Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Desire to shrink pedalboard - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Desire to shrink pedalboard

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 263
I've been having a think about my pedalboard and, having sold my volume pedal I realise I could get away with a smaller board.

The pedals I currently have are:

Polytune, Magnetic Effects fuzz, Nobels ODR1, Emma Onomatopoeia, Thorpy Gunshot, Walrus Audio Julia, Source Audio Vertigo, Boss DD500, Neunaber Wet (for sale and wanting to replace), EHX Looper. 
These are housed on a Palmer Pedalbay 60. I really like the pedalboard and it fits over a microphone stand feet nicely but I'm really thinking about downsizing my pedals.

Essentials are reverb and delay and tremolo. I love the Julia but in all honesty I never really use it. I could probably get away with two OD pedals as I never use one as an always-on pedal. 

So, how could I best downsize/change pedals to give me what I want with minimal space? (I don't want to do away with them all and replace with a single multi-fx pedal)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Swap Polytune for Mini version
    • Ditch Fuzz. Fuzz is awful 90% of the time
    • Pick 2 of the drives and/or switch to something dual like a Dane or Revival Drive
    • Lose the Julia (as noted)
    • Get a smaller delay
    • Get a smaller looper? Obv may or not be possible depending on which EHX you have and how you use it 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    • Swap Polytune for Mini version
    • Ditch Fuzz. Fuzz is awful 90% of the time
    • Pick 2 of the drives and/or switch to something dual like a Dane or Revival Drive
    • Lose the Julia (as noted)
    • Get a smaller delay
    • Get a smaller looper? Obv may or not be possible depending on which EHX you have and how you use it 
    I actually really like fuzz. I tend to have it on full and then turn the volume on my guitar down to clean up and pick an amount of fuzz. 

I see players like Ariel Posen, Joey Landreth etc who probably have massive pedalbards at times, but often gig with smaller ones and just think, why do I need such an array of pedals when I don't really need them.

No doubt I'll sell and reduce then in a year or so want to expand! :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I was being slightly facetious with the fuzz thing. 

But I'm a big fan of small boards. I use a Nano and Nano+ for guitar & bass and swap them around depending on the setlist any given gig. I def don't want bigger than those as they're super easy to carry, and I'd rather focus on the performance than the minutiae of pedal tones mid-song. Obviously that's dependent on the material, but it's a good target to aim for imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    90 degree cycle then put on a hot radiator. 
    Always works.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gassage said:
    Always works.
    I tried the tumble dryer but it was too noisy!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wondering about whether to sell the tremolo and buy a Flint to cover both basis. Having a favourite switch would give me a preset for reverb too for more ambient stuff
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Gassage said:
    Always works.
    I tried the tumble dryer but it was too noisy!
    Buffer...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wondering about whether to sell the tremolo and buy a Flint to cover both basis. Having a favourite switch would give me a preset for reverb too for more ambient stuff
    Knowing that you enjoy the WET, the Flint would be a great reverb for you, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Keeley Hydra and a Keeley Eccos would cover Reverb, Delay, Tremolo and a Looper and wouldn’t take up much space at all! 
  • louis_LLM said:
    Keeley Hydra and a Keeley Eccos would cover Reverb, Delay, Tremolo and a Looper and wouldn’t take up much space at all! 
    How does the Hyrda compare to the Flint?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Is the objective here to have a physically smaller board, or is it to have fewer options so that you focus on using what you’ve got more effectively?

If it’s physical space then get a multi-FX, or get a switcher and put the pedal board on top of your amp. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Is the objective here to have a physically smaller board, or is it to have fewer options so that you focus on using what you’ve got more effectively?

If it’s physical space then get a multi-FX, or get a switcher and put the pedal board on top of your amp. 
    A bit of both to be honest. I have space on my board so that got me thinking about getting a smaller actual board. But as well as that, it's thinking about that I actually need.
    I have 3 ODs (plus fuzz) and don't really utilise them all - wondering if a dual pedal might be an option and sell what I have. The Julia is lovely but doesn't get used etc. I think I just am realising that I don't play electric too often live and am I best just focussing on the main core of my sound rather than making things more complicated
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    You can sell me the Julia for a start. :0)
  • Lebarque said:
    You can sell me the Julia for a start. :0)
    It's listed on here
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254480/fs-walrus-audio-julia-v2-platinum-edition#latest
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Is the pedalboard for live use or home/recording?
  • Cols said:
    Home playing and then playing at church
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Cols said:
    In that case - though it pains me to say it - you probably don’t need all those overdrives.  Strip it down to one or at most two if you need a second to kick in for a solo.

I would go through each of them one by one and ask the question “what do I currently use this for?”  And if the answer is “nothing really, but it’s a lovely pedal” then off it comes.  You can always swap it back in at home.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    louis_LLM said:
    Keeley Hydra and a Keeley Eccos would cover Reverb, Delay, Tremolo and a Looper and wouldn’t take up much space at all! 
    How does the Hyrda compare to the Flint?
    Better. It has presets. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    If it was me I'd keep the big board and have a small board with a twin channel overdrive and a delay/reverb. I depped at church recently with a double rock and a red panda reverb. Didn't bother with a board.

You don't need fuzz for that application and I own 4 with 1 on the way. 
  • slacker said:
    If it was me I'd keep the big board and have a small board with a twin channel overdrive and a delay/reverb. I depped at church recently with a double rock and a red panda reverb. Didn't bother with a board.

You don't need fuzz for that application and I own 4 with 1 on the way. 
    If cash wasn't an issue I'd do that and buy pedals for another board but can't justify that sadly - childcare costs etc to pay for!

Suprisingly I do use fuzz at church quite a bit - volume rolled off to clean up but I find it really versatile. I think at least one drive needs to go.
  • Cols said:
    Cols said:
    In that case - though it pains me to say it - you probably don’t need all those overdrives.  Strip it down to one or at most two if you need a second to kick in for a solo.

I would go through each of them one by one and ask the question “what do I currently use this for?”  And if the answer is “nothing really, but it’s a lovely pedal” then off it comes.  You can always swap it back in at home.
    Yeah this. To be fair it's also the way you end up with a shitload of lovely pedals at home a shelf. But also a small efficient pedalboard and it’s absolutely the way to go imo 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Yeah this. To be fair it's also the way you end up with a shitload of lovely pedals at home a shelf. But also a small efficient pedalboard and it’s absolutely the way to go imo 

Woah I'd be happy with the chase bliss and volante.
  • Yeah, the CB is amazing, but too complex for a small pedalboard. Likewise the Volante is a stunningly great delay (and actually usually sits on my desk at home for practice) but I don't need delay for the band, so it doesn't go on a board
    Yeah, the CB is amazing, but too complex for a small pedalboard. Likewise the Volante is a stunningly great delay (and actually usually sits on my desk at home for practice) but I don't need delay for the band, so it doesn't go on a board
    I tend to run multiple boards and loose pedals so each application is served. Main board has odd fuzz reverb etc for the dad rock covers band. Overkill board has a gigrig klon and dmm. 
    Yeah, the CB is amazing, but too complex for a small pedalboard. Likewise the Volante is a stunningly great delay (and actually usually sits on my desk at home for practice) but I don't need delay for the band, so it doesn't go on a board
    I tend to run multiple boards and loose pedals so each application is served. Main board has odd fuzz reverb etc for the dad rock covers band. Overkill board has a gigrig k pedal and echo. Backup board has overdrive etc. Home set up is a reverb and a space for overdrive du jour.

Also got filters pitch shifters trem etc.

Mainly use dirt and reverb. If the backline has reverb I'll take a battery powered od.

I love pedals but the beauty of them is you can take what you want.

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    slacker said:
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Woah I'd be happy with the chase bliss and volante.
    Everyone should have a shelf of lovely boutique pedals at home.