Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rickenbacker 660 owners? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rickenbacker 660 owners?

What's Hot
I’m very new to the world of Ricky’s. Am considering a 660 so would be great to hear opinions (good or bad) from owners or players?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I used to have a 660/12. The neck was perfect on a 12-string, although I would have found it too wide on a 6 - but if that’s the reason you’re buying one, then it will be fine. It’s a lot wider than the standard Rick neck.

I also found the bridge pickup too thin-sounding - I replaced it with one of the older 12K Toasters and the ‘vintage’ cap in series, which was perfect. The 12-string is slightly headstock-heavy on a strap, but I think the 6 should be well balanced.

I sold it because I didn’t really want that much money tied up in a guitar I used about twice a year, but I do miss it sometimes. I found it a little ‘not quite enough Rickenbacker’ compared to the hollow models, but again if you’re coming to it fresh I think you’ll like it.

If I ever have another Rick it’s likely to be a 360/12 though…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The 360 sure is pretty, but there’s something about the 660 that calls me. Does anyone make decent Rick pickups? How wide is the neck compared to say Fender or Gibson?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The 360 sure is pretty, but there’s something about the 660 that calls me. Does anyone make decent Rick pickups? How wide is the neck compared to say Fender or Gibson?
    The 660 neck is wider than standard Fender/Gibson - I forget the actual measurement but I think it’s on the Rick website.

You’ll probably laugh, but there’s a company called Dae Hung SeiQ in Korea which makes excellent Rick-alike toaster pickups - except that they’re actually humbucking! So you get that advantage too. And they’re astoundingly cheap - about £20 each. They can be hard to get though, RIC’s lawyers take a dim view so they aren’t normally available, although if you search for ‘toaster’ or ‘330/360’ pickups, you can sometimes find them. I had a pair in my old 450 and I’ve still got one in the neck of my 4001 bass - they sound just like Rick pickups, except don’t hum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    IMO the 660 in fireglo is the best looking guitar ever made.