Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Floyd Rose tuning - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Floyd Rose tuning

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Floyd rose users:

When tuning Yr strings with the pegs before locking the nuts and using the fine tuners, how accurate do you aim to get the strings?

0 cents out
Within 5 cents either way
Even more vaguely in tune

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Pretty accurate, with the strings fully stretched and the fine tuners all centred in their range - otherwise you may end up running out of travel. Sometimes, you need to set them a little below (ie sharper) than centred because locking the clamps can pull the strings slightly sharp* and you then need to tune down a bit with the fine-tuners.

(*If there's a tension bar behind the nut, this needs to be set low enough that the strings are held down onto the surface of the nut over the full width, which minimises this.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ^ pretty much exactly what @ICBM  said :+1: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Centre the fine tuners - tune slightly flat, then lock the clamps and tune up to pitch with the fine tuners - which is pretty much what ICBM said above.

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I use a cloth to really bend each string in all the way along its length by pulling it . I repeat this until a normal good bend has no detuning effect . I have the fine tuners set a bit more than midway . Then I lock it down. I have mine dive only though so it’s easy to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tune to exact pitch, with micro tuners half way out or in. Stretch and play for about 5 mins then clamp, leave overnight, retune, swear and repeat.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So tune to exact pitch, 0 cents out.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Thee fitty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So tune to exact pitch, 0 cents out.
    I do or as close as I tune any guitar. You will, having clamped and unclamped your strings a few times, work out if the clamping process actually affects the tuning on your guitar and compensate accordingly
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk