Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). FS: (On Hold) Chris Eccleshall Extremely Rare 335 Style Guitar - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

FS: (On Hold) Chris Eccleshall Extremely Rare 335 Style Guitar

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 127
edited October 2023 in Guitars £
I have decided to sell my Chris Eccleshall 335 type guitar, due to certain personal reasons, so am putting details of the guitar and some photos, aplogise not great ones, to see what interest there is, but will be very sorry to see it go.  

An old friend of mine purchased this in 1992 from PMT when they first opened. I originally tried it back in the 90's and wanted to buy it off him then, but he wasn't selling, so when sometime ago he asked me if I was interested in buying it as he hadn't used it for quite a long time along with quite a few other great guitars he had, so was having a sell up to thin out the herd! So I couldn't resist.

He told me he had previously spoken to Chris Eccleshall about the guitar and wished now, he had asked him to send an email confirming everything, as now it was too late with his sad parsture to life beyond. Chris told him quite a bit about the guitar and, as he recalled to me, that Chris remembered it well and that it was a really lovely guitar and was built for a jazz guitarist in the early 80's who wanted certain requirements including having gibson pickups fitted and a solid maple top, which does tie up with my findings since purchasing the guitar. He also advised that whilst it was well used as obviously played reguarly, that the only work he had done since buying it back in 1992 was having it refreted as the frets were quite worn, so had it refreted by Steve Smith, who I personally knew very well as he was a good friend and a well known lufier and quality builder in Essex and who also built me the most amazing Telecaster, which I would never part with, but who also has sadly departed. The other known work was that the neck had been resprayed, but had been done very sympatheticaly, as some of the wood near the neck join was well worn obviously with use, but it just looks like used clear lacquer from there up to the nut end, so you still see the worness underneath and also just up to the nut end so the serial number etc hasn't been touched, but the neck is now once again lovely to glide up and down on with ease. He also told me when he bought it, there was no case with it so he bought a proper fitted Hiscox case.

In my many many years of playing I have never ever, played a 335 type guitar, apart from an old stereo 60's 345 that someone had and they let me try, that plays and sounds so good, it is truely stunning and I have had/tried quite a few in the past including an early 70's Cherry Red Gibson which I bought new, plus various other s/h Gibsons,Tokais etc over the years, also including a supposed Tokai that belonged to a Mr Peter Green. Though I think the sound of this Eccleshall comes from the solid maple top Chris must have sourced at the time, combined with the Gibson pickups, which appear to be an absolute perfect match.

When I bought the guitar, I had a full set up and also asked, whilst he did this, would he have a look to see if this was a solid top, which he confirmed and also at the underside of both pickups  and take pictures of both so I could see what Gibson pickups they were. To my amazment they were early original Tim Shaw PAF Gibson's both made in 1980 and both neck pickups (Ink Stamped 137/12/80, which you can see on the photos) Which maybe also be why it gives the guitar such a great sound being both neck pickups! Whilst they are Gibson pickups, which concour with the original owner specifing he wanted Gibson pickups, these may not be the originals that came with the guitar, as when the tech took the pickups out to have a look he saw that both leads to the pickups had been cut and joined, which he said could have been be a fault to do with the wiring or something or the pickups were changed at a later stage. Either way these Tim Shaw Gibson totally suit this guitar and give it this great unique sound and would have been far superior to a normal 80's gibson pick up at the time.

I did quite a bit of research and actually managed to get in contact with Chris's son earlier this year and also the person who assisted Chris, who now has the remaining records of building his guitars etc, which he advised were in a complete mess but managed to get the ones he had in some sense of order, to find out as much as I could about the guitar.
The details they provided pretty much matched up with the above provided when I bought. As the serial number F 400 on the back of the headstock was the 400 hundreth guitar he had made as was built in 1982 in Ealing London and was a Custom 335 style made for a John Ward. Also according to his assistant, Chris mainly used laminated tops, unless requested otherwise, which he had a stock of and this was a solid maple, plus he also advised that he mostly used Kent Armstrong Sky Pickups at the time. So this was definately a Custom one off for the customer per his requirements, as shown on the inner lable in the F hole. His son also advised me, he had never actually seen a Guitar 335 Style before built by Chris, only a bass, so was quite rare.

As advised this is a very early 335 style guitar made by Chris in 1982, and the quality is second to none, with the two Tim Shaw 80's designed PAF pickups being alone worth £800 plus. This is a players guitar and was obviously well used by the original owner and whoever after, before my friend purchased it ten year's later, but it is, if you have tried many 335 types, probably the best playing and sounding one you will have have heard. It just sings with none of that woolly sort of muffled sound you often hear on the neck pickup.  I am looking for around £2,500 which considering it's rareity and that one of his bass 335 shapes sold for £6,800 in 2021 at auction, that is a very fair price. This is a one off C.E. original 335 type guitar and I doubt you will ever see another one.

I won't ship so please don't ask, as it needs to be played and tried and can almost 99% guarantee whoever comes and tries it won't go away empty handed.

I am more than happy to answer any questions etc to anyone genuinely interested, but please no Time Wasters, as I really don't have the time, as have other issues at hand to currently tend with! Thank you

Photos to be posted shortly

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SammySammy Frets: 127
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 389
    I had an eccleshall firebird one off I sold back to his family in the end as they were slowly trying to buy back some of what he made.

Was listed here along with a bit of a back story. I think Sharkey335 of this forum helped Chris out, bought some of his equipment and has his original records. 

Nice guitar ! Glwts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    MikeC said:
    I had an eccleshall firebird one off I sold back to his family in the end as they were slowly trying to buy back some of what he made.

Was listed here along with a bit of a back story. I think Sharkey335 of this forum helped Chris out, bought some of his equipment and has his original records. 

Nice guitar ! Glwts. 

Yes it appears you are correct as it appears to be the same person I got in contact with and he did live in Jersey and took some of Chris's equipment and his records, but as advised to me they were in a complete mess so he tried to get them as much as possible in some sense of order, as much as he could. 

It is an absolutely fanstastic 335 guitar and and IMO you would be hard pushed to find one with a better sound and playability, but it needs to be tried, as every person has their own idea of how they think a certain guitar should sound and play! Plus it shouldn't be confused with his latter guitars, as per the website still available to view, as I was advised, a lot of the bodies and necks were bought in and shaped/built etc by Chris, unless specified, and not made from scratch as per the early models such as my 335 style guitar, which were made to order. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry to those that asked no p/ex's at this time.
    I forgot to include in my post how well know Chris Eccleshall was and respected for his guitar work was and who he made guitars and did repiar work for.

Firstly he was the Authorised Repairer of: C.F. Martin & Co., Gibson & Guild, which many are not aware of, as Martin & Gibson, being two of the largest & prestigous guitar mfts, do not give their authorisation out lightly!

Secondly over the years his customers have included Pete Townshend, Dave Davies, David Bowie, Rory Gallagher, Paul Weller, Davey Arthur (Fureys), Sweet, The Cure, The Levellers, New Order, The Alarm, This Picture, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Richard Stilgoe, Steven Woodcock, Richard Digance, and if you include repairs, modifications & setups etc the list is much longer including Bunnymen's vintage Gibsons and Eric Clapton's Blackieto name a couple.
    With Rory Gallagher only using Chris for all his guitar issues and no one else.

This 335 guitar is no exception in his work and whilst this is not a mint Chris Eccleshall guitar, it is still in great condition considering it has been used for what it was intended for to be played since 1982, with a lovely flame maple top with mainly the wear on the neck with use and the back with buckles etc rubbing/marking and it sounds and and plays superb.

As previously advised it has to be played to be appreciated and I can honestly say sound wise, along with my Custom made Tele by the same person, Steve Smith, who I was told did the refret on this, are two of the best Electric Guitars I have ever owned and thats over 50 years. 

So as I have said in my post if you are genuinely interested just come and try it no obligation, this blows most Gibson 335's out of the water and was made by hand, not machine made and put together! Shows just how good Chris was when Gibson made him an authorised repairer of their guitars!

Have had interest from parties who are too far away, especially one enquiry from someone on here, who now lives in Australia and knew Chris and the quality of his work, when C.E. moved his business to Devon. So currently, would have to ship it, which I have never done previously with any of my guitar &/or amps, as am not at all keen to do, for fear of damage or being stolen, or should I say lost!

I was also advised to put it up for auction, with a reserve price, as being a very rare guitar of C.E.'s and also an early model would attract a lot more attention than just putting on this site, of people who knew Chris and the well known names he did work and built guitars for. Then I believe any shipping etc would be down to the buyer & auction house, or maybe I'm wrong on that point?

Whilst I have considered that, my own preference would be to sell to someone, like the person from Australia, who will actually play and appreciate this guitar and not just be another someones collector's item put away somewhere. Plus I am positive it will only go up in value anyway, over the years being a Custom one off, similar to other well known, quality small guitar builders, who have gone to pastures new, as their quitars built become even scarcer!

So at present, I would much prefer someone who is able to come over and try it out for themselves who is seriously looking for a 335 style guitar, plus free tea or coffee, with no obligations, but a free cake if you buy it! :)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Wow a solid top. I bet that's lovely
    edited October 2023
    roberty said:
    Wow a solid top. I bet that's lovely

Certainly is, lovely solid flamed maple. I also think that contributes quite a bit to the guitars great sound. Most semis are laminated tops and are easier to build as they just come off the factory shelf ready made, so also obviously a lot cheaper to produce! Though that's not saying laminated tops are inferior, as many have a really good sound and suit the actual guitar being madem, but IMO you can't beat a good solid top that has been source by the lufier to get the best sound, the same as with acoustic guitars.
    edited October 2023
    Only offers to post so far, from up North & Afar! 

Surely someone in South must be interested and would like to come and try it! 
     Plus only next doors cat may be viewing at same time, so no pressure.

• PM'ed you Sir
    On Hold.