Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). AC vs DC pedal power cables - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

AC vs DC pedal power cables

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 545
Hi there,

I've got a T-Rex Fuel Tank Goliath (no less) and it comes with a set of connector cables. Some of these are labelled for AC use, but as far as I can tell they are the same type of cables as the DC ones. 

Is there any chance that the internals of these cables are different to the normal DC ones? I think not, but would be great if the collective brain could give me a steer.

Would be handy if I could use them for my DC pedals (obviously with a DC supply).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I can't think why they'd be different.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The only issue would be if they're also designed as intentional polarity-reversal cables - that would be fine with AC, but not DC unless you do need it reversed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    The only issue would be if they're also designed as intentional polarity-reversal cables - that would be fine with AC, but not DC unless you do need it reversed.
    This, or I guess they might actually have fractionally different but similar-looking plugs?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    I'll stick the multimeter on them to check for reverse polarity.

My thought was maybe something about shielding. Doesn't AC like to be twisted to reduce noise?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    ICBM said:
    Good point. 

It'd be really, really stupid to do that, but it's pretty stupid to have positive she'll on the 9v DC connectors... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sporky said:

It'd be really, really stupid to do that, but it's pretty stupid to have positive she'll on the 9v DC connectors... 
    It doesn't make any difference - the supply impedance is so low that even having the positive on the outside acts as a very good shield.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I suspect that they are 2.5mm plugs instead of the usual 2.1mm plugs. The old Line6 four-knob modellers like the DL4 used a 2.5mm plug with the 9Vac supply to avoid it accidentally being plugged into a normal dc pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    You are right, they are 2.5mm plugs.