Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Car Insurance - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Car Insurance

What's Hot
Last Year £195.43
This years renewal......£271.71

FFS! You've gotta be kidding me
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Average increase this year is 41% according to Martin Lewis…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Yup.  They’re completely ripping the piss this year.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Motor insurers have spent £1.10 on claims for every £1 in premium in past 12 months and they want it back!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    The world is gonna look like Bladerunner in a few years.......the toffs with money living high above the city and the urchins living in high rise cardboard boxes.....like Dickens all over again
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    With Fentanyl instead of gin
    tae be or not tae be
  • I just quoted out of interest...

2015 M135i

5000 Miles

Fully Comp

12 Years NCD

No Accidents in past 6 years

Private carpark

£414 last year

£690 this year
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    They will end up with more people not paying insurance ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 569
    There's money to be made and it's a legal requirement, easily enforced with cameras.

Something like 25% of insurance companies' costs are for actual insurance. So many companies paying to run marketing campaigns to get customers to switch, duplicate IT systems, more and more dividends to pay . . . etc, etc. Life is getting more complex and at a cost.

Anybody remember when it was just £5 to drop on your parent's insurance as a learner.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    I'm waiting with dread!!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    axisus said:
    They will end up with more people not paying insurance ...
    Indeed they will but they all have to subscribe and chip in to the Motor Insurers Bureau who cover uninsured claims .
    So,in reality, they build in a contingency and we are all paying for those bastards anyway.
    There will just be more of them.
    I find insurance companies disgusting and dishonourable .......so many problems with various claims in the last 4 years ....
    they wriggle ,lie, try to justify delays etc etc ..........they have become like cheap con men until you inevitably have to issue proceedings or go to the ombudsman . Then they cave in and 'honour' the contract they signed with you.
     If a normal person or little business behaved like this they would be prosecuted for fraud .....they certainly don't hesitate to cancel a policy if you are 5 mins late paying ..........they're disgusting .
     What kind of business can simply increase prices 47% just because they had a loss making year last year ( too bad )........only ones that run a 'ring' /monopoly by concensus  and have a product that is a legal compulsory requirement to purchase .
     They are pieces of shit.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    My car insurance went up by about the same increment as yours @Hootsmon. ; I went onto comparison sites and there were a few coming back cheaper from companies I've never heard of, but when I drilled deeper and added back in the "extras" I had already ticked at the early stages of the process, they started getting almost up to my renewal quotation.

I hate insurance companies.  They are in a risk business that is always going to be a gamble, but why should people that have never claimed in 20 years have to pay a share of the amount they paid out to others via claims?
  • Is there a known reason why it has increased or has it been suppressed for several years & it is now readjusting?
    BillDL said:
    My car insurance went up by about the same increment as yours @Hootsmon. ; I went onto comparison sites and there were a few coming back cheaper from companies I've never heard of, but when I drilled deeper and added back in the "extras" I had already ticked at the early stages of the process, they started getting almost up to my renewal quotation.

I hate insurance companies.  They are in a risk business that is always going to be a gamble, but why should people that have never claimed in 20 years have to pay a share of the amount they paid out to others via claims?
    I understand your annoyance but that is literally the principal of insurance, the premiums of the many pay the losses of the few. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Is there a known reason why it has increased or has it been suppressed for several years & it is now readjusting?
    As i mentioned above they are losing money on every policy.  It’s mainly due to inflation on claims and delays on new cars and parts meaning they are paying much higher hire car charges etc.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    My premiums went up a lot this year. I tried to get it cheaper but other quotes were even higher. Interesting that two of the insurance companies had ‘don’t bother holding if you have a Tesla or a Range Rover, we won’t cover you’ on hold messages.

I believe EV insurance has gone through the the roof. I’d heard this is because they are worried about minor damage causing issues with the batteries and having to store EV’s away from other cars due to fire risk, but not sure how true that is.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Don’t complain too much. You’re still paying massively less than myself with a 1L Fabia. 

The cost of repairing cars is going up considerably, shortage of parts, and more complex vehicles are pushing it a lot. Tesla fans are celebrating that massive aluminium casting of entire sides of the car but not thinking about what that does for repair cost. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    Her indoors had hers go from £225 to a renewal quote of £750.  We paid £590 in the end.

