Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's the difference between Gibson Les Paul Standards and Classics? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's the difference between Gibson Les Paul Standards and Classics?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3464
As above.

I know Classics usually have different pickups but aside from that are there any major differences?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Jay100Jay100 Frets: 12
    edited September 2023
    Classics are weight relieved, but in my experience are just as heavy. In my experience too, having owned 2 x Classics and 2 x Standards (1 x 50s, 1 x 60s) the Classics had notably poorer QC. All were from simillar years of production.

Poorly cut nuts, binding gouges, finish imperfections and frets that were super low. Both of these went in the end.

My Standards however are close to flawless! Perhaps purely anecdotal, but my experience anyway.

Classics have all the push-pull bits too though if that’s your thing. Same pickups as the Standard 60s but uncovered.

There’s rumours of the the Classics being discontinued with a lot of retailers dropping prices on them (ironically after Gibson put all their prices up) and stock being harder to come by.

Might be the time to look for one if that’s the case?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Snot green inlays on classics, plain top and slim neck profile iirc. Other than that, I don’t believe there is a huge amount in it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Snot green inlays on classics, plain top and slim neck profile iirc. Other than that, I don’t believe there is a huge amount in it. 
    There snot green inlays were only on the classics in the late 90s and early 00s. Recent ones have normal pearl coloured acrylic inlays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited September 2023
    Neil said:
    As above.

I know Classics usually have different pickups but aside from that are there any major differences?
    Standards and Classics have both changed specs drastically over the years with some years having more/less similarity between models than others.

I assume you're talking about the current run?

In that case, on paper, there's not much in it; especially if you're comparing Classic Vs Standard 60s. As above plain vs AA (i.e. not very nice or fancy) flame, zebra vs covered pus (Burstbucker 60 in both), push/pull circuitry with quick connect pcb vs hand wired, weight relieved vs full weight body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 531
    On the later / current ones, they’ve even replaced the word ‘Classic’ on the headstock to ‘model’  same as Standards….. zebra pickup and pcb wiring replacement of your own choice is probably still a viable option, cost wise?  Some of the new classics have lovely tops.
  • BigPaulie said:
    Snot green inlays on classics, plain top and slim neck profile iirc. Other than that, I don’t believe there is a huge amount in it. 
    There snot green inlays were only on the classics in the late 90s and early 00s. Recent ones have normal pearl coloured acrylic inlays.
    I hadn’t realised they’d changed back (shows how much attention I have been paying). :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The current Classic has:

Weight relief
    Plain top
    Uncovered zebra Burstbuckers
    Coil taps, out of phase and pure bypass push/pull pots

• The Les Paul Classic, is a lot more expensive than a Harley Benton, and nowhere near as good as a Harley Benton, where as the Les Paul Standard is a hell of a lot more expensive than a Harley Benton, while at the same time being nowhere near as good as a Harley Benton.

Simple really.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    BigPaulie said:
    Snot green inlays on classics, plain top and slim neck profile iirc. Other than that, I don’t believe there is a huge amount in it. 
    I hadn’t realised they’d changed back (shows how much attention I have been paying). :)
    I always thought they were  more piss yellow than snot green...

They used to say "1960" on the scratchplate as well, and had uncovered 500T/496R pickups, so they were quite easy to spot even from a distance.  I'm not sure when they discontinued all those features.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I've come to really like the snot inlays - a complete reversal of my previous position. Funny how things are
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    roberty said:
    I've come to really like the snot inlays - a complete reversal of my previous position. Funny how things are
    Not a fan of the snot/piss inlays TBH but it's funny how your tastes change over time.