Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Amp guru advice, reverb issue - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Amp guru advice, reverb issue

dindudedindude Frets: 8409
I have a valve amp and it has a weird thing where the reverb level differs when I switch it on. So say I set the reverb knob at half way, I can switch it from standby and it'll sound about right for the level and other times it can be completely swamped with the same setting. Is this a common thing, and is it a sign of bad valve, bad reverb tank, bad circuitry?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 638
    Try swapping the valve out in the first instance 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Are the other settings the same as well? 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I sorted exactly the same problem on a friend’s amp, it was an intermittent connection to the ground lug on the reverb level pot caused by a cracked solder joint. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Thanks all. Yes the other settings are fine so sounds more like problem Keefy is referring to. Don’t mind taking a soldering iron to my guitars but I def don’t know what I’m doing with amps so will probably get a service in time. Won’t hard to change the reverb valve in the meantime, I have one kicking around.
  • It’s probably a long shot, but check the connections to the reverb tank. I had issues with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe reverb and this resolved the issue.