Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Triton Surface planer / jointer - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Triton Surface planer / jointer

What's Hot
Anyone have one of these or have any experience of
one ?   Ive been looking for a small but decent jointer for the workshop for jointing 2 piece body blanks and also flattening necks   
I cant really accomodate a proper 2nd hand wadkin etc 
Looks pretty good for the price point and seems to get good reviews. 
Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    You can make a jointing jig for a router if you're short on space and have a bench... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I've got an Axminster branded one, thinking it would be my panacea for jointing.

I've never managed to get it working correctly (it's set-up correctly, I'm pretty sure it's a user-error thing) so it sits in the corner taking up space and collecting dust.

Well set-up bandsaw, followed by a router and straight edge, and then a sanding beam does it for me now.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    edited September 2023
    Several years ago I loaned my floor standing Kity planer/jointer to my son, who is four hours drive away. Until I got it back I used a similar method to Tony: saw, router, hand plane, then cabinet scraper. A final trick is to put a pinch of table salt between the edges, and rub then together. The salt crystals are abrasive, taking out any remaining high spots, and breaking down to finer particles as they work. The resulting surfaces might not be perfectly level, but they match each other.
    PeteC said: I cant really accomodate a proper 2nd hand wadkin etc. 
    Neither can I really. So I put the planer, band saw, and table saw on locking wheels, and pull them out as I need them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    I've got an Axminster 150 mm surface planer that I've been using for about 15 years brilliant piece of kit. I don't think they make it any more, but you can pick them up secondhand ones for about £500. They're on wheels so you can just push them out the way when not in use. They save so much time and effort, I would say it takes maybe two minutes to plan up two pieces of wood to join a body blank. They are also perfect for planing neck blanks and finger boards. I've also got a heavy duty planer sickness, thicknesses, but, to be honest, it doesn't do the jointing anywhere near as good as the surface planer.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Thanks for the info gents - much appreciated.   

For now I think I am just going to persevere with my triton thicknesser and my router table edge jointing jig - i just acquired a very nice whiteside spiral bit that should make the jointing jig on the router table a breeze.  

Maybe i will get hold of a decent surface planer once ive sold a few more guitars and can justify it.