2 years ago a little muppet, who had just passed his test and was busy looking at his phone, decided to shunt her couple of year old car into the car in front of hers. She was sat at traffic lights minding her own business and he ploughed into her. Both front and back of the car were a mess. He was probably doing 50 when he hit her car.  

The car was worth maybe 14k and the insurance company spent 12k repairing it. Didn’t seem like a sensible thing for them to do. Suppose we’re paying for it now. The idiot that caused the accident is probably still speeding and on his phone. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    My 18 year old son pays £1 per mile. Stop moaning old dudes ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    mrkb said:
    Does he have to feed pound coins into a slot on the dashboard like it’s an arcade game? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    mrkb said:
    My 18 year old son pays £1 per mile. Stop moaning old dudes
    Does he have to feed pound coins into a slot on the dashboard like it’s an arcade game? 
    If so does the fresh pound repair any damage to the car?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Penn said:
    mrkb said:
    Onboard Tracker thats linked to phone - £500 gets 500 miles insurance. Tracker checks driving vs speed limits, acceleration and braking style, sudden movements, checks if phone is used. So much stricter than most of the "experienced" drivers are assessed against.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • The amount of payouts dropped massively in lockdown because nobody was driving anywhere. So that led to massive profits for about 18 months.

Now it's nearly back to normal (there's still a lot more people doing lower mileage and working from home) but the shareholders still want to maintain the extra profit levels.

The insurers have claimed there is a massive increase in claims - of course.... but only from the tiny amount during lockdown... and they don't mention that anywhere in their 'justification'.

They are full of crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The amount of payouts dropped massively in lockdown because nobody was driving anywhere. So that led to massive profits for about 18 months.

Now it's nearly back to normal (there's still a lot more people doing lower mileage and working from home) but the shareholders still want to maintain the extra profit levels.

The insurers have claimed there is a massive increase in claims - of course.... but only from the tiny amount during lockdown... and they don't mention that anywhere in their 'justification'.

They are full of crap.
    Insurers spent £1.10 for every £1 they took in 2022, the current increases are expected to mean they spend 97,4p for every £1 they take in 2023/4 according to the FT
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    mrkb said:
    Penn said:
    mrkb said:
    Onboard Tracker thats linked to phone - £500 gets 500 miles insurance. Tracker checks driving vs speed limits, acceleration and braking style, sudden movements, checks if phone is used. So much stricter than most of the "experienced" drivers are assessed against.
    Cheaper to get taxi surely with that level of running cost.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    mrkb said:
    Penn said:
    mrkb said:
    Some taxi drivers object to some of the "back seat" activity though  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    nero1701 said:
    I just quoted out of interest...

2015 M135i

5000 Miles

Fully Comp

12 Years NCD

No Accidents in past 6 years

Private carpark

£414 last year

£690 this year
    Almost exactly this. My renewal quote arrived yesterday. £434 last year; £682 this year. That’s a 56% increase! Yours looks even worse. I’ve just been on the comparison websites and the cheapest like-for-like quote was £679 (a saving of £3); the most expensive was around the £1400 mark.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Yep, mine has gone up by around 50% - absolutely disgusted but what can we actually do?
    mrkb said:
    Penn said:
    mrkb said:
    Nearly, but to get cheaper insurance in future he needs to get driving experience… bit of a vicious circle.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckee said:
    The amount of payouts dropped massively in lockdown because nobody was driving anywhere. So that led to massive profits for about 18 months.

They are full of crap.
    Insurers spent £1.10 for every £1 they took in 2022, the current increases are expected to mean they spend 97,4p for every £1 they take in 2023/4 according to the FT
    Did that income include the massive amount they get from selling our data?

Only Admiral have ever been open about that in the past - they said data was actually a larger income than the insurance products themselves.
    munckee said:

They are full of crap.
    Did that income include the massive amount they get from selling our data?

Only Admiral have ever been open about that in the past - they said data was actually a larger income than the insurance products themselves.
    I believe GDPR has put paid to that but I might be wrong.