Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strats with fat necks - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strats with fat necks

What's Hot
LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1179
edited September 2023 in Guitar
Itching for a Strat again but most the ones I’ve tried have quite shallow necks. 
For reference, I love the Baja Tele profile and 50s Les Paul style necks. 
Is there a particular range I should be looking at or is it just pot luck?
Budget of £700-800ish so looking at used, definitely not custom shop gear. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    You might want to edit the thread title. Faff necks?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    edited September 2023
    The stuff I can think of is out of your budget- American Vintage 65, American Original 60s, Hot Rod 62. 

It might be worth trying a 50s style as it’ll have a similar v to the baja though. The classic player would be worth a try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Anyway, were you thinking '60s style, or maybe '50s?  For the former, the USA Hot Rod '62 Strats had pretty chunky necks, but they were discontinued around 2011.  And I guess prices would be inflated if you could find one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    FAFF
    Flat as fucking fuck
    Or
    Fat as fucking fuck

Enquiring minds want to know.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    Bloody phone lol. 
  • Been looking at a 62 AVRI near me but not had a chance to check it out in person. 

I tend to notice it more on Fenders (always played Gibsons or similar). I think if the fretboard edges are rounded, the depth of the neck doesn’t matter quite as much - it’s when they have that sharp edge that digs into my fingers which I seem to find more on the Strats I’ve tried. 

Doesn’t stop me wanting one though!
  • The EOB signature strat has the most Baja'esc neck that I can think of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The EOB signature strat has the most Baja'esc neck that I can think of.
    RadioEd’s Strat?
  • 62 AVRI
    chris78 said:
    American Vintage 65. 
    I have one of each of these. 

The former has a neck profile that will offend few users. The latter is a chunky D profile that would not be out of place on some Telecasters.

Their respective tones are different. The AVRI 62 is the sort of guitar I would use in a four-piece band. The AV 65 would be my choice for a trio. Its fuller/darker tone would occupy more space in the overall sound.
    Be seeing you.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The EOB signature strat has the most Baja'esc neck that I can think of.
    RadioEd’s Strat?
    Yep I actually love mine. Represents great value vs the newer Mexi models (esp Mexi sig models). Project have one for £1.1k atm I think. Not really a traditional strat tho. Maybe you'll find just a neck, some people hate them
  • Yeah as much as I love Ed, I’m not keen on the extra switches etc. Probably out of budget anyway. 
  • Fender JV Modified has a nice big soft v
  • Out of budget, but the EJ neck is a pretty chunky V with the added bonus of having a none-more-Gibbo 12" radius. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78 said:
    a 50s style as it’ll have a similar v to the baja
    The old 50s Player had a 7¼" fingerboard radius and skinny fret wire. The 50s Classic Player is a flatter radius and bigger wire. Hence, probably closer to the Baja reference.
    Be seeing you.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    The Classic series '70's has a nice thick U neck. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    edited September 2023
    Based on your description the AO50s strat is exactly what you want. The fretboard is rolled and just a joy to play. The EOB was a bit more ‘square’ in my experience (although was a while ago). Would obviously take a few more hundred on your budget, but worth the wait imo.
  • I've got a feeling the Kenny Wayne Shepherd model has a huge neck. I haven't tried one but I'm sure I've seen them mentioned in these discussions. 

But I'd agree the AO50s would be great if you can stretch
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Neil said:
    The Classic series '70's has a nice thick U neck. 
    Yep, I've got one of these, reprofiled from 7.25 to 12 radius, with medium jumbo frets, and it's an absolute joy to play.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited September 2023
    It’s not FAT fat but have you thought or considered about  the SE silver sky? The necks really comfy and fills the hand nicely. Based on a 63 strat profile I think I read. Plus they sound great. 
  • I struggled to find a fat neck Strat so in the end I ordered a custom order through Warmoth. But you could potentially buy a Mexican Strat body then order a fat neck from Warmoth, still come up pretty affordable
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    AO50s is exactly what you want - if you can live with vintage frets. I have a feeling if I ever get mine refretted with something bigger it will be about perfect.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions, not really being a Fender player, the options are pretty overwhelming and I don’t know what half the abbreviations mean lol. 
    What about the Vintera 50s model? Peach have some cheap atm. 
  • Scratch that, not sure I’d like the 7.25” radius. Had an AVRI 52 Tele with one iirc and never got on with bending strings on it. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    The Allparts SRO or SMO FAT are pretty good if you end up going down the neck swap route 
  • DanDan Frets: 429
    Ive recently got one of the older Vintera (I) 60's pau ferro strats which is medium chunky. Roughly .850 at the 1st and .970 at the 12th. Really like the 10/56V neck and really quite picky but the neck on this Vintera is surprisingly nice.

A decent resource for checking out neck depths is wildwood guitars in the US - https://wildwoodguitars.com/
    Dan said:
    A decent resource for checking out neck depths is wildwood guitars in the US - https://wildwoodguitars.com/
    Yes, good suggestion.  And they measure each individual guitar, which gives an idea of real-life slight variances as opposed to a theoretical measurement (if there even is one) on a manufacturer's site.
  • My Mexican Kenny Wayne Shepherd has a big neck 12" radius and jumbo frets i believe. Feels both thick and wide compared to my other strats.
  • UHASUHAS Frets: 120
    have a look at this one at Rich Tone , baseball bat neck on a Strat :)
    https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-vintera-road-worn-mischief-maker-60s-strat-purple-metallic-2nd-hand/
  • UHAS said:
    Wow that is one fugly guitar! :open_mouth: