Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Diezel cab problem - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Diezel cab problem

What's Hot
sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 638
edited September 2023 in Amps
Quick question, I have a diezel d moll and run it through my diezel 2x12 and I have a problem with distortion, not amp distortion but almost like the cab can’t handle it. How ever when I play through my mills, it’s so much clearer and seems to handle the higher gain much better.

possible problem with the cab?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Possible. What speakers are in it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • V30

its almost like when you turn stuff up to loud on a hidi it starts to distort 
    Those will be close to their power limit with a 100W amp, but they're usually fine - if anything they're one of the speakers that likes being hammered.

Are you tuning down or using an octaver or anything? Can you tell if the problem is localised to one speaker? (I appreciate that may be hard to tell with the amp up loud!)

It could also possibly be a bad resonance in the cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Could be a speaker is blown, in which case the load the amp is wrong and the power output will be less.

Or you are running too much bass for the cab as it is probably quite resonant already, you can prove that by turning down the bass
  • Still has the issue with lower bass. How would I check the speaker?

How would I check the speaker?
    Do both speakers sound the same when you listen very close up against the grille? You don't need the amp up loud for that.

If there's nothing obvious, you will have to open up the cab and test them individually - this may mean unsoldering one of them if they're wired in parallel and they don't use push-connectors. What impedance is the cab?

• Is all the hardware tight? Back panel and speakers? Might not be what you're hearing, but worth a quick spanner check as slightly loose hardware could cause vibrations and/or could change the resonant properties of the cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MARVlN said:
    Is all the hardware tight? Back panel and speakers? Might not be what you're hearing, but worth a quick spanner check as slightly loose hardware could cause vibrations and/or could change the resonant properties of the cab.
    I am going to check that tomorrow. It’s coming from both speakers, so I am kind of thinking it’s a cab characteristic 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Did you buy the cab new?

If second hand I would check what speakers are actually fitted and the actual internal impedance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter