple of highlights:

Vals Venezolano No. 3 'Natalia'

Suite Venezolana...which is just an incredible thing:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    As it happens I have also been learning an Etude - that one by the Beatles:

Etude, don't make it bad.
    Take a sad song and make it better ...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    As it happens I have also been learning an Etude - that one by the Beatles:

Etude, don't make it bad.
    Take a sad song and make it better ...
    Take a bad song and make a lesson
  • Thanks @digitalkettle, those are great. Maybe a bit advanced for me to play right now but I'll listen to some more of it, there might be something I can have a go at. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    "Splanky" - an old Count Basie Orchestra / Neal Hefti tune from 1958.

This isn't quite our arrangement, but this is the proper one

It's quite fun to play.
    when I was in my late teens I played in a 20 piece NYJO style jazz/youth big band - Neal Hefti arrangements were often a nightmare - 4 chord changes in a bar that were a challenge to learn and pull off - Then I was given a good lesson by an older experienced rhythm player

A) as a rhythm player you are there to play rhythm - therefore you are better keeping the time, swing and phrasing right and play 2 chords to the bar - do this well, as against 4 changes in the bar played badly - it is still rhythm

B )  quite often the simple chord in each bar would be say G7 - the other chords are variations of this and would be there to compliment what the horn section are playing, as such you phrase with them - What I did not realise at the time, as a teenager, is that the likes of Freddie Green only play a simple format of the chord - Root/7th etc - Hence more simple, but more effective as he helped to make the song swing 

Count Basie was one of my dad's favourite artist - He saw him live twice in the 50's - So I was brought up listening to so much of such bands - Then in the late 70's and early 80's my dad and friend ran a Big band in the Derby area, playing weekly for many years at a local pub and I would go most weeks to watch them play - So recall many of such songs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm trying to come up with a half decent guitar accompaniment for a traditional song called The Coast of Peru.
  • Deep Purple - Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Well, for a more low-ball bid:
    RSL grade 3 (almost there - sweating it out in hope of  a Distinction)
    Wake Me Up When September Ends (corny, but...)
    Take the A Train

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Working on Smoke on the water ....it's tough going ......into my 4th year with this one
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    I'm meant to be prepping Grade 4 pieces but I don't like any of the B selection, so a Beethoven Kontretanz. It's easy until you try to do it full speed. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    edited September 2023
    This last week or so I finished and submitted an entry to the Solo of the Month on the Making Music page. I don't do it every month, but when I do I find it great practice in writing, playing and recording.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254427/voting-for-solo-of-the-month-sotm-98#latest ;

Totally recommend it to everyone to go and have a bash at it - its great fun

<<Disclaimer: I don't properly understand all the terms im using below so might have got the a bit/a lot wrong!!>>

Otherwise I'm focussing on memorising the pairs of strings 3-notes per string shapes and ascending diatonically through the shapes.

I'm doing it as extra legato practice and focussing on the first finger of my fretting hand damping of the string above every time, and will reintroduce the click when I think I've got that damping back on track.

The next stuff I need to do is learn the songs for the Western Jam coming up in only a week and a half open_mouth 
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    Our band has 2 gigs in Oct which are a bit different - rather than the usual covers set we`re doing 1 hr 30 mins or Queen - so I`m upto my elbows in that............

We`re def not a Queen tribute, just playing music we like, trying to capture it rather than pretending to be Queen if that makes sense. But it`s still quite a job to work out what`s on the studio versions, what Queen did live and then work out how to approach it.

Hard work, but fun! :-) 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Dominic said:
    Working on Smoke on the water ....it's tough going ......into my 4th year with this one
    Once I really get the hang of it I'm going to attempt to play it in a different key ......a rocker's work is never done !
  • on electric, I'm working with the Stormy Monday chord changes and learning to hit the tones in every chord as they pass rather than just rambling.
    On acoustic, Beaswing by Richard Thompson because someone I know requested it and its fun.

Matt

• Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    Once I really get the hang of it I'm going to attempt to play it in a different key ......a rocker's work is never done !
    Or you could...

• joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    Currently digging thro On Green Dolphin Street.  Chords and melody in 12 keys - soloing ideas and transcribing versions by Grant Green and Barney Kessel.  
    It’s a great tune to dig into as there is good harmonic and rhythmic variation to dig into.  Then I’ll try and come up with a solo jazz guitar part - which will suck but it’s useful practice 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    newi123 said:
    Our band has 2 gigs in Oct which are a bit different - rather than the usual covers set we`re doing 1 hr 30 mins or Queen - so I`m upto my elbows in that............

We`re def not a Queen tribute, just playing music we like, trying to capture it rather than pretending to be Queen if that makes sense. But it`s still quite a job to work out what`s on the studio versions, what Queen did live and then work out how to approach it.

Hard work, but fun! :-) 
    I'd pay to see a Queen tribute band! (that played material from the earlier years).
  • I’ve been looking at an old Van Halen song “I’m the one “ … to say this riff  is  difficult to pull off is an understatement. No one on YT seems to able to do it. Some of the supposed lessons are frankly laughable .. just miles away from the swing and groove in VH’s playing. 

Possibly the hardest VH song to do I reckon so I may be at this for some time. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    Jess Fildes has done an ok version

Well done you for tackling it, deffo one of the best VH songs. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    Not working on any particular song. I am working on my whole playing technique. Being self taught i have plenty of stuff to revisit. I tire far too quickly,i grip too tightly,my speed is limited . The culprit  imo is my Thumb on my fretting hand. I need to sort that out and so thats what im doing. I have basically become lazy and sloppy with my technique. 
  • I am enjoying playing bits from Winner Takes it All and SOS by Abba and Roxanne by The Police. Inspired by Rick Beato's interview with Dominic Miller,Sting's long time guitarist and his fantastic K Yairi parlour guitar. The fact he has a parlour guitar and I have one at a fraction of the cost of his,are where the similarities end.
  • JAYJO said:
    Not working on any particular song. I am working on my whole playing technique. Being self taught i have plenty of stuff to revisit. I tire far too quickly,i grip too tightly,my speed is limited . The culprit  imo is my Thumb on my fretting hand. I need to sort that out and so thats what im doing. I have basically become lazy and sloppy with my technique. 
    Years ago my teacher introduced me to the concept of only using the bare minimum of pressure. Try touching the string and striking it with the pick or finger, so that you get a muted percussive stroke. Then gradually, gradually turn up the pressure until a buzzy note appears. Then you're almost there - just a tiny bit more and that's it. Any more and you're wasting your energy and potentially ruining your intonation (depending on string gauge and fret height). 

As for speed - the paradox is: you have to practice slowly. My theory is that speed comes when something is moved from the processing part of your brain into the memory part. Then repetition wraps the neural pathways in myelin, so you can access the movement without thinking.