Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is my Boss Katana kaput? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is my Boss Katana kaput?

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
...it would certainly appear so

I have a mark 1 Boss Katana 50, and have never had any problems with it before. Only really used it at home and it's great.

However, I just switched it on and it seemed to fizz and crackle a little bit, (sort of by the power switch, but that's very close where the lead connects) then the lights lit, then faded out. Tried it again, same thing. Now it doesn't power on at all.

There are no problems with elec-trickery in the house, looks like the amp has just died. Has anyone else had the same issue? Could it just be the power lead?

I've had it over 5 years so it's now out of the warranty, but I thought I might have got a few more years out of it.
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Icbm & Danny1969 on standby they will know if anybody
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Definitely maybe.

But then maybe not.

:# 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    Have you checked the Fuse !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I'm tempted to say there's one less Katana MkI in the world which can't be a bad thing, but...

;)

It could just be the power cable - if the contacts have got stretched it won't make a very good contact, and the resulting arcing will then burn away what's still touching. Have a look at the pins in the socket with a good light and see if they look blackened or burned. If no, try a different power cable. If yes, it probably is the cable but you should have the socket replaced before trying a new one.

If it's none of that, it could be the power switch. A tech would be able to confirm or eliminate that in a few minutes. If it's nothing to do with the cable, switch or any other bad contact on the mains side, then it's likely to be a power supply failure which may be more terminal... probably repairable for a tech who knows what they're doing, but much more complex and expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    OK thanks, power lead on the way, see where that "leads" us.

In the meantime, time to crank up the Squier stack !!!!

There goes the neighbourhood !!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    tony99 said:

Those actually sound OK through a decent speaker :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited September 2023
    ICBM said:
    tony99 said:

Those actually sound OK through a decent speaker .
    Yeah right, it has two amp model settings - bluebottle or angry wasp