Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Worth getting a cheap suspension fork for MTB? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Worth getting a cheap suspension fork for MTB?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I'm a month into doing a hilly 20km round trip to work and back these days, and rather enjoying it (whilst the weather is OK!). I didn't want to use my best bike (an old Kona Kula Deluxe) as I lock up for an hour and a half of gym and swim on the way to work, so I dug out the remains of my very first ever MTB - an old Raleigh Tigershark. I considered scrapping it a few years ago as the gear changers had bust, but I'm glad I didn't.

So, I've been getting into riding it and gradually upgrading to better saddle, handlebars, other bits & pieces, put a good set of wheels on, and It's a good ride, but, it has no front suspension so it's a bit jarring at times. 

I'm wondering about getting some cheap suspension forks, secondhand off of eBay. I don't plan on spending much, but will cheap ones just be a waste of time?

I also have no clue about the right sort or how to fit them, so I would have to look into it a fair bit. All I know so far is that I have 26" wheels and v-brakes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    It's a good job WP (White Power) only make motorbike suspension, otherwise you could have found yourself on the receiving end of a 'WTF' thread  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Headset sizes have increased over the years so you’ll need to know what size your frame has, suspect that will limit what’s viable to fit your frame. Old forks used elastomers for spring and damping so we’re pretty reliable, more recently it’s moved to air pressure (so seals might be an issue with older air forks).

The other option is to go for wider more flexible handlebars, but again bars have got larger in diameter, so your existing stem might limit what’s available.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I wouldn't bother with suspension forks especially just for a commute. I'd maybe consider tyre width and pressure. No need for the tyre to be rock hard.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • came here to say this ^. cheap forks will be a massive weight penalty
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cheap shocks invariably have cheap bearings and flap about when more than five mniutes old (often from new).

That said - it really makes for an entertaining commute!
  • Do not bother with suspension... Will add a ton of weight and almost no benefit, even if you can find something to fit.
  • Won't puttinh suspension forks on an MTB not designed for them raise the front end up massively? Why not trawl eBay for a flexstem, that's a blast from the past ;-)
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Won't puttinh suspension forks on an MTB not designed for them raise the front end up massively? Why not trawl eBay for a flexstem, that's a blast from the past ;-)
    Flexstem was scary…… downhill braking, loaded up the stem and it dived even lower as you struggled to not go over the bars…. Happy days!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1