Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who actually uses their tone control? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who actually uses their tone control?

What's Hot
In real life and certainly at gigs I never touch the tone controls on my guitar, I only use the volume. I may when noodling play with the tone but 99% of the time they are on 10
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    On my fenders (strat and tele) I mess with the tone quite a bit, Gibbos not so much
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    All the time. I blend vol / tone / pickup to get the source sound right before messing with other sound shaping options downstream.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I do. Lots.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Quite a bit but a) it took me some time to come around to the realisation that it can actually be useful and b) not all tone circuits are equal - some guitars have weird tapers and/or just eff up the tone somehow, so it’s more useful on some guitars than others. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    with a Les Paul Jr it is obligatory!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited September 2023
    Never used it. Always at 10, except when I had a Jazzmaster and needed to cut the shrillness, but I would imagine with a Jr style guitar, maybe it would be useful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Depends on the guitar, but I rarely use the bridge pickup on a Tele without a bit of tone wound off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I, too, use them all the time.
  • I do, plus I have an EQ pedal as well.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited September 2023
    Main use is to take the edge off a bridge pickup when I’ve set the amp up for the neck pickup. On a strat with the second tone moved to the bridge pickup that’s set and forget, but on a guitar with a master tone you need to adjust when you change pickup
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I don't use it in real life, since I don't gig or record or play guitar in the presence of any humans.  But yes, I do like the tone control - I love the sound of a neck humbucker with distortion and the tone on 0, which probably isn't usable in the real world.
  • Wire in a different cap, or wire between pots.Then there is the pot. Is it linear or variant of an audio pot. Gets a lots of options and worth finding few for each combination rather than just flicking the switch between pickups.
  • Loads. Lots of folks always tell me rig is too bright when they play through it, probably because they just out everything on 10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited September 2023
    Depends on the amp. A lot of venues want you to use their ten year old Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with teeth clanging highs. So in those scenarios I’m usually turning the tone down to counteract the sound guys vision.
  • In a les paul with vintage wiring there're so many tonal options by fiddling with all the tone/volume combinations, especially in the middle pos. In single coil guitars, I don't use it much.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I thought I am one of those who put everything on max until I got a PRS SE One where it only has the volume knob, then I realised I miss the tone knob a lot.  It changes the sound so much, it's so useful. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    I'm old school and always use volume and tone control roll off. I hated that on my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro it had a rotary tone selector but no tone control.  So I had it modified with the rotary replaced with a push pull tone control. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Depends on the guitar type.

Strat - hardly ever.
    Tele - sometimes.
    Gibsons - neck always full up, bridge usually around 5.
    Gretsch - rarely.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Quite a bit but it won't be the same on all guitars - a) the pot taper varies and b) depends on the 'natural' voice of the guitar and pick-ups in question as to how much I might need to roll off - But tends to be more subtle

I use the vol pot far more - whilst it does have an impact on the guitars tone, I tend to use it more to adjust the level of gain on the amp/pedal - Think it was EVH who said the vol pot is the tone pot
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Not so much on a Tele but definitely on my 335.  I tend to live on the neck pickup, vol and tone both around 7/10.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    I thought I am one of those who put everything on max until I got a PRS SE One where it only has the volume knob, then I realised I miss the tone knob a lot.  It changes the sound so much, it's so useful. 
    I modified my SE One by extending the control cavity towards the neck sufficiently to accommodate a second pot. My tone pot is where the volume used to be. My volume pot is more or less in line with the pickup. This puts them slightly closer together than I consider ideal. (Think: Gordon-Smith GS-1.) If I could find a suitable replacement pickguard, I would shift the tone pot further away, towards the corner of the 'guard.
    Be seeing you.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I use them all the time. My guitars and amp are set bright. The tone then sits at 50%, giving me plenty of scope for adjustment either way. Running bright also means that I can cut through the mix without being too loud.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    Both controls, all the time. Tone control is invaluable if you have to play/borrow an amp that's a bit toppy. 
  • Yes i do, depending on the guitar. Normally as a quick fix if it's sounding too spiky. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    My Palir Titan C4 is a Cabronita style guitar and has just a volume control. I always thought I’d miss a tone control but the tone of the Portertron pickups is so well sorted that you just don’t need it.
  • All the time, depending on the part of the song or sound I want to get.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Always on 10 with humbuckers, I use it a lot more on singlecoils/P90s to reduce the twang as the gain goes up.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    I know he’s not everyone’s favourite on here but Joe Bonamassa has some good YouTube videos showing how he gets different sounds using tone controls,
    Does help to be Joe Bonamassa though, I suppose  :s

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I modified my SE One by extending the control cavity towards the neck sufficiently to accommodate a second pot. My tone pot is where the volume used to be. My volume pot is more or less in line with the pickup. This puts them slightly closer together than I consider ideal. (Think: Gordon-Smith GS-1.) If I could find a suitable replacement pickguard, I would shift the tone pot further away, towards the corner of the 'guard.
    I don't think it needs routing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter