Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: Headless Chameleon - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: Headless Chameleon

What's Hot
BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770

Short version: Strandberg Boden Standard NX 6 Tremolo Limited Edition Chameleon Burst finish. 

Most of the time the edges match the back colour, but in the photos the light is reflecting off the white paper and flipping the colour.  The lack of a cover over the springs is a bit surprising:

The ’standard’ gig bag is actually really high quality, with rubber seals covering the zips and plenty of space for ‘bits’:

With my other pet ‘Chameleon’, the GSSGT:

Long version:  I’d been considering a Strandberg for a while, having always been interested in innovations in guitars, but put off by uncertainty about the unique neck profile (and unsure a quick try in a store would change/confirm that), and also finding I prefer the finishes on the 7 & 8 string models, but not wanting to jump into those extended ranges right now. So I've held off.

Seeing money off at GG led me to looking at the Strandberg site again, and I spotted this limited run, only available direct, and just one left in stock. I almost grabbed it on impulse, but thought I might regret it if I’d only bought it for the finish, and perhaps there were models I’d prefer - especially the HSS ones. So I spent time going through all the model and various options (there's a lot!), and basically realised that the switching arrangement on the HH would likely suit me better than HSS, and also the Standard offered a lower cost with it’s solid body design. But, a 6-string Standard HH with trem wasn’t in the range, apart from this LE model, so this was the perfect model, but now out of stock!

I signed up for email notifications in the hope that more were coming. But I was never contacted, instead, by chance I noticed two more were in stock a few days later, so I immediately ordered one (the other soon sold, but there are two more in today). 

First impressions:  I’m pretty amazed by it!  By far the lightest guitar I’ve ever played, really comfortable, including the neck (and I do a lot of thumb over playing). The fanned frets haven’t phased me, though I’d say I’m still adjusting to them, they just haven’t been a challenge. The simple 5 way selector gives 5 very different and usable settings; what it loses in versatility is made up for in simplicity and speed of use. Overall finish is excellent - I’d been a bit concerned about that, as the ‘influencers’ all rave about the perfect fret finishing, but several online reviews tell a very different story… But I’ve no complaints at all, perhaps I was just lucky and got one intended for an influencer. :) 

I’ll add a few more thoughts when I’ve spent a bit more time with it… so far, very happy. :) 
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Even though I probably shouldn't, I quite like the shape of those. Should imagine it to be very comfortable to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Really like that. It’s a lovely finish. 

You can really see the V shape of the back of the neck. Is it quite a small neck?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I really like the looks of headless guitars, however the lack of a headstock disorients me, as being able to see a headstock out of the corner of my eye makes it easy for me to orient myself on the fretboard.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 427
    Lovely - I really fancy a Strandberg at some point. The finish of that on looks amazing. 

How is the trem?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Love it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Fabulous in every way! I would happily own that!
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    Excellent! How did it work with VAT and import - was that all handled by Strandberg?
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    CHRISB50 said:
    Really like that. It’s a lovely finish. 

You can really see the V shape of the back of the neck. Is it quite a small neck?
    I haven't tried to measure it, but it doesn't feel small when your thumb is behind, yet my thumb can wrap around very easily - I guess that's the nature of a v-type shape. It's like a 'v' with a very flattened point that transitions around the neck as you go up it. This enable your thumb and wrist to move in natural ways as you move up the neck (and for me it seems to apply with 'thumb over' playing too).

The way Strandberg describe their Endurneck profile encourages some people to object on the grounds that they "don't want a guitar neck to be telling my thumb/hand/wrist what to do..."  But my impression so far is that it would be better to describe it as 'the neck knows what your thumb/hand/wrist wants to do and cooperates fully, so your brain doesn't have to force them to do anything' (using equally nonsensical terms). 

One of the things that got me interested was the fact that I've been getting some pains in my left hand - and quite a lot of people have described the Endurneck as having really helped alleviate pain issues in hands, arms, & shoulders. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Elwood said:
    Lovely - I really fancy a Strandberg at some point. The finish of that on looks amazing. 

How is the trem?
    It's a bit early for me to say, as I haven't really gone to town with it - but the tuning has been very stable when I've used it. It's basically a locking system as the strings are locked behind the zero fret. It feels quite stiff for two springs (and extra springs are supplied), but it still has the 'floaty' feel you'd expect. I gather you can also remove the trem and fit it to the posts in a different position, which alters the feel - I can't recall the details, but presumably that would be a softer feel. (It was described on one of the maintenance videos on Strandberg's site).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    willo said:
    Excellent! How did it work with VAT and import - was that all handled by Strandberg?
    Not quite; Strandberg don't add VAT or delivery charges, instead you get contacted by DHL with a link to pay online. All very straightforward, one charge covers everything; 20% VAT, Duty (about £30) and collection fee (£11). So Brexit added about £40: I've had worse outcomes from it, but I won't go into that here... ;) 

(Note: If you click the UK/£ sign on the Strandberg site prices switch to £ without VAT. At some points you may then see a VAT figure, but ignore it, it won't be on the payment page)
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    Winner! Thanks
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Nice guitar. Headless is definitely the way to go.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.