Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Howling P90! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Howling P90!

What's Hot
I’ve got a Les Paul junior build which I’ve used live at some outdoor gigs over the summer. Understandably I got some howling when I really stacked on the gain. I haven’t used it for a while but took it to rehearsal last night and I couldn’t get it above a very moderate drive (Tom Petty or mild AC/DC levels) before it howled uncontrollably. No chance of using a fuzz which is a shame as we were doing some Gary Clark Jr stuff.

Could it just have been the room? Can pickups become more microphonic over time? Any solutions?

I thought about using an eq on my HX stomp with a very narrow Q to act as a sort of notch filter. Would this work? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    It could be the room ... however:
    Pickups can get more microphonic with time is you can get movement on internal components. I would check the two bobbin screws under the pickup are tight (but not over tight as to strip out the bobbin) If those screws are loose then magnets, baseplate and keeper bar can all move a little relative to each other. If it's a soapbar ...while you are at it I might put a bit of foam/extra foam under the pickup. If it's a dogear then make sure it's actually screwed into the guitar firmly. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @OilCityPickups thanks Ash! I will take the pickup out when I re string it and make sure the screws on the bottom are tight. It’s a dog ear so will make sure it’s snuggly screwed into the body when I put it back. Will see how I go!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @OilCityPickups thanks Ash! I will take the pickup out when I re string it and make sure the screws on the bottom are tight. It’s a dog ear so will make sure it’s snuggly screwed into the body when I put it back. Will see how I go!!!
    Even with a dog ear putting a bit of foam under it can help :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @OilCityPickups thanks Ash! I will take the pickup out when I re string it and make sure the screws on the bottom are tight. It’s a dog ear so will make sure it’s snuggly screwed into the body when I put it back. Will see how I go!!!
    Even with a dog ear putting a bit of foam under it can help :-)
    Ah ok no problem, I have got some bits of foam so will cut to size and put that in as well
  • @OilCityPickups thanks for the advice Ash. All the screws were nice and tight so have added some foam underneath. Will see how I get on otherwise I might have to swap it for a lightly potted version
    tFB Trader
    @OilCityPickups thanks for the advice Ash. All the screws were nice and tight so have added some foam underneath. Will see how I get on otherwise I might have to swap it for a lightly potted version
    Or get it lightly potted :-)