Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Experiential advice needed on Lowden F25 vs F35 vs F50 Sonic differences? - Gear Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Experiential advice needed on Lowden F25 vs F35 vs F50 Sonic differences?

What's Hot
BraddersBradders Frets: 7
edited September 2023 in Gear Reviews
I hope this is the right place to post this. If not please do tell me.

I need advice from anyone who has tried the afformentioned guitars.

I am currently interested in a Lowden F35RT (richard tthompson) model which has a cedar/ziricote combo in the F size body. I have looked at the F25 cedar/rosewood and the I have listened to some F50 which is more redwood/rosewood type combos. I knwo there are tonal differences with the woods, specifically redwood vs cedar as a top wood. Personally I cant hear a massive difference between ziricote/eir/madagascar rosewood.

What I really want to know is if anyone has had experience with the above guitars and can tell me if there is a big difference in tonal quality and playability between the models or is it mostly the aesthetic?
 I can pick up and F25 for nearly half the price of the F35RT. I wonder if the signature models just cost more because they are signature models and the 35/50 series just cost more because of more detailing and exotic wood options.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• It’s just different spec levels. You won’t find a badly built Lowden or one with average woods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have an 010 currently which sounds wonderful, I can't put it down! I am going to try out an F23 and F25 as I am curious about the difference between the woods in the slightly smaller body to see the difference between the F and O. As you say they are built with high grade materials. The 010 I have is 20 odd years old and it feels so solid like it will last a thousand years if looked after! Its the first Lowden to have come into my hands:)
  • Yep...got to get out and try a room full.

I was thinking that the 'O' is where it's at with Lowden but you know all about that ;)

I had an F50 which just didn't have that monster low end of the 'O'. I also chose blingy woods (Tasmanian blackwood back & sides) and wish I'd gone with rosewood or walnut, etc. It wasn't a harsh guitar but it had a lot of mids (although I didn't have another 'F' to compare it to long term).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 699
    tFB Trader
    @Bradders I've played (and sold) many many models of Lowden - as @digitalkettle says you'll not find a bad one no matter what the spec is. The RT is a wonderful guitar and falls (IMHO) into the sweet spot of price vs spec. The "F" size whilst billed as a fingerstyle guitar is a great all-rounder unless you're a big heavy handed strummer. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @WindmillGuitars Thanks, its good to hear from others experience. I actually managed to go to project music in Exeter a couple of days ago, I live in North Cornwall so its not too far. I tried the F23c F25c and F32 all new, they all sounded good, though a bit clinical perhaps as they were new. I often find aged instruments have developed a more distinct depth and personality. Anyway, the O10 I have just has a resonance and openess to it with something unusal I can't put my finger on, something emotive and musical. The F models I tried didn't have the same resonance which I know is because they are designed to be more focused in tone. The RT examples I have listened to on YT seem to have that something extra. Its always hard to gauge without actually playing the guitar. Its been helpful to talk it through